How to Fix / Increase Your FPS Guide A18

Yourdrunkendad

The following is not exhaustive, but a list of tweaks I have found that have worked for me to increase my fps from the 35-50 range into the 60-80 range. Your mileage may vary, and of course nothing comes without cost, you will be sacrificing graphical quality, but who cares how good it looks if it's too laggy to play?

Some of these tweaks may do nothing, others may be substantial. I'd suggest trying them one a time to see what works for you. *Edit* These are aside from the obvious: turning down graphics or lowering screen resolution.

1.) For those with bad FPS especially outdoors, you can try this in the console to disable distant terrain:

gfx dt

2.) Disable post processing for fps gain.

gfx pp enable 0

3.) Change storm values.

In steam right click 7D2D -> Properties > Local files > Browse Local Files -> Data -> Config -> biomes.xml -> Open with text editor.

Find lines:

"<ParticleEffect prefab="ParticleEffects/p_sandstorm" ChunkMargin="7"/>"

"<ParticleEffect prefab="ParticleEffects/p_smokestorm" ChunkMargin="7"/>"

"<ParticleEffect prefab="ParticleEffects/p_snowstorm1" ChunkMargin="7"/>"

Update them to 80 or higher, instead of 7.

4.) Running game from launcher instead of 7D2D Shortcut.

(To get to Game Location, In steam right click 7D2D -> Properties > Local files > Browse Local Files. Run 7Dlauncher.exe)

1. Tick [X] Exclusive FullScreen Mode

2. Tick [X] Unity Screen Selector

3. (Optional) Aditional Paramters(unsure if this works, might be placebo effect): -force-d39d

4. When Unity Launcher opens, select the lowest resolution you're comfortable with, you can always raise it later. If your fps was very low, I would suggest trying the lowest graphical settings, you can always raise them individually later if you want.

Hopefully this helps some of you folks out there.

Cheers!

You can turn off anisotropic filtering in the console with gfx af 0, helped me a lot with my AMD CPU and GPU. I no longer have to turn off distant terrain.

You can also fix the weird shininess/everything is too bright bug by going into settings while in game and going to options. Next turn reflections to low, hit apply, then turn them off and hit apply again.

Disable reflections for a massive fps boost that's purely CPU bottlenecked. The planar reflections in this game are completely unoptimized. A proper Vulkan renderer would remedy that issue completely.

Disabling SS Reflections will also give a huge FPS boost. Again, completely unoptimized and almost certainly bugged as hell, but it's not a CPU bottleneck.

You can turn off anisotropic filtering in the console with gfx af 0, helped me a lot with my AMD CPU and GPU.

gfx af 0 is essentially for me the only thing which brings fps in playable region, without making it look completely broken which gfx dt does. Its actually doubling up the performance while making everything blurry ofc.

its also worth for testing to switch from dx11 to vulkan in launcher, gives me up to 30-50% more fps, much smoother and looks great. It does not last long though because it will crash soon sadly.

i guess 7dtd does not like my vega56 very much currently. (8700k, 32gb ram, ssd)

Greetings.

Can someone explain what gfx or gfx af means and what its default is? Someone suggested gfx af 1 and Joel recommended gfx af 0, but now on Ultra, certain images are still low res and blurry, such as paintings and doors.

Since A18Exp, I constantly see memory leaks and shader errors in the Console. I assume this is known and will not be a part of Stable?

gfx af (2gb vram example)

gfx af 0 (4gb vram example)

gfx af 1 (to turn it back on)

"Anisotropic filtering is a method of taking many samples of a texture to produce a higher quality image. AF is a setting on each texture."

The above tips I picked up from the A18 Dev Diary thread. From what I've read, if you have less than 2gb vram, use the first option.

Follow faatal for any updated news or changes regarding af.

Hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

0 disabled

1 enabled (uses texture's value)

2 is force enable, which is making AF maxed on every texture

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?111778-Alpha-18-Dev-Diary!!/page2491

gfx af (2gb vram example)

gfx af 0 (4gb vram example)

gfx af 1 (to turn it back on)

"Anisotropic filtering is a method of taking many samples of a texture to produce a higher quality image. AF is a setting on each texture."

