Do I need a Hardware upgrade?

Arma Rex

So not too long ago I had upgraded my PC to what seems to be the right setup to play on recommended. However, my FPS can drop to about 30 at times (I am playing at full resolution, reducing it helps, however with my setup it should run at full res.). Sometimes, even, in the pine forest biome at night while I am in my cabin, I get really bad frame rate as well. Anyway, I am wondering if there are any parts that need to be upgraded, so here's my specs:

GPU: GTX 1070 (8 GBs VRAM)

CPU: Intel Core i3-8100 (3.60 GHz)

RAM: 16 GBs

Resolution: 1680x1050 (60 Hz)

Harddrive shouldn't be an issue.

If you want to play at Ultra, maybe you need an upgrade.

That said, I have worse hardware and get over 100 fps at 1080p.

No complaints at all. Medium setting except Textures which is on high, and

Bloom, Dof, Reflections, and Motion Blur off.

Reflections on will kill 35-40 fps for me.

i5 3550 3.3 Ghz

GTX 1060

20 Gb

Maybe you have some other hardware or software issue?

If you want to play at Ultra, maybe you need an upgrade.

That said, I have worse hardware and get over 100 fps at 1080p.

No complaints at all. Medium setting except Textures which is on high, and

Bloom, Dof, Reflections, and Motion Blur off.

Reflections on will kill 35-40 fps for me.

i5 3550 3.3 Ghz

GTX 1060

20 Gb

Maybe you have some other hardware or software issue?

Possibly. I wish there was a list of hardware recommendations for playing on ultra.

So not too long ago I had upgraded my PC to what seems to be the right setup to play on recommended. However, my FPS can drop to about 30 at times (I am playing at full resolution, reducing it helps, however with my setup it should run at full res.). Sometimes, even, in the pine forest biome at night while I am in my cabin, I get really bad frame rate as well. Anyway, I am wondering if there are any parts that need to be upgraded, so here's my specs:

GPU: GTX 1070 (8 GBs VRAM)

CPU: Intel Core i3-8100 (3.60 GHz)

RAM: 16 GBs

Resolution: 1680x1050 (60 Hz)

Harddrive shouldn't be an issue.

Play the game in windowed mode.

Disable/Lower Screen Space Reflections.

Disable/Lower Godrays.

Play the game in windowed mode.

Disable/Lower Screen Space Reflections.

Disable/Lower Godrays.

WHat would playing in windowed mode do? I have tested this in A18.0 A18.1 and A18.2 and it has zero affect on FPS. Nor have I ever read that does anything and it just makes no sense in my head how that could possible do anything at all.

brb jumping in game now to test again this time in A18.3

However, my FPS can drop to about 30 at times (I am playing at full resolution, reducing it helps, however with my setup it should run at full res.).

It's not only the resolution, but much more what detail settings you use. Most people do reduce detail setting before reducing the resolution.

I also have a 1070 and run on 1080p with high-settings i get mostly stable 60fps. With ultra it drops below 60 often.

And of course during blood moons it goes lower, but on a normal day it keeps 60fps.

Don't know how much your cpu will affect the framerate but i don't think the cpu is the problem here.

@Pichii

Full screen. avg fps 55-60

windowed acg fps. 40-50

Results came out as expected.

In this test it actually lowered my fps. so I take back what i said, expected. I expected no change at all or maybe 3-5 fps lower but 10-20 lower...thats actually shocking.

Feel free and test it out and post your results because I am curious why you claim this. thanks man. :)

That was my original thought, just wanted confirmation. You think an i7-8700 would help?

Anything with 6 cores / 12 threads (for the added up to 15% performance boost) or better would be ideal, so ya, the i7-8700 would work. Ryzen 5 2600x or 3600 is another likely cheaper option. Any SSD would greatly help with load times and reduce stuttering as well.

Any other game, your setup would be fairly balanced, unfortunately, this game is more demanding on CPU than GPU.

