Radeon RX 5700 XT - Graphic Artifacts

Ti2xGr

Yesterday, in an effort to get a great bang for the buck upgrade from my NVidia GTX 1070, I decided to purchase the Radeon RX 5700 XT. The cost and the specs almost as good as the RTX 2070 Super were my primary reasons for trying it out.

I got the drivers installed, ran some benchmarks and was thrilled with the results. It ran 4K on Heaven benchmark tests with almost a perfect 60FPS during the test.

I went to test out my favorite game (7 days to die)... and I could see the improvement right out of the gate...until I started getting screen tearing. I thought...mmm, maybe I'm pushing the card too much? So, I dropped the settings - still artifacts. I tried Vsync options - Still tearing. I tried dropping down from 1080p - still unstable.

I started searching online for answers and ran into all sorts of other users with artifact complaints with this card in "half their games". The more I searched for answers, the more concerned I became. I tried the tricks of using older drivers (not that there is much). I thought about "waiting it out", but I really don't feel like waiting for my investment to work like it should. I guess that's what you get when you save $100? Not this guy.

I sent the card back to the seller and ordered a RTX 2070 Super instead (specifically the MSI RTX 2070 Super Ventus OC) as I was able to find it for $500 and change. I'll have to wait a month as the company was backlogged but I'd rather wait for a stable card and my GTX 1070 will do just fine while I'm waiting.

Why am I sharing this info? I'd like to save someone else the headache of having to go through the process that I did. I'm really disappointed because that Radeon card performed great in my benchmark tests and the graphics were really nice in those. I thought that I had a great card for a great price, but specs and benchmarks aren't what a gaming graphics card are for.

You should have just kept the GTX 1070. AMD has no G-Sync option, only free-sync which isn't as good. Also, the RX 5700 XT is a new card just released, and because AMD GPUs are slow with their drivers / game support, the issues you're getting are pretty much as expected. In another month or 2, maybe then they'll have worked out their issues.

Nvidia may be ridiculously overpriced, but at least you get better drivers / support. I myself have no intentions on buying any GPU right now because it just isn't worth it. My GTX 1060 is doing just fine for my needs.

I put the GTX 1070 back in my rig for now. I was planning on upgrading one of my childrens' computers with my 1070 and using that as my excuse to get the Radeon card, but the artifacts are random and ridiculous. Now, I'm using the failure of that card (5700) to get an even better GPU. That and my monitor basically demands to run 4K which is a bit strenuous on my current GPU. I have much more faith that the RTX 2070 Super will have better support and more stable drivers than the Radeon has currently. I was originally going to purchase the RTX 2070 Super, but was having trouble finding it in stock. This experience with the AMD card sealed it for me.

I forgot to ask... did you check the Windows monitor settings to see if it's set at 30 or 60hz mode as well as AMD's control panel to see if there's a fps or monitor setting to adjust? I'm sure you know this already but running a game at over 60fps on a monitor limited to 60 or less would cause tearing.

It is a 120Hz monitor and I throttled it down to 60Hz and 1080p in game just to see if it would help. Mind you, the Heaven benchmark testing had no issues whatsoever and it pushes the card significantly more and was set at max graphics/4K. It wasn't until I popped into 7 Days until the tearing started. The frame rates were fine, just graphic tearing up the kazoo. Good ideas though.

• 4 weeks later...

Are you getting artifacts or just tearing? Because they are completely different things. Nothing such as this? https://streamable.com/7khpm

Btw if you only get tearing you could experiment with your monitor frequency, force vsync on amd settings, turn monitor freesync on/off. And if you don't get the above problem I linked, please tell me what driver version you are using.

Hi Guys im new here, but a have played 7 Days to Die since alpha 15. I have the same problems as others players with AMD Graphic Cards, so i started researching some info on web. I played alpha 15 and 16 with no crashes os graphic problems (yes some fps problems, but it was super fun a playable), the real problem started at alpha 17 with crashes in 30 minutes of play, and major fps issues. In alpha 18 its most unplayable, crashes every 15 minutes, extreme low fps (everithing on low, no shadows, no water reflection, minimal resolution and etc) and "artifacts" (i dont know why they called this, but its strange lines on every block on terrain in every biome, buts POIs area dont show this problem). On console show this on yellow color "Detail rendering shaders not found for the active render pipeline, falling back to default shader"

1470386678_SSAlpha18.jpg.cf897187b527fcab6840eae26a40d7fe.jpg

478117849_SS2Alpha18.jpg.cfc1e58b1fce1868dd14225f585ad7e8.jpg

My PC:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.20 GHz

Memory: 8,00 GB

Graphic Card: AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series, 1024 MB, 860 MHz

I found this post on the AMD forum (Date 04/13/2017)

https://community.amd.com/thread/214662

"Unity3D crashes with AMD cards

We released our Unity3D game recently, and we are receiving quite a few problem reports from people using AMD cards, for example:

( [Working] Crash on Intro Cutscene - Download link! :: Yooka-Laylee General Discussions )

AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series*

AMD Radeon HD 6500 Series

AMD Radeon HD 6570*

AMD Radeon HD 6670

AMD Radeon HD 6700*

AMD Radeon HD 7500*

AMD Radeon HD 7500M

AMD Radeon HD 7570

AMD Radeon HD 7600M*

Unfortunately all our office PC are equipped with NVidia cards, so we have not seen these issues and no way to debug them. We'll probably order a few cards just to reproduce this, but the closed Unity environment makes it hard to debug low-level issues... We are using Unity 5.4.2p4 for the PC build.

