Game crashes without any error message, randomly

eldirian

Game version: 18.4 b4 (latest)

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: RTX 2080

RAM: 16 GB

I've had problems since I installed the game after a year or so. First the EAC is acting up. Giving me error like in the picture I attached. After that message, game exits. Sometimes game just quits without saying anything. Just terminated.

What I tried:

Reinstalling the game

Reinstalling EAC

Fiddling with game options

Verrified game files multiple times

I don't have any mods, all clean installed, default.

Any tips?

Thanks

error.jpg.3b16d964dda435d98f4971e470585018.jpg

Yes, I did that many times. I uninstalled the game. Still too many issues and bugs. Not playable. Never had issues with any other game that I remember of.

I thought after more than 1 year it would be better, but it's not.

You can delete this thread.

Wanted to connect to the server again. Now it started to download the world again (wtf??? i didnt change anything) and half way through there was EAC violation error (just like the one in my first post). Wtf is wrong with the game?

Edit: Now it won't let me connect anymore. EAC violation all the time.

The game log shows that your local cache of the world differed from the server, probably a consequence of the crash. So files were re-downloaded, but there still seems to be a discrepancy with Data\Bundles\Entities\vehicles that EAC complains about. Which I don't quite understand because that should be a fixed game file that doesn't get changed while running the game.

The log of your first game shows a crash report with stacktrace, the crash happens inside Unity while allocating space for an object it seems. Looks to me like random memory corruption and the real bug might be somewhere else, but I'm mostly guessing here. A tester or developer might know more.

Do you get crashes when playing a local game too?

The game log shows that your local cache of the world differed from the server, probably a consequence of the crash. So files were re-downloaded, but there still seems to be a discrepancy with Data\Bundles\Entities\vehicles that EAC complains about. Which I don't quite understand because that should be a fixed game file that doesn't get changed while running the game.

The log of your first game shows a crash report with stacktrace, the crash happens inside Unity while allocating space for an object it seems. Looks to me like random memory corruption and the real bug might be somewhere else, but I'm mostly guessing here. A tester or developer might know more.

Do you get crashes when playing a local game too?

Hello, thanks for your reply. Does it imply I could have faulty memory modules? I have a new PC build since January, could be they are faulty from manufacturer?

I didn't try to play a local game.

I think I'll run some passes of ramtest, maybe it will show something...

Hello, thanks for your reply. Does it imply I could have faulty memory modules? I have a new PC build since January, could be they are faulty from manufacturer?

I didn't try to play a local game.

I think I'll run some passes of ramtest, maybe it will show something...

Ramtest is a good idea, let it run overnight at least. But if you had the exactly same problems with your old PC too (and not used parts from it in your new PC), hardware fault is unlikely. If you didn't just reuse your old disk and windows installation on the new PC, even the operating system and registry settings are unlikely as the culprit. Additional software you have on your PC could be responsible though, as you probably have installed much the same set of programs you were used to from the previous PC. I'm thinking virus scanners or software for video capture, any helpers dealing with GPU features. Do you have anything that fits that description?

Naturally it is difficult to be certain if your old problems are the same as the new problems, coincidences happen.

What also might help is playing until it crashes again and then comparing the crash data in the output log with the crash data you posted yesterdays. To see whether the game always crashes in the same place or in random places (the latter would point to memory corruption, either through software or hardware)

In the log there was also a line about "<RI> Initialized touch support.". This might be a normal line, not sure, but: Do you have VR hardware/software installed or some special input devices, or drivers for such special devices installed?

Ramtest is a good idea, let it run overnight at least. But if you had the exactly same problems with your old PC too (and not used parts from it in your new PC), hardware fault is unlikely. If you didn't just reuse your old disk and windows installation on the new PC, even the operating system and registry settings are unlikely as the culprit. Additional software you have on your PC could be responsible though, as you probably have installed much the same set of programs you were used to from the previous PC. I'm thinking virus scanners or software for video capture, any helpers dealing with GPU features. Do you have anything that fits that description?

Naturally it is difficult to be certain if your old problems are the same as the new problems, coincidences happen.

What also might help is playing until it crashes again and then comparing the crash data in the output log with the crash data you posted yesterdays. To see whether the game always crashes in the same place or in random places (the latter would point to memory corruption, either through software or hardware)

In the log there was also a line about "<RI> Initialized touch support.". This might be a normal line, not sure, but: Do you have VR hardware/software installed or some special input devices, or drivers for such special devices installed?