There are other in-game graphics settings you could lower / disable without impacting much visual eye candy (if any at all) but gain a lot in fps / stability. I don't know which ones off hand as I haven't played the game in a while due to RL stuff, but I'm sure others could fill in the details on that.

Good to know, I'll have to add that to my shopping list them lol. You think that'll improve issues with multiple trees being rendered?

I can't know for sure obviously without actually testing both, but I do know quad core is becoming not enough with this game (especially if there's stuff running in the background, including Windows 10 nonsense). If you had the benefit of 15% hyperthreading headroom, then it might of been closer to being enough... but if you're going to upgrade, then it only makes sense to get 2 more physical cores.

And the i7-8700 makes far more sense than my Ryzen suggestion... forgot Intel socket LGA 1151 has been the same for like 5 years now.

@Pichii

Full screen. avg fps 55-60

windowed acg fps. 40-50

Results came out as expected.

In this test it actually lowered my fps. so I take back what i said, expected. I expected no change at all or maybe 3-5 fps lower but 10-20 lower...thats actually shocking.

Feel free and test it out and post your results because I am curious why you claim this. thanks man. :)

I legit helped my friend with this same issue on a 1070 yesterday. (He also runs a 4 core amd build)

Another person on the forums with a new 5000 series card.

If this information did not help you; my apologies.

It had helped people who were not you in the past.

Thanks for the flag for false info? lol.

If you genuinely turned those settings off and got WORSE FPS; my guess is that you actually have a configuration error on your GFX card again, I would assume your GFX card by default is overriding the game settings and this can piss 7d2d off and get weird frame rates.

The FPS that you claim are atypical of a 4core AMD build and thus, problem exists in your configs.

Best of luck with your trouble.

I legit helped my friend with this same issue on a 1070 yesterday. (He also runs a 4 core amd build)

Another person on the forums with a new 5000 series card.

If this information did not help you; my apologies.

It had helped people who were not you in the past.

Thanks for the flag for false info? lol.

If you genuinely turned those settings off and got WORSE FPS; my guess is that you actually have a configuration error on your GFX card again, I would assume your GFX card by default is overriding the game settings and this can piss 7d2d off and get weird frame rates.

The FPS that you claim are atypical of a 4core AMD build and thus, problem exists in your configs.

Best of luck with your trouble.

lol I'm not having any issues friend. I always know how to handle graphics setting etc. Could you post a video showing the results of your game in full screen vs windowed as proof it actually works. Thanks man.

I have a GTX 1080 and oddly have the same Vram as your GTX 1070 and I recently built a new PC with a i7 9700k and 32GB DDR4 3000 and I run on all high settings at a solid 60FPS in 1080, yeah that's useless information I know but what I want to add is that when I have a small app such as winamp or even Netflix in a browser I seem to drop to a solid 33FPS, this seems a bit odd but it is confirmed when I exit the game and close the app and resume the game at 60FPS again, so you GPU is probably not an issue for the most part.

So I would suggest a CPU upgrade seeing how my old CPU was a huge bottleneck for my GTX 1080 and with the CPU upgrade it made my GTX 1080 shine the way it should have.

I would agree that a i7 8700K or the i7 9700K would be a great upgrade, the 1155 (300 series) boards are not too expensive, but I would go with the Z390 chipset if you could, I got a Gigabyte Aorus Pro for about $180.00 and RAM is cheap enough as well these days. You could go with a M.2. Nvme SSD like the Samsung Evo 970 for about $100.00

So a RTX 2070 is about $400.00 but the CPU, Motherboard, Memory combo would be about $700.00 not including CPU cooling and for another $100.00 you could get a Nvme SSD. Then later on you could upgrade to a RTX 30** when they come out. I guarantee the 8700K and the 9700K will get you a solid 60FPS on all high settings.

I would also take Fox's advice on anything PC upgrading related as well as he seems to follow AMD and I do not really bother with AND since my Dual Core Athlon 64 X2 4600+ and bought my Core 2 Quad back in the day.

I hope this helps. Sorry for the GTX instead of RTX typo.

Archived