I keep stopping when running ?

DigitalSanctuary

Did you really want to say "toolbelt" item or "equipped" item instead of "inventory" item?

If yes, middle mouse scroll is usually bound to change items you have in your hand, so you might have somehow bound your shift key+'W' to act like the middle mouse button

Did you really want to say "toolbelt" item or "equipped" item instead of "inventory" item?

If yes, middle mouse scroll is usually bound to change items you have in your hand, so you might have somehow bound your shift key+'W' to act like the middle mouse button

Yes i ment toolbelt, No middle mouse button!, So thats NOT the issue & no custom binds.

Have a game controller plugged in?

No controller at all never use one on the PC.

This is a clean install of the OS & steam / game as well. Its so frustraighting.

No middle mouse button!,

What exactly do you mean by that? Do you have a mouse without a middle button?

Really really abstruse theory following: It might be possible that windows or the game puts the scroll function on some other keys if there is no middle mouse button to set it too. DId I say abstruse? It is. Would also be a bug, but at least an understandable one.

I mean exatly that " A Mouse With No Middle Button " Whats so strange about that... Don't judge me bcause i like a mouse with no middle mouse button or any other buttons apart from left & right mouse buttons, Shhhesh.

And like i said allready no custom binds, i doubt it windows But i do find it difficult to understand, So do eveybody eles.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-USB-Optical-3-Button-Mouse-No-scroll-wheel-DY651A/182294869080?hash=item2a719ef458:g:Tg0AAOSw8gVX6pcn

What keys do you have binded for scrolling through the toolbelt?

None because its just the default keyboard layout.

When you say, "no middle mouse button" does that also mean you do not have a scroll wheel on the mouse?

Do you stop moving when you hit the 'left shift' and 'w' keys to run?

I do not quite understand what people find so difficult about having "no middle mouse button"

No middle mouse button means exactly that no button period!.

And That would also mean "NO" scroll wheel.

And why nobody commented on my link to the mouse i currently have see link below

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-USB-Optical-3-Button-Mouse-No-scroll-wheel-DY651A/182294869080?hash=item2a719ef458:g:Tg0AAOSw8gVX6pcn

When i start running i am pressing the Left Shift & The W key and after about 10 seconds of running i just suddenly stop running and then the item in the toolbelt changes all buy it self, So i have no idea what's going on for this to happen every time i attempt to run?.

I now at the point where i am NOT playing the game any more which is not exactly how i want to leave this game in this way. :upset:

None because its just the default keyboard layout.

I do not quite understand what people find so difficult about having "no middle mouse button"

No middle mouse button means exactly that no button period!.

And That would also mean "NO" scroll wheel.

And why nobody commented on my link to the mouse i currently have see link below

When i start running i am pressing the Left Shift & The W key and after about 10 seconds of running i just suddenly stop running and then the item in the toolbelt changes all buy it self, So i have no idea what's going on for this to happen every time i attempt to run?.

I now at the point where i am NOT playing the game any more which is not exactly how i want to leave this game in this way. :upset:

Equally vexing is your statement that you have no middle mouse button when the link you posted shows a mouse with three buttons and is even titled "HP USB Optical 3 Button Mouse". Now usually with 3 buttons it is quite hard to not have a middle button :cocksure:

Now you surely (hopefully) have a friend with a normal mouse you could lend and try out on your PC. If it doesn't change anything you at least know that your problem isn't because of your "special" mouse.

Because it's an easy $7 fix. The game recognizes the mouse as having a middle button (which it does). It's just not a scroll button. It is most likely interpreting it incorrectly. To be honest, I was surprised the mouse wasn't using a PS2 connection, considering I haven't seen a mouse like that in over 15-20 years ago. Unless the OP intentionally went in and messed up his key bindings, this is probably the case. Why bother spending hours troubleshooting something that can be fixed with a quick trip to any electronics store with a ten dollar bill?

And yes, this is an honest answer, not meaning to be sarcastic.

Because it's an easy $7 fix.

And yes, this is an honest answer, not meaning to be sarcastic.

Not trying to give you a hard time, I just don't get it. The op says he can't run, which is a keyboard operation, not a mouse operation.

He (or she) also says the toolbar switches, which is generally a mouse operation, but he's hitting the keyboard when it happens. Again, a keyboard problem.

I disconnected my mouse and hit left shift/W and was still able to run, so I don't see how the two are connected.

You can do this, which would duplicate his problem.

349949618_leftshifterror.thumb.jpg.ed4b1f4eb090e866ce0ac21d8fe19fb9.jpg

Maybe having a two button mouse is messing up the mappings, and a normal mouse may fix that.

But redoing the mappings may also fix it.

You might be right, a mouse might fix it, but, I think it's a mapping problem.

The OP actually has a 3 button mouse according to the link he gave (Someone is selling that mouse for waaay too much). I'll see if I can find one in my chest of old scrap and try and emulate his issue for giggles. We've talked back and forth enough that I might as well at this point just to satisfy my own curiosity....LOL. He kept talking like it was only a 2 button mouse, but the image/model is clearly an older HP 3 button mouse. If it was merely a keyboard mapping, just resetting the mappings would fix it, don't you think?

Not trying to give you a hard time, I just don't get it. The op says he can't run, which is a keyboard operation, not a mouse operation.

He (or she) also says the toolbar switches, which is generally a mouse operation, but he's hitting the keyboard when it happens. Again, a keyboard problem.

Software bugs are quite versatile and chaotic and his no-scroll-wheel mouse is something that distinguishes his situation from the norm. This is a general reason to suspect there might be a connection.

There is another more specific reason: The effect he creates with his running is something usually mapped to the scroll-wheel of the mouse (i.e. the toolbar switch)

Usually at startup keys and mouse functions are mapped according to the config to specific keys. The scroll-wheel, being no simple on/off key might have a special routine that handles the events coming from the mouse. Now this special code was likely never tested with a PC where there was no scroll wheel.

Examples of bugs that could happen are

1) The scroll-wheel routine initialization code is never called but the routine itself is still called in specific circumstances and wreaks havoc then

2) The initialization code when called with no key mapping sets it to some semi-random mapping value that coincidentally is the "W" keyboard code. So instead of no mapping there is always a mapping of the scroll-wheel function.

This is fishing in the dark naturally, we don't have the code to refute hypothesises directly. The special routine I was talking about isn't all that likely because the scroll-wheel might as well just produce standard key-press and -release events, no need for handling it differently than keyboard. But it is a theory that fits the problem and we got no better. And the best part about this theory is that it is easy to test by just connecting a normal mouse.

Without more and better feedback from the op we're stuck trying to help. If the computer was in front of one of us we'd just mess with the control settings or swap out the mouse and see what happens. He very specifically describes a two button mouse, then sends a picture of a three button mouse. That's not quality feedback.

Also @Meganoth, thanks for the explanations. I noticed in the control options that the toolbar switching by default is un-mapped, yet works with the scroll wheel, and that zoom in/out is mapped to the scroll wheel. So there is some mysterious coding going on with the mouse wheel, like you said.

Archived