Which actions disable achievements?

Friedmann

Hi.

I have read that entering debug mode or loading mods will disable Steam achievements.

I have several questions regarding the use of mods:

1. Do modlets count as mods? I use a modlet which adds the hunger and thirst meters to the UI. Does that disable achievements?
  2. If modlets do disable them, will I get them back if I remove the modlets?
  3. Can I look somewhere and see whether achievements have been disabled or not? (Is there a console command?)

1. Yes. Any mod loaded can disable achievements. You need to play full Vanilla.

2. You will have the ability to earn the achievements if you disable the mod. Not sure what you mean about "get them back", but your progress would be reset to 0 most likely for any you were working on before you installed the mod.

3. Nope. Just don't use Creative mode, and don't use CM or DM in the console in any of your playthroughs.

The achievements are solely for the Vanilla game with zero cheats or admin exploits. There may be a few exceptions to this, but generally if you're going to shoot for an achievement, you want to start a game with everything default, no mods, and no cheating.

1. Yes. Any mod loaded can disable achievements. You need to play full Vanilla.

2. You will have the ability to earn the achievements if you disable the mod. Not sure what you mean about "get them back", but your progress would be reset to 0 most likely for any you were working on before you installed the mod.

3. Nope. Just don't use Creative mode, and don't use CM or DM in the console in any of your playthroughs.

The achievements are solely for the Vanilla game with zero cheats or admin exploits. There may be a few exceptions to this, but generally if you're going to shoot for an achievement, you want to start a game with everything default, no mods, and no cheating.

Thank you for the reply, it answered all of my questions. Editing the base XML's also counts as cheating/exploits, right?

Thank you for the reply, it answered all of my questions. Editing the base XML's also counts as cheating/exploits, right?

Doing so will place your game into the "modded" category, which can disable the ability to gain achievements. Just changing some of the default settings outside of certain bounds will do this as well.

Thanks again.

While I was playing today I actually unlocked the achievement "The Funeral Director" (kill 2500 zombies) on Steam, and I have a modlet which adds the hunger and water meters to the UI, so maybe it only disables achievements in certain circumstances.

Archived