GPU Heat

Pie172

I was curious if anyone else had this problem. First, setup:

I7-8700k

32 gb ram

500gb ssd (one of many but this is where game is stored)

1080ti ftw

34آ” ultrawide monitor (possibly the issue)

Aspect ratio: 3440x1440

Using the setup above, I normally run games at High/Ultra and hit around 60-63 degrees Celsius on my card. In 7 Days to die, I have to keep this game on the very lowest settings just to keep it around 63 degrees. Medium - 67-68, high+ is pushing over 70 degrees and I cut it off.

Is there something I am missing? Is it the ultrawide aspect of 3440x1440? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Yeah, a lot of it is the ultrawide. It's not recommended to run the game higher than 1080p.

This is a Voxel game, not the other games you play. Literally 99% of the other games in your library are not as taxing on hardware as a fully 3D Voxel game is. Probably 95% of them aren't even 3D.

Should also note, pushing over 70 degrees isn't a problem. You would worry when you're hitting 90 degrees.

I'd love to know what case you have your hardware in. Most cases these days are a joke when it comes to proper venting. Also, do you have a custom fan curve on your GPU or is it just default settings? Setting up for a more aggressive fan curve can often make all the difference in the world. And like SylenThunder mentioned, 70C is not a big deal, if anything, it's about average, 90C or above, then it's something to be a little concerned about. (mind you, I tend to keep mine at about 60C... but with the setup I have, it's easy)

deleted :/

He said he has a 1080Ti FTW, so it's an open flow card.

Both types can handle up to 96 Celsius though, the only difference will be in case cooling. Blower cards are very poor at cooling and will often run at higher temps. They aren't designed to handle higher temps, they run at high temps because of moor heat distribution.

More details on that here.

Truly the only reasons to go with a blower card are because A. You aren't going to be pushing it much with high-end graphics processing, or B. because you plan on overclocking the crap out of it and want to remove the blower and attach liquid cooling.

Assigning a custom fan profile may be helpful in getting the fan speed raised higher sooner, but if you have poor case cooling, that isn't going to make a lot of difference. The 1080Ti FTW already comes stock with a pretty decent fan profile as it is.

Have a full tower case (cooler master), in which I added 2 more fans. Also, I have a GPU cooler (at work and don’t have the name of it). I also run a custom fan profile to ramp up more quickly / efficiently.

While I know that 60-70 is not very high, it is still much higher than more current games on higher graphic settings. I am going to try lowering the resolution a bit tonight.

I've found running a frame rate cap lowers the temps on my GPU.

If I cap at 70 FPS it drops about 10 degrees C vs not capped. I use RivaTuner for

the frame cap, but the newest nvidia drivers include a frame cap in the settings.

Also, as everyone else has said, 70C is no big deal.

If I cap at 70 FPS it drops about 10 degrees C vs not capped. I use RivaTuner for

the frame cap, but the newest nvidia drivers include a frame cap in the settings.

Also, as everyone else has said, 70C is no big deal.

Just an fyi, RivaTuner has conflicted with this game several times in the past and occasionally prevented the game from loading or crashing it mid-game. I stopped using it years ago because of it and instead used PrecisionXOC for fps limit (and fan curve and additional overclock) and Steam for FPS counter. So if you ever get problems with the game, that'd be the first thing I point a finger at.

Just an fyi, RivaTuner has conflicted with this game several times in the past and occasionally prevented the game from loading or crashing it mid-game. I stopped using it years ago because of it and instead used PrecisionXOC for fps limit (and fan curve and additional overclock) and Steam for FPS counter. So if you ever get problems with the game, that'd be the first thing I point a finger at.

Ditto here.

Also just to note, MSI Afterburner has the same issue. It's most common with the latest major Unity builds until they've been worked on for a while.

Of course it does! It limits the amount of frames the gpu has to render.

If you do not use a framelimiter your CPU will always (as long as there are no other bottlenecks) run at 100% and produce as many fps as it can. And more rendering requires more power and produces more heat.

That's also a thing i never will understand why people run games without fps limit, especially when they run a game at 200fps on a 60hz monitor.

So it seems after changing the resolution from ultrawide aspect 3440x1440 to 2560x1440, GPU temp is down to 60ish on ultra.

I am guessing my high GPU Heat had to do with the ultrawide aspect. And I understand 70 degrees is not that high, but when Iآ’m running this game on LOW my GPU should not be that high, especially since I can run newer games on high/ultra and Iآ’m around 60 degrees.

So it seems after changing the resolution from ultrawide aspect 3440x1440 to 2560x1440, GPU temp is down to 60ish on ultra.

I am guessing my high GPU Heat had to do with the ultrawide aspect. And I understand 70 degrees is not that high, but when I’m running this game on LOW my GPU should not be that high, especially since I can run newer games on high/ultra and I’m around 60 degrees.

Of course it does! It limits the amount of frames the gpu has to render.

If you do not use a framelimiter your CPU will always (as long as there are no other bottlenecks) run at 100% and produce as many fps as it can. And more rendering requires more power and produces more heat.

That's also a thing i never will understand why people run games without fps limit, especially when they run a game at 200fps on a 60hz monitor.

Yeah I'm always scratching my head when I see my friends tell me, oh man I'm getting 150+ fps. I'm like...why whats the point it does nothing for you since u have a monitor running at 60hz. I tell um all the time, you are making your gpu over work man. cap it

Yeah I'm always scratching my head when I see my friends tell me, oh man I'm getting 150+ fps. I'm like...why whats the point it does nothing for you since u have a monitor running at 60hz. I tell um all the time, you are making your gpu over work man. cap it

I myself have a 144Hz monitor and yet I still cap my FPS to 72 cuz because I'm not a competitive gamer and I barely notice the difference anyways.

I am guessing my high GPU Heat had to do with the ultrawide aspect. And I understand 70 degrees is not that high, but when I’m running this game on LOW my GPU should not be that high, especially since I can run newer games on high/ultra and I’m around 60 degrees.

You have to remember that this is a fully 3D Voxel game. Your other games aren't. Most of them aren't even 3D, much less with voxels. Voxel games will push your hardware a lot more than any other, and will tax your entire system, not just your GPU like other games do.

Archived