Massive performance-drop at dawn in multiplayer

Wyrm

Hi!

We're three people who have been playing together for a week or so (I tricked the other two to start playing :D)

However, we've noticed that every day when dawn breaks, all of us get massive performance-drops. I go from around 40FPS to 20-25 FPS, and my two friends drop as low as 10. This remains through dawn but tends to normalize sometime around 7 or 8 am

Is there something special the game does at dawn or is it just the visual effects? I don't remember ever having this issue when playing solo.

It's a local mutliplayer and one of my friends is hosting the game.

https://pastebin.com/nFMRqtt3

This is from our last session. We basically ended just after dawn. I had tried lowering shadows and lighting details, but dropped as low as 15 FPS.

Noteworthy is that if I look down into the floor, it gets worse. If I look straight up the framerate goes back up to normal. Does not seem to matter much if being indoors or outdoors.

Oh, one more thing. It seems to be much worse when near our base. It doesn't seem to be as bad when we're out looting.

Pasting in from Speccy in case that is useful :)

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core i5 @ 3.10GHz 43 °C

Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

RAM

16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1337MHz (16-18-18-39)

Motherboard

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING (LGA1151) 31 °C

Graphics

C24F390 (1920x1080@60Hz)

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc) 34 °C

Storage

223GB KINGSTON SA1000M8240G (SATA-2 (SSD))

931GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ (SATA ) 43 °C

1863GB Seagate ST2000DM006-2DM164 (SATA ) 43 °C

Optical Drives

No optical disk drives detected

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

Your PC specs are more towards the low end for performance. What are the specs of the host?

I would think similar, but I don't know for sure. I would have to ask her.

But still, a drop in performance of more than 50% despite being indoor just because the sun suddenly rises seems odd no matter the specs.

I would think similar, but I don't know for sure. I would have to ask her.

But still, a drop in performance of more than 50% despite being indoor just because the sun suddenly rises seems odd no matter the specs.

Mostly it has to do with the changes in lighting. Which depending on their specs and settings, could cause a pretty big impact overall. Especially when hosting a client because that will consume a lot more resources than just playing SP. (Recommended specs are double minimum for MP.)

This is the settings I play with. Except I used to have SS reflections at medium before these problems. I dropped them to low two days ago but saw no improvement in performance.

Also I always shut off AF.

I might try disabling bloom if we play again tonight.

7dsettings.jpg.e8f21027bccdb93347cb68d448d225f4.jpg

I've had no absolutely no issues with dawnbreak until we started playing multiplayer. I've soloed for many dozens of hours in Alpha 18.2 & .3

I think it is mostly related to our increasingly complex base and that dawn-lighting is more demanding than any other lighting.

The thing that bugs me is that it doesn't matter if all of us are cooped up in a small box or if we're outside seeing the entire world. Shouldn't rendering be ignored for things that cannot be seen?

Archived