Timeout issue with Alpha 17 and LiteNetLib - any recommendation to try?

Temil2006

Running a dedicated server with newest Alpha 17 build. Having alot of issues with timeouts with myself and others on the server. We have tracked it down to an issue with the "LiteNetLib" or how it's being handled with this build. There are a few different situations that we have issues..

1. If we login, play for a bit, the randomly disconnect, no errors just sent back to the server screen.

2. If we login, get fully to the world, then ALT-TAB, 5-10secs later same timeout and sent back to the server screen. (tested both fullscreen and windowed with the same outcome).

3. We change over to "SteamNetworking" and the issue went away, however the delay in game was so bad that we had 20-30secs of delay in some cases, which would happen every 2-5 mins repeatedly, making it very hard to play, but we never ever got the timeout issues with "SteamNetworking" and only with "LiteNetLib".

Below is the snippet of the log, this one was from login to work, wait 10secs, Alt-Tab, and you will see the timestamp shows..

52:14 :: connected

52:24 :: This is when alt-tabed as a test

52:29 :: only 5secs later, shows disconnected via Timeout.

This is 100% repeatable via Alt-Tab on 4 different PCs. However, the random cause mid game for timeout disconnects, i'm not sure what causes that and can't find a repeatable cause.

2018-12-10T21:52:14 202.315 INF GMSG: Player 'Temil2006' joined the game
2018-12-10T21:52:14 202.320 INF PlayerSpawnedInWorld (reason: JoinMultiplayer, position: 655, 55, -564): EntityID=171, PlayerID='76561198003189408', OwnerID='76561198003189408', PlayerName='Temil2006'
2018-12-10T21:52:29 216.890 INF NET: LiteNetLib: Client disconnect from: 47.196.196.21:53336 (Timeout)

Similar problem here. It was running fine, updated to this new version (b221), and I can connect, play for about 5-10 seconds, then I get booted back to the main 7DTD screen on my client, and my server console says this:

2018-12-13T00:15:37 232.758 INF PlayerSpawnedInWorld (reason: JoinMultiplayer, position: -1835, 77, 115): EntityID=171, PlayerID='xxxxxxxxxxxxxx', OwnerID='xxxxxxxxxxxxxx', PlayerName='xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'

2018-12-13T00:15:48 243.667 INF NET: LiteNetLib: Client disconnect from: 192.168.0.243:64458 (Timeout)

2018-12-13T00:15:48 243.667 INF [NET] PlayerDisconnected EntityID=171, PlayerID='xxxxxxxxxxxxxx', OwnerID='xxxxxxxxxxxxxx', PlayerName='xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'

Other have tried and they experience the same issue.

Haven't tried deleting the world yet and starting over, as I was under the impression that this wasn't needed anymore. Other ideas? The server kicks my telnet session off the console when this happen as well.

Try to update BadCompany mod and Alloc`s Fixes if you`re using dedicated server

um, the server I run is 100% clean, no mods installed. Not sure how you expect me to update mods, that aren't installed, and I want to run the game clean without mods, unless you are saying this mods don't change aspects of the game? My understanding was that "BadCompany" changed aspects though. correct me if i'm wrong?

Ok, check your serverconfig.xml

Maybe you`ve got that setting:

<property name="ServerDisabledNetworkProtocols" value="SteamNetworking" />

<!-- Networking protocols that should not be used. Separated by comma. Possible values: LiteNetLib, SteamNetworking. Dedicated servers should disable SteamNetworking if there is no NAT router in between your users and the server or when port-forwarding is set up correctly -->

try to change value if You`ve got LiteNetLib

I own a cloud server, and in my config there is SteamNetworking (cause I dont have router/modem on it)

Ok, check your serverconfig.xml

Maybe you`ve got that setting:

try to change value if You`ve got LiteNetLib

I own a cloud server, and in my config there is SteamNetworking (cause I dont have router/modem on it)

not to sound rude, but did you even read my post? as I clearly stated, when I have it set to use LitNetLib, it has the disconnection issues. When I change it to SteamNetworking, no more disconnection issues, but instead has massive lag where it goes 20-30secs then a burst of data packets. I'm hosting via "Nitrado.net" and never had a problem with them. I have 3 servers with them, 1 for ark, 1 for 7d2d prod, and 1 for experimental. only the experimental has the issue.

we have the same "timeout issue" on a local windows dedi server

its new to 17e. didnt have that with 16.4

----------

edit:

we solved it for "us".

- the remote PC having a problem was a "couch potato"

- we noticed it "timeout" after 2 minutes, always. other PC "faster" didnt

- we were using a 10k world, we resized it to 8192....it worked

- (the problem PC also desactivated discord on his end)

- we have LibNetLib "desactivated" too

we have the same "timeout issue" on a local windows dedi server

its new to 17e. didnt have that with 16.4

----------

edit:

we solved it for "us".

- the remote PC having a problem was a "couch potato"

- we noticed it "timeout" after 2 minutes, always. other PC "faster" didnt

- we were using a 10k world, we resized it to 8192....it worked

- (the problem PC also desactivated discord on his end)

- we have LibNetLib "desactivated" too

appreciate the info. only thing is, I'm running mine on a dedicated cloud server, not on local stand alone PC. so no discord, etc. and running this via the Navezgane world, not random. Are you saying you are using random? and no issues, haven't tried changing that around to see if it matters.

• 1 month later...

We've found the solution to this problem.

The issue is because the server contains another user that is your friend. If this is the case, the game will try to use SteamNetworking to connect to the server instead of a direct connection. Typically, dedicated servers disable SteamNetworking as a best practice.