The above tips I picked up from the A18 Dev Diary thread. From what I've read, if you have less than 2gb vram, use the first option.

Follow faatal for any updated news or changes regarding af.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for your reply.

• 4 months later...

Sorry about having no idea where should i post my opinions on this forum.

Also, guys, sorry for being mad, but while development goes forward game becames totally unplayable.

Started to play with A9, we bought about 5-7 copies of 7dtd, most of us has 2gb-4gb past century) mid-end videocards (very vary, from gtx760 to rx570-580), has up to 32gb memory (8gb +, most of us has 32gb ddr3 1833+) and CPUs with minimal of i7-3770. I know it's not a top PCs - they even not actual for 2020. But performance issues started since A13-A14 killing all the game experience we had before.

I know guys you're all doing great job with continuing developing game mechanics / bringing us new things.

But for years performance becames this game killer :(

Since A14-A14 released, our game spend hours reduced by almost 90%, since it's hard to play scary looking (on low settings. it's since u know this game really may look a looooot better) or hard lagged game.

subj.

Game may becames `less-more` playabble if i set up texture size to 'eight' or 'half', all other settings doesn't really affects performance, but it's looks that `texture quality` + `rendering distance` on open landscapes is most game performance affecting thing.

I tried a lot of settings combos, like settings all of `gfx` commands listed on forums. Yes, `gfx af enable 0` gives some FPS boost, but it's about 3-4 fps, that isn't matter when fps drops to 15-20.

But the game becames really ugly looking and scary :(

p.s. And, yes, i know that 2gb video RAM is not enought in 2020 to even draw draft textures on the walls, but those high gpu requirements it's just waste of money and resources :(

Especially when you are playing just 2-3 games , like 7DTD and some outdated MOBAs like HON.

• 4 weeks later...

It annoys me that we can't completely remove/turn off this smoke/wind in a winter and desert biome. People who have a more powerful computer deliberately there are their bases and they can not be killed because of the advantage in the power of the computer.

These changes do not change anything for me on the server.

"<ParticleEffect prefab="ParticleEffects/p_sandstorm" ChunkMargin="7"/>"

"<ParticleEffect prefab="ParticleEffects/p_smokestorm" ChunkMargin="7"/>"

"<ParticleEffect prefab="ParticleEffects/p_snowstorm1" ChunkMargin="7"/>"

Tell me someone please is there a way or method to remove smoke, fog, wind, I do not know what it is exactly called. Even if this method is not fair to other players.

• 2 weeks later...

You know, this "game is in Alpha" thing was funny and seemed to have no impact.

However, come on! It's been in Alpha for how many years?

I just tried to play A18 on i7700/16Gb/GTX1060/SSD and my frames are as low as 6 with many things turned off at 1920x1080. If I set the preset "Lowest" graphics setting I get up to 40 FPS.

WTF Fun Pimps?

You know, this "game is in Alpha" thing was funny and seemed to have no impact.

However, come on! It's been in Alpha for how many years?

I just tried to play A18 on i7700/16Gb/GTX1060/SSD and my frames are as low as 6 with many things turned off at 1920x1080. If I set the preset "Lowest" graphics setting I get up to 40 FPS.

WTF Fun Pimps?

Part of your issue is the i7-7700. My i7-3930 clocks better than it does, and has two more cores to boot. no offense, but the 7700 and 8400 CPU's are just extremely weak.

Here's what I have my settings at. I'm clocking between 100 and 110 FPS most of the time, though I will dip into the 80's for horde night. I've got an i7-3930k OC'ed to 4.2GHZ, and DDR3 RAM at 1600MHz with the game running from an SSD. FOV is at 85, and resolution is 1920x1080 with vCync off.

d1e00fcc68c9f65dff8461d5bcecb184.png

Also, yes the game is in ALPHA. It doesn't matter that you personally thing it's been too long, or that you for some reason think that time would be wasted on full optimization before the core features are even finished. The reality is that the game is incomplete, and has not had a lot of optimization run on it because of that. There is always some optimization, but not a lot. Definitely not enough for your weak CPU apparently. (Though my buddy with a 7700U and a 1070 has zero issues so...) Once the core features are finished, we'll be going into BETA, and that's when you focus on optimization and bug fixing. This is game development 101 here, not rocket science.

