Problems playing the game after upgrading PC

Davidk

Let me first thank everyone in advance. I am a big 7dtd fan and I really appreciate any and all help

I have been playing Alpha 18.4(b3) version of the game. I had a older computer with the following components:

I3-4130

GeForce GTX 550ti

4 GB Ram

I could play with the video settings on low, some time the screen would freeze or there would be pauses and the occasional crash. I was getting frustrated with this and decided to upgrade my system a bit to have better quality of play.

I upgraded my graphic card and RAM to:

GeForce GTX 1050

12 GB Ram.

After doing such it became impossible to play the game. Simple in game actions like accessing weapons and equipment as well as movement would take 30 seconds to a minute to complete as compared to being nearly instantaneous before.

I have tried the following:

Uninstalling and reinstalling the game

Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for my graphics card

Changing to the lowest quality settings

Playing in Windows vs Full screen

Turned of Threaded Optimization

Disabled anisotropic filtering

Disabled vsync

None of these made any real difference to make the game more playable. How does playability get worse after improving my computer?

Thanks again and I hope everyone has a great day. Good luck killing zombies!

What Windows are you using?

I have the GTX 1050 and had the same issue when first playing A18. I tried everything with my graphics card and settings, upgraded RAM from 8GB to 16GB but still had issues and lots and lots of lag, like couldn't even move my character forward or turn around.

What fixed it for me was upgrading from Windows from 7 to 10. Apparently it was an issue with Windows 7 updates failing and no longer being supported by Microsoft. I installed Windows 10 and everything was fixed instantly.

Hopefully, it's the same case for you as it's a pretty easy fix.

I imagine you might be expecting too much improvements to the game even though you still only have a mid-range dual core CPU bottlenecking everything. But as Beelzybub mentioned, make sure the game is actually using the new GPU and not the integrated Intel graphics.

Also, have you done a free memtest86 to make sure there's no problems with the ram? It being 12GB of ram, I imagine you kept the old ram in there and just added 8GB more to it? Maybe try removing the old ram to see if there's an improvement. (If the timings and frequency don't match the old ram, then you could receive latency issues)

What fixed it for me was upgrading from Windows from 7 to 10. Apparently it was an issue with Windows 7 updates failing and no longer being supported by Microsoft. I installed Windows 10 and everything was fixed instantly.

That sounds more like coincidence to me as I still use Windows 7 and have never received issues with it. Downgrading to Windows 10 just gave you a fresh start with fresh drivers and all.

do some stability and stress testing on your pc, very unlikely that it has something to do with a game.

prime95, memtest86+, unigine valley loop for a more game-like stresstest or furmark for max gpu heat.

edit: also check how healthy your hdd/ssd is, probably its just failing soon.

After doing such it became impossible to play the game. Simple in game actions like accessing weapons and equipment as well as movement would take 30 seconds to a minute to complete as compared to being nearly instantaneous before.

I mean... what does that mean? Do you have 1 fps? Press F8 ingame and tell us what FPS you get.

Anyways, so you uninstalled and reinstalled the GPU drivers and they did not make any difference? Did you completely remove the GPU from Device Manager on your computer, download the new drivers again (they might be corrupted) and re-install the driver from scratch?

If nothing works, you need to run more tests to track down the problem. Do you experience slow performance in other games? What about watching videos on Youtube? If so, maybe it is not 7 Days To Die that is the problem, maybe you just have a faulty GPU card?

Test more games, try doing GPU benchmarking tools like erlgrey said. If everything is slow, you have a faulty card.

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Fps ranged from .17 to .54

No problem with Youtube or games, for example Civ 5

Monitor is plugged into the graphics card

Uninstalled the graphic card with the 7x sfx program and reinstalled downloading the drivers directly from NVIDIA

Uninstalled the graphic card with the 7x sfx program and reinstalled downloading the drivers directly from NVIDIA

Wait, "7x sfx program"? Don't use that. Go into Start and search for Device Manager, find your GPU card, right click and choose Uninstall. Then restart your PC and reinstall the drivers from scratch. The steps might be different between Win7 and Win10 so google it if you don't know how to find the Device Manager.

If that does not work, since the only game you seem to be having FPS issues with is 7 Days To Die, try this: Backup your world save. Go into your Steam library, right click on 7 Days To Die, choose Properties, go to the Local Files tab, choose "Verify integrity of game files".

If nothing works, you can try posting the game log here. Also tell us what Windows version you are using.

Wait, "7x sfx program"? Don't use that. Go into Start and search for Device Manager, find your GPU card, right click and choose Uninstall. Then restart your PC and reinstall the drivers from scratch. The steps might be different between Win7 and Win10 so google it if you don't know how to find the Device Manager.

If that does not work, since the only game you seem to be having FPS issues with is 7 Days To Die, try this: Backup your world save. Go into your Steam library, right click on 7 Days To Die, choose Properties, go to the Local Files tab, choose "Verify integrity of game files".

If nothing works, you can try posting the game log here. Also tell us what Windows version you are using.

The problem with Windows 10 is that the moment you uninstall a driver, Windows 10 takes over and installs their junk drivers again. So just to clarify, if the OP wants to uninstall the drivers, do make sure to keep that in mind... allow it's junk driver to be installed, then overwrite it with Nvidia's drivers.

And the easiest way to explain how to get into device manager is to ask them to use the search function and type "devmgmt.msc".

From what you've said, Youtube hardly requires anything to run well, and Civ5 is far more CPU intense than GPU. So far, you haven't mentioned a game that would benefit from the new GPU upgrade.

Archived