The workaround:

1) Sign out of Steam Friends & Chat

2) Connect to game

3) You can now sign back in to Steam Friends & Chat

• 4 weeks later...
not to sound rude, but did you even read my post? as I clearly stated, when I have it set to use LitNetLib, it has the disconnection issues. When I change it to SteamNetworking, no more disconnection issues, but instead has massive lag where it goes 20-30secs then a burst of data packets. I'm hosting via "Nitrado.net" and never had a problem with them. I have 3 servers with them, 1 for ark, 1 for 7d2d prod, and 1 for experimental. only the experimental has the issue.

Well you did sound rude. You don’t “set it to use” a specific protocol. You set in serverconfig or via your launch script to “DISABLE USE” of specific protocols. In this case, the topic is whether the behavior is better or worse, when disabling or Not Disabling LiteNetLib, Unet, or SteamNetworking,

Now; if what you meant to say is that you “don’t disable” one protocol or another, then it would have been much more clear to everyone the message you’re trying to convey.

• 2 weeks later...

This has been plaguing me since the new release b20. I've tried disabling SteamNetworking, signing out of Steam Friends, both. Even trying to disable LiteNetLib, still crashes the server and kicks my client out. Client side says it's LiteNetLib ( NET: LiteNetLib: Client disconnect from...)

Still nothing doing. Fresh installs of client and DS. Anyone find anything else that could be the cause?

Still happening as of 20190222.

• 3 months later...

The players on my server are getting very tired of this bug.

Some can play for hours no issue, others can't play at all without crashing from this every 10 minutes, or every 3rd time they open their inventory.

It seems directly linked to opening loot containers, a menu, or talking to NPC trader

The players on my server are getting very tired of this bug.

Some can play for hours no issue, others can't play at all without crashing from this every 10 minutes, or every 3rd time they open their inventory.

It seems directly linked to opening loot containers, a menu, or talking to NPC trader

Did you disable LiteNetLib?

2018-12-13T00:15:37 232.758 INF PlayerSpawnedInWorld (reason: JoinMultiplayer, position: -1835, 77, 115): EntityID=171, PlayerID='xxxxxxxxxxxxxx', OwnerID='xxxxxxxxxxxxxx', PlayerName='xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'

2018-12-13T00:15:48 243.667 INF NET: LiteNetLib: Client disconnect from: 192.168.0.243:64458 (Timeout)

2018-12-13T00:15:48 243.667 INF [NET] PlayerDisconnected EntityID=171, PlayerID='xxxxxxxxxxxxxx', OwnerID='xxxxxxxxxxxxxx', PlayerName='xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'

Other have tried and they experience the same issue.

Haven't tried deleting the world yet and starting over, as I was under the impression that this wasn't needed anymore. Other ideas? The server kicks my telnet session off the console when this happen as well.

I have this same problem in A 17.4. Changing serverconfig on either PC does not fix this. Tried connecting via LAN, P2P, and IP connect. No avail. Using suggested methods on other discussions such as using steam invites didn't work either.

Game is unplayable for multiplayer at this point until it is fixed.

Try disabling IPv6 on the server. This isn't an issue for the majority of servers out there, so the game is perfectly playable for multiplayer.

It's curious as to what your issue actually is.

Logs from both the client and the server when this issue occurs would be helpful in determining it.

Moving the post to the correct forum section so you can read the Sticky thread on how to report an issue.

Try disabling IPv6 on the server.

Not running a server, just playing LAN. Only computers being used are the ones in the same room. Serverconfig makes no difference as stated earlier. This was not an issue pre A14.

Not running a server, just playing LAN. Only computers being used are the ones in the same room. Serverconfig makes no difference as stated earlier. This was not an issue pre A14.

Technically local MP is still the "server". You're the host. It's worth a shot. I have seen an issue with some systems or modems where having IPv6 enabled will cause connection issues on game clients that are only using IPv4. It's pretty rare, but it can happen. Don't deny a fix just because you don't understand it, or that it didn't happen before. A lot has changed in the world of networking since a14 existed.

• 2 months later...
Try disabling IPv6 on the server. This isn't an issue for the majority of servers out there, so the game is perfectly playable for multiplayer.

It's curious as to what your issue actually is.

Logs from both the client and the server when this issue occurs would be helpful in determining it.

Moving the post to the correct forum section so you can read the Sticky thread on how to report an issue.

This is the one nugget across all of the various posts on this issue that actually helped me get to the bottom of the issue and how to fix it.

First - answer the question - Are you hosting from a VPN windows 2008 / 2012 server box? Are you hosting from a local pc on your network? Is your host one where you have little to no ability to make changes (example Pingperfect 7d2d hosting)

The answer helps you derrive where to fix the problem, but it's pretty simple to fix once you know where to focus.

On an actual server or VPN server, you want to go into the network properties (i.e. Network & Internet settings), find and click on "Change adapter options", right click on your adapter and select "Properties". In the list of things your network adapter is using, UNCHECK the box for IPv6.

If you have no control over the server (Pingperfect or you just play on random peoples games and have no say over the matter), you can do the SAME thing to your own pc using the same steps to shut off your IPv6. OR... you can do the same thing from your router/cable modem set-up. Meaning go in as an admin to your router or cable modem, go through the many options until you can find the part about the IPv6 settings, and disable it. (Just because Comcast forces it on by default doesn't mean you can't shut it off).

Hope that helps someone out there save some time - it has taken me about a week to debug the problem and test that this solution is working.

Archived