If you can't get off your soap box and realize reality, then that's your problem, not ours. This thread is to give you pointers, and for you to discuss what you've tried. Not to sit and piss in the wind.

• 2 weeks later...

@SylenThunder

Part of your issue is the i7-7700. My i7-3930 clocks better than it does, and has two more cores to boot. no offense, but the 7700 and 8400 CPU's are just extremely weak.

Not to sit and piss in the wind.

"Pissing in the wind"

XD I'm dying. His 7700 is faster than my 4770k by roughly 5% with stock clock speeds and even with a gtx 960 4GB which is again, more than 50% slower than his 1060 I still manage now "45fps." After using the "gfx af 0" option in the console... Which was never a suggestion when I was asking on a separate thread previously... Was 30 without, and I'm glad the comment I found here actually helped. His system should EASILY be able to do more than 45FPS if my specs are any comparison... But LOL on the idea that you need a hexacore/octacore and 1070+ gpu to run a 25$ early access title that's been around since 2013! It's just elitist, unfair, cruel, and frankly not helpful to those who cannot afford such expensive hardware and would like to play the game... Especially when the system they are using is WELL within the game's recommended specs... Sure the game is unoptimized, but when you would rather flex your own specs than actually help it just looks assanine. If there is truly such a large disparity in performance between that many systems, then something HAS to be the game's fault at some point... And rather than ASS-U-MEng "yes I spell assuming ASS-U-MEng because it's making an ass out of all of us" everyone is well-versed in software/game development, you could either offer some suggestions on how to improve performance or simply not reply lol. I think we're all eagerly awaiting BETA performance improvements, at least those of us running anything less than a 1060 or with slower processors. And if I may, could I please??? get an explanation as to why "gfx af 0" so drastically improves performance in my case? I have no idea what it does...

• 2 weeks later...

Technically,

It's a very bad comparison. At least, when u comparing CPUs. At least it's hard to imagine a situation when CPU is a bottleneck.

If you comparing CPU's that has about equal computing power (let's ignore CPU frequency at all, at this point i mean similar CPU architecture), then (and let's focus on CPU frequency now) performance boost on your PC should be about 20% (that's does not explains 300% FPS difference at all).

So, there we should got a point that 3770(k?) is well enough to run 7DTD. Or maybe two or three copies of game at same time. Single instance will not use even 50% of CPU.

Game has a lot of troubles with GPU optimizations. Especially with texture filtering and overall texture performance (or, may be instancing).

What about our displeasure,

As i told before, we are waiting this game for years. Many of us bought game for friends, friends of friends, e.t.c.

And as i told before, game performance was comfortable-to-play at point we bought a game.

Don't you find it's strange to see game performance is constantly degrading?

I absolutely agree your mention that game is Alpha.

But each time code becames more complex and doesn't get any optimization - it's a bad sign.

If an product in alpha stage stays alpha for years and keeps poor performance for years - it's a very bad sign.

I think you know i am talking about. Performance is game's bottleneck for years. And there is no magic solution - there is one advice - set GFX settings to 2005' settings or buy a brand new high-end PC and... ask same questions again)

We are not trying to flood the forum with rage comments like "blahblahblah, make game faster! You are mining!", e.t.c.

We love (!) that game concept and want to see it's evolution for years.

I think we are tired of new features that we can't even test.

Tired of being unable to feel the direction this game is currently going.

I hope you understand us this time.

So please, at your side, regard our "crying" like upvoting for optimizations changes.

p.s. About "...". You are moderator and you give a rude answer. Please, think about it.

Just saying, if you're going to argue about computer parts, at least be knowledgable and/or do research. Tbh game's been running at slightly higher settings at more FPS since A16; think logically, would you consider optimizing code after implementing a change, then change the change or add another change, there's more optimization needed. Then the optimization breaks something else, which that fix breaks a new feature.

Alpha = game creation. Beta = polishing/optimization.

Archived