It is quite possible that this is a Unity issue, but I was wondering if anyone on the AMD side has ever looked into this. The severity of the problems seems to depend on the quality settings, which may point to some shader problems. We are using mostly the built-in shaders and the deferred rendering pipeline, so I expect other games to have similar problems.

I did the usual searches, but have seen nothing in the past few years.

Has anyone ever diagnosed this, or found a workaround? I'll probably contact Unity as well, but want to exclude driver or hardware problems first..."

And someone reply this (Date 04/13/2017)

"All of the cards mentioned have been moved to legacy status and the last driver released for them was Catalyst 15.7.1 (from July 2015) or the beta Crimson 16.2.1 (from Feb 2016).

It is quite possible that your application requires a more recent driver, but since these cards are now legacy, there are no driver updates planned for them."

And other guy reply this (Date 05/12/2019)

"Well it is not only older cards! Unity still crashes with R7 or R9. I have written to AMD in 2015 when Catalyst 15.4 was released and AMD stated it is not their fault but a fault by Unity developers, and sugested I contact Unity developers. Unity developers stated it is AMD fault in their official email reply to me. AMD and Unity accuse each other. So who's to blame?

Unity3D and Unity based games still crash till today on my AMD R9. They work for some time in D3D11 mode and crash with black screen after couple minutes, I can hear the music/sound effects but there is just black screen. I can only kill it thru Task Manager. If I can switch the game to OpenGL (Subnautica, Hand of Fate2) they will work. Game like Portia has either no OpenGL graphic engine or problem with OpenGL, 'cause cmd parameter -force-opengl or -force-oglcore crashes the game with error window "InitializingEngineGraphics failed". Just had enough of this nonsense!"

I am realy sad about this, that means i have to buy another graphic card to be able to play the game i most love in my life with decent graphics to have a decent experience? My god, i live south of Brazil and graphic cards over here are extreme expensive...

And i realy love this game

Sorry for Bad English

Ty Guys =D

It's become a non-issue. It was actually graphic artifacts on A17.4. I tried both drivers that were available and also tried messing with GSync/FreeSync settings and Refresh. I just sent the card back and ordered an NVidia card instead. Problem solved.

Are you getting artifacts or just tearing? Because they are completely different things. Nothing such as this? https://streamable.com/7khpm

This is EXACTLY what I am seeing. Using the card mentioned in this thread. Drivers are 19.9.2. Any ideas?

Going to roll back to 19.1.1 to test and will report results shortly.

Update: 19.1.1 didn't work well at all and I couldn't get the AMD control panel to even install.

Btw if you only get tearing you could experiment with your monitor frequency, force vsync on amd settings, turn monitor freesync on/off. And if you don't get the above problem I linked, please tell me what driver version you are using.

This is the exact issue I'm seeing with my 5700 XT as well. Works fine in any other game including Borderlands 3.

• 2 months later...

Reviving this thread as I just got a new PC with the 5700xt and I have artifacting. :(

Even on the lowest settings.

Now I'm just trying to figure out if this is an AMD issue or my card is bad? Anyone has a 5700xt that does not have the issue?

I bought the card mainly because it was 200$ cheaper than 2070 super and had better performance in Red dead redemption 2.

Reviving this thread as I just got a new PC with the 5700xt and I have artifacting. :(

Even on the lowest settings.

Now I'm just trying to figure out if this is an AMD issue or my card is bad? Anyone has a 5700xt that does not have the issue?

I bought the card mainly because it was 200$ cheaper than 2070 super and had better performance in Red dead redemption 2.

Known issue that has been listed in the patch notes for a18 for a while now.

I saw something about performance issue at ultra graphic but this is not the same thing.

I get artifact at every setting. Tried switching off and on every option but none fixed the issue.

I'm on the verge of returning the card and getting an nvidia even if it is 300$ more expansive here in canada (for equivalent build quality)

A quick fix for RX 5700 and RX 5700 XT

Rollback your installation of 7dtd to Alpha 18.1 and download AMD's Adrenalin 19.11.1. It will not show any artifact when starting the game, even in Directx 11.

Yesterday, in an effort to get a great bang for the buck upgrade from my NVidia GTX 1070, I decided to purchase the Radeon RX 5700 XT. The cost and the specs almost as good as the RTX 2070 Super were my primary reasons for trying it out.

I got the drivers installed, ran some benchmarks and was thrilled with the results. It ran 4K on Heaven benchmark tests with almost a perfect 60FPS during the test.

