Is there a framerate limiter in the game?

bobross

I'm trying to decide if I need to submit this as a bug report or not, but I'm getting some odd behavior with my setup. Running a Radeon RX 5700XT on the latest drivers, and I'm seeing frequency and GPU utilization dropoffs in some situations. Specifically, if I'm indoors it drops off. Sometimes outdoors but when there are a fair amount of buildings around as well. It sometimes seems like it's at any framerate over 100 FPS (I'm running a 144Hz FreeSync monitor so there is a reason to go over 100). Not EXACTLY 100, but when I'm sitting around 103-104 FPS it'll drop off. I've also seen dropoffs below this, where it just falls to 1500MHz or lower instead of riding around 2000MHz or more, but the framerate is in the 75-85FPS range.

I'm leaning towards this being a bug at least in part because it's a pain in the ass to duplicate. Standing in the same position next to the same building is not always generating the drops. I'm going to try a couple of things to recreate more reliably, especially using coordinates and making sure none of the buildings are cleared in case its sleepers doing it, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't intended behavior first, and I didn't want to post it in Bug Reports right off the bat to ask.

I did manage to screen-cap some output from MSI Afterburner showing the dropoffs - they're circled in red.

1175298110_A18.4-GPUUsage.png.7bf6676c8d00e827a37f4cb2faaead66.png

are u using radeon chill?

Good thought, but nope. I also don't recall it happening before 18.4, but given the artifacting that was just fixed with the latest driver, I can't be sure that I really actually had enough play time to see it.

The only frame limiter is V-Sync.

When you're noticing the GPU dropping off, are you also seeing a spike in CPU or RAM? The image is near incomprehensible because vBulliten ♥♥♥♥s them up all the time by shrinking them. Try linking externally like Gyazo.

VRAM or system RAM? Either way, doesn't look like it, and while I get a couple spikes up to 80% on a core or two, doesn't look like any more than that and overall utilization is low. Ryzen 5 3600 by the way.

Technically, if it were V-Sync doing it I'd be going all the way to 144 I suppose, but alright. I'll see if I can nail down reproducible steps and post a bug on it. I'd link externally, but to be honest Afterburner's graphs are a bit of a pain to see anyhow.

Mate. Go to AMD driver. Search for 7DTD and with Chill option select desirable frame rate. 7DTD is GPU intensive game, it`s a pity that CPU stays dormant but most games on Unity perform like this. I have 144hz monitor but i simply set max 75 frames to save power, save components and create less heat in my room :D. Vega56 and R5 3600 user here :D.

Mate. Go to AMD driver. Search for 7DTD and with Chill option select desirable frame rate. 7DTD is GPU intensive game, it`s a pity that CPU stays dormant but most games on Unity perform like this. I have 144hz monitor but i simply set max 75 frames to save power, save components and create less heat in my room :D. Vega56 and R5 3600 user here :D.

I think you misunderstand. My card is throttling down for no valid reason and I don't want it to. I'm seeing it at 70-80 FPS - well below maximum - and suddenly the fans ramp down and when I check Afterburner it's showing 1500-1600MHz with spikes up to 1900, and this is when I'm outside. If I'm underground staring at a wall I'm getting 120 FPS and my GPU stays pegged at 2000+ MHz.

I think it`s just a poor optimization for Unity Engine on AMDs team side. I get black screens in 14+ year old games, its AMD. Or some screwed up Windows update.

I`ve got a similar performance -10-15% May I ask about in-game GPU utilization? I doubt Fun Pimps could do anything about better optimization. You may report the issue on the AMDs website, describe it thoroughly. I had throttling in one old game on DX9 and the issue has been fixed with the next driver release.

I think it`s just a poor optimization for Unity Engine on AMDs team side. I get black screens in 14+ year old games, its AMD. Or some screwed up Windows update.

I`ve got a similar performance -10-15% May I ask about in-game GPU utilization? I doubt Fun Pimps could do anything about better optimization. You may report the issue on the AMDs website, describe it thoroughly. I had throttling in one old game on DX9 and the issue has been fixed with the next driver release.

GPU Utilization falls off at the same time - if you look at the pic that I posted in the original post, of the two circled graphs, top one is GPU utilization, bottom is GPU core frequency. So the GPU is falling off in frequency when the utilization drops, it's just that the utilization shouldn't be dropping off.

I've found some indications of others with a similar issue, but nearly all of them are running Win10 virtualized with GPU passthrough, and most of them don't ever see 100% utilization.

Archived