The PC is completely new. With fresh Windows install etc. Only the SSD remained, although wiped using manufacturer's utility, (the one where 7dtd is installed on). On previous PC I had many problems with "null reference exception object reference not set to an instance of an object" which made it almost unplayable. This was solved completely with the new PC. But these new errors appeared so I'm a bit frustrated atm.

I don't have much installed at this moment. I use ESET Internet Security as AV. No video captures or VR. No helpers with GPU, only Nvidia drivers (not even their Experience sw).

From what I saw about the EAC integrity violation, it was always different files (vehicles, something about hairs etc)

I dont have any special input devices. Only external DAC with USB drivers.

I'm gonna let the memtest go tonight.

You will need to exclude the game and EAC from ESET completely. I cover this in detail in the Sticky FAQ. It will interfere with the client, and will create extra latency in your connection.

Thanks for your reply. Why should I exclude ANY software from AV? What is this?! I never ever had to exclude any game or software out of AV to make it work properly and latency was just fine. What does it tell me about the software design?

I read the FAQ you are refering to. Sorry, I don't trust steam or anyone else so I won't exclude them from my AV. More interestingly, I have never had to this with any other game from steam...

I'm sorry if I tend to sound offensive, that's not my point. I appreciate your assistance.

@meganoth

So I've run the memtest (free version let me do only 4 passes). It found more than 1000 errors. Some appeared only one minute into the test. I include the result log in the attachment. Does this mean the memory modules (ram sticks) are faulty? Can't it be CPU side error, the part that "handles" memory? Can't it be the motherboard? Should I remove one memory stick and rerun the test today?

memtestreport.txt

@meganoth

So I've run the memtest (free version let me do only 4 passes). It found more than 1000 errors. Some appeared only one minute into the test. I include the result log in the attachment. Does this mean the memory modules (ram sticks) are faulty? Can't it be CPU side error, the part that "handles" memory? Can't it be the motherboard? Should I remove one memory stick and rerun the test today?

In a way you are very lucky, you seem to have found a reliable way to reproduce the error and the error points very much to being really the RAM. Notice that the errors all have similar addresses (all end in 458 or 558) and it is always the 8th bit (counting from lowest bit) that is flipped

It is still imaginable that it could be the CPU, but that the errors are localized on specific addresses AND a specific bit overwhelmingly points to the RAM. If it were CPU or even motherboard, it should either be a problem with the address or address lines OR a problem with a specific bit. I'm assuming here that the other 1000 errors have a similar characteristic since the specific test method has an influence too.

So yes, in all likelyhood you just have to remove one of the sticks and rerun the tests to see which one is the faulty one.

Thanks again for such a long reply.

I think the only way to know is to replace the sticks with new ones and watch the difference. Tonight I will test each memory stick. Do you think it's necessary to keep the test running after it discovers tens of errors after only few minutes? From what I know, there shouldn't be a single error. It would save me quite some time.

The problem is the crash/system instability is not reproduceable. Usually I can run my PC without errors for weeks. 7dtd is kinda the only software that showed it - I wouldn't even now about faulty RAMs without it. Well, there had been like 3 memory related BSODs since January.

So, to sum it up...do you think faulty memory sticks are the reason behind both EAC integrity violation crashes AND the issues when the game just terminates without any info?

Thanks again for such a long reply.

I think the only way to know is to replace the sticks with new ones and watch the difference. Tonight I will test each memory stick. Do you think it's necessary to keep the test running after it discovers tens of errors after only few minutes? From what I know, there shouldn't be a single error. It would save me quite some time.

The problem is the crash/system instability is not reproduceable. Usually I can run my PC without errors for weeks. 7dtd is kinda the only software that showed it - I wouldn't even now about faulty RAMs without it. Well, there had been like 3 memory related BSODs since January.

So, to sum it up...do you think faulty memory sticks are the reason behind both EAC integrity violation crashes AND the issues when the game just terminates without any info?

Ten errors in a RAM test are definitely enough, even two in a few minutes is more than could be explained by cosmic rays. I assume you have two memory sticks? Both should also run alone, but somewhat slower. So you could find out the bad one even now, and run any software that works with slower and halfed RAM until you get the replacement.

I would think it will fix the crashes, and RAM-problems would be a good explanation for any other strange occurrences. It is like seeing your house was broken into and thinking about whether there were two burglars in the same night. Possible, but often very unlikely :cocksure:.

But if you got the same EAC error every time you restarted the game you may need to verify (or even reinstall) the game and delete your save games as they might have accumulated errors from bit-flips. If it was only once you tried to restart, the EAC error might be just the result of a bit flip while starting the game.