I went to test out my favorite game (7 days to die)... and I could see the improvement right out of the gate...until I started getting screen tearing. I thought...mmm, maybe I'm pushing the card too much? So, I dropped the settings - still artifacts. I tried Vsync options - Still tearing. I tried dropping down from 1080p - still unstable.

I started searching online for answers and ran into all sorts of other users with artifact complaints with this card in "half their games". The more I searched for answers, the more concerned I became. I tried the tricks of using older drivers (not that there is much). I thought about "waiting it out", but I really don't feel like waiting for my investment to work like it should. I guess that's what you get when you save $100? Not this guy.

I sent the card back to the seller and ordered a RTX 2070 Super instead (specifically the MSI RTX 2070 Super Ventus OC) as I was able to find it for $500 and change. I'll have to wait a month as the company was backlogged but I'd rather wait for a stable card and my GTX 1070 will do just fine while I'm waiting.

Why am I sharing this info? I'd like to save someone else the headache of having to go through the process that I did. I'm really disappointed because that Radeon card performed great in my benchmark tests and the graphics were really nice in those. I thought that I had a great card for a great price, but specs and benchmarks aren't what a gaming graphics card are for.

Rollback your installation of 7dtd to Alpha 18.1 and download AMD's Adrenalin 19.11.1. It will not show any artifact when starting the game, even in Directx 11.

I really, really wanted to come here and shoot this down. Unfortunately, I can't. I tried just 18.1, just 19.11.1, and both - the only thing that fixes it is both.

Worth noting is that the artifacts I'm seeing happen ONLY on roads and underground in dirt. I haven't seen any in sky, grass, trees, buildings, etc.

So one wonders what changed with roads (asphalt and gravel roads btw) and dirt textures between 18.1 and 18.2?

• 2 weeks later...
I really, really wanted to come here and shoot this down. Unfortunately, I can't. I tried just 18.1, just 19.11.1, and both - the only thing that fixes it is both.

Worth noting is that the artifacts I'm seeing happen ONLY on roads and underground in dirt. I haven't seen any in sky, grass, trees, buildings, etc.

So one wonders what changed with roads (asphalt and gravel roads btw) and dirt textures between 18.1 and 18.2?

Hey someone else who is having the same *exact* artifacting problem. I ran into this when I was trying to figure out why asphalt keeps appearing as transparent. https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?140864-Asphalt-Block-behaves-like-a-chameleon&highlight=asphalt

And now that you mention this, the artifacting I was seeing when I upgraded to my 5700 XT is only on the textures that I can replace the terrAsphalt block with, for example, that do not exhibit the chameleon effect.

SylenThunder mentions some new system being developed/worked-on and perhaps this is all related in that manner....?

Do you play Rainbow Six: Siege by any chance?

I have an RX 5700 XT and when I used the latest drivers I would always crash whenever tabbing out of Siege.

I was also unable to play BF4 as the game would crash and freeze my entire PC. But since rolling back to driver version 19.12.1 I haven’t had any of these issues again thus far.

Do you play Rainbow Six: Siege by any chance?

I have an RX 5700 XT and when I used the latest drivers I would always crash whenever tabbing out of Siege.

I was also unable to play BF4 as the game would crash and freeze my entire PC. But since rolling back to driver version 19.12.1 I haven’t had any of these issues again thus far.

Wait, are you saying that you're running driver version 19.12.1 on 7 Days Alpha 18.3b4 without artifacting? Or are you only talking about the crashes and/or 18.1 and earlier?

Wait, are you saying that you're running driver version 19.12.1 on 7 Days Alpha 18.3b4 without artifacting? Or are you only talking about the crashes and/or 18.1 and earlier?

Sorry I think I may have confused you, when I mentioned rolling back my drivers and it fixing my issue, I was talking about BF4 (Battlefield 4) freezing my pc, which was fixed when I rolled back my drivers.

I am on driver version 19.12.1 on the latest version of 7 days to die and I AM getting artifacts.

I haven’t tried a different version of 7 days to die.

Sorry I think I may have confused you, when I mentioned rolling back my drivers and it fixing my issue, I was talking about BF4 (Battlefield 4) freezing my pc, which was fixed when I rolled back my drivers.

I am on driver version 19.12.1 on the latest version of 7 days to die and I AM getting artifacts.

I haven’t tried a different version of 7 days to die.

Alright, thanks for clarifying. Worth asking though. :)

Yep artifacting is still happening on 18.3 as well. I noticed it only seems to affect the voxel terrain textures for the following:

Stone

Concrete (the regular kind, not the "see through" kind you can produce in the cement mixer now).

Iron Ore

Lead Ore

Coal Ore

Oil Shale [not as noticeable since the artifacting seems to blend with the texture of this ore]

Dirt & Topsoil Dirt, but not the biome native topsoil dirt

There may be others, but I recall another thread reading about how they changed the texture mapping system and haven't finished porting all of them over yet or something, and perhaps these particular terrain textures are the legacy version?

Archived