Ten errors in a RAM test are definitely enough, even two in a few minutes is more than could be explained by cosmic rays. I assume you have two memory sticks? Both should also run alone, but somewhat slower. So you could find out the bad one even now, and run any software that works with slower and halfed RAM until you get the replacement.

I would think it will fix the crashes, and RAM-problems would be a good explanation for any other strange occurrences. It is like seeing your house was broken into and thinking about whether there were two burglars in the same night. Possible, but often very unlikely :cocksure:.

But if you got the same EAC error every time you restarted the game you may need to verify (or even reinstall) the game and delete your save games as they might have accumulated errors from bit-flips. If it was only once you tried to restart, the EAC error might be just the result of a bit flip while starting the game.

Yes, I have 2 sticks. I will test them out tonight.

EAC error was the same but the name of end file was changing I think (different assets like vehicles, terrain etc). I always deleted all registry and game data and reinstalled like 5 times already since then (partly cos I get frustrated, uninstall, then I miss the gameplay -lol- and install again). I connect only to one game server, could it be that my character stored there is corrupted? When I create a new profile (new char), only visuals/appearance change but char stats/perks remain the same (stored on the server I guess, unique characters forced setting?).

Anyway, no point in speculating. I'll see what the game does when I'm sure my RAM is 100% working.

Yes, I have 2 sticks. I will test them out tonight.

EAC error was the same but the name of end file was changing I think (different assets like vehicles, terrain etc). I always deleted all registry and game data and reinstalled like 5 times already since then (partly cos I get frustrated, uninstall, then I miss the gameplay -lol- and install again). I connect only to one game server, could it be that my character stored there is corrupted? When I create a new profile (new char), only visuals/appearance change but char stats/perks remain the same (stored on the server I guess, unique characters forced setting?).

Anyway, no point in speculating. I'll see what the game does when I'm sure my RAM is 100% working.

Oh right, your character data on the server could be corrupted too (though this is just a guess). The character is usually linked to your steamid, the server owner can delete it.

Thanks for your reply. Why should I exclude ANY software from AV? What is this?! I never ever had to exclude any game or software out of AV to make it work properly and latency was just fine. What does it tell me about the software design?

I read the FAQ you are refering to. Sorry, I don't trust steam or anyone else so I won't exclude them from my AV. More interestingly, I have never had to this with any other game from steam...

I'm sorry if I tend to sound offensive, that's not my point. I appreciate your assistance.

It's been an industry standard for longer than most gamers have been alive. The issue is with how games access memory. Especially games that are still in development. I believe I explained that pretty well in the FAQ. And honestly, if you don't trust the company, why is the software installed on your system?

It's been an industry standard for longer than most gamers have been alive. The issue is with how games access memory. Especially games that are still in development. I believe I explained that pretty well in the FAQ. And honestly, if you don't trust the company, why is the software installed on your system?

Yes, I know what you mean. I'm not blaming anyone. That's a good question - there's hardly any other way with most games today than through steam. Guess I'm just oldschool type of gamer. I loved my physical copies in a box back in 1998. But then again, everything has its cons and pros. It is what it is.

Still I stand on my point that any software shouldn't be required to be left out of AV detection to work properly.

Alright, so I tested both RAM sticks and found out only was is faulty. First one showed 20+ errors after only 3 minutes and they were increasing gradually so I just stopped the test. Then I switched them and let the other one ran overnight since no erros appeared right away. And the test passed without errors (4 passes). I attach the results.

So I'll keep just 8 GB RAM for the time being, don't want faulty hw in my pc.

Now, the problem is how to RMA it. Since they came in a dual-box. I don't think I can return only one stick, can I? I think I can buy a new one, exact same model. But that's wasted money. The other solution is to buy a completely new pair, RMA this one and then sell it when they replace it.

I will try to play 7dtd today with this one ram stick.

EDIT:

Now that I think of it...I tested the sticks in different slots on the motherboard. The failed one was in slot #2, the passed one was in slot #4. I hope it's not the memory slots. Maybe I'll run one more test with the failing one in the #4 slot just to be sure.

ram1fail.txt

ram2pass.txt

EDIT:

Now that I think of it...I tested the sticks in different slots on the motherboard. The failed one was in slot #2, the passed one was in slot #4. I hope it's not the memory slots. Maybe I'll run one more test with the failing one in the #4 slot just to be sure.

Good idea, I'd test the "bad" one in all the slots. I recently worked on a machine with ram issues and one stick would only work in slot #3.

Any other slot and the machine wouldn't boot. Weird.

Archived