Configuration issue? or just bad Glitch

RyuKyu567

Unsure on how to describe this one or know if this is even the place to post this, I have exhausted any options I can think of and can't seem to find anything that matches this problem online. Best thing to do is let the pictures describe themselves. Ive created a server using vanilla settings and using Allocs Fixes and Bad Company mods and and after a few hours other clients and myself noticed off the wall borders surrounding us. In a way they are un-rendered portions of the map that will eventually disappear when you move around however it is within a certain radius from the player. At first I figured that this would be an issue with the mods so I removed those. When the problem wasn't solved I created a new server as a test, and again the phantom border shows up again. I may have thought this was a max view distance issue but the configuration is set to its maximum. Then I checked the max uncovered map chunks and messed around with that and still no change, this also goes with anything related to rendering. I am kind of at a loss, the issue seems to be consistent on any client side computer which tells me that it is server related and may have to do with some configuration file that i am unaware of. Any search criteria just references the radiation zone or FOV settings, so to be honest I don't even know what to search for at this point.

Any ideas in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Shot.jpg.eed1853522eea7db97539b8079359f49.jpg

So this looks like the low level-of-detail 'distant' terrain was generated under different parameters than the regular terrain. That would explain why when the distant terrain draws far away from the camera, you see mountains that aren't actually there when you get close.

I don't know the cause of the issue. But if your players haven't dug into this map yet, I suggest you generate a new one (preferably without mods when testing this), and see if the new map also has this issue. The map in your screenshot may be permanently corrupted.

Thanks for the quick reply, I would agree that there may be a different set of parameters that could cause this. To what end I haven't got a clue. I can tell you that this occurs on everyone's machine regardless of spec, even those that are in the same party and location in game. What I have done so far is do a full installation of the server files on a clean drive on a completely different machine and configured a server with no mods and still can produce the same result. The interesting part of this is that while the server was creating the world I jumped on an open server running the same version and have no issue. So.... yeah... kinda scratching my head on this one.

I'm not surprised that all clients see this regardless of settings, since I'm convinced the problem lies in the map file. Did you use the same map seed as before in your most recent test? There's an outside chance you've found an error in the random world generator itself. If it always fails like this on a certain seed but not others, that's actually a good thing, because it could mean you've identified a reproducible bug for QA to examine.

So its confirmed that its not related to the seed. Its got to be something in the server game files which may just be a bug with the release of A18.4. will dive into it a little more this afternoon, and just as an FYI, this occurs at a set distance from what I can tell. When a persons character moves around the the map will load and it is playable. Its not like you just fall off the world. So my assumption is it has to be related to how the chunks are loading.

again.jpg.e594cb5d5affc59edbd06b1d343643e0.jpg

So its confirmed that its not related to the seed. Its got to be something in the server game files which may just be a bug with the release of A18.4. will dive into it a little more this afternoon, and just as an FYI, this occurs at a set distance from what I can tell. When a persons character moves around the the map will load and it is playable. Its not like you just fall off the world. So my assumption is it has to be related to how the chunks are loading.

If you made a new seed on the same server, and have logged into the previous server's seed, you will run into this issue as well. Must wipe all locally cached data before joining the same server with a new seed because your local cache has the old seed information stored, and will display the existing old information before it is updated by visiting the new areas of the map.

If you made a new seed on the same server, and have logged into the previous server's seed, you will run into this issue as well. Must wipe all locally cached data before joining the same server with a new seed because your local cache has the old seed information stored, and will display the existing old information before it is updated by visiting the new areas of the map.

Just to cover all bases I went a little above and beyond clearing the local cache on both the original server and client machine as you suggested. I threw together a quick server on a third machine and logged into the server on a separate account/machine with a new install of 7 days. Unfortunately the result is the same. Just for the heck of it, Im going to run a new instance with a previous version to see if there are any changes. Theoretically there should be.

I think it's high time for you to post some logs, from the server when it is creating the world, and possibly from a client logging in.

Also it would be nice to know if the 3 servers you tried are all virtual machines on the same hardware or different hardware

Are you using the same name for your seeds?

For testing at the beginning yes. Then I moved on to creating different seeds which didn't make any difference.

I can certainly post some logs, Ill do that this afternoon when I get back, maybe you guys can see something that I may have missed. From what I can tell they don't seem to show any issues. The 3 servers are all running identical hardware and are not virtual. Dual Xeon X5675, 48Gb ram, and a GTX980.

Now here is an interesting litt tid bit... Just for the heck of it I decided to start at the beginning and work my way up. I started at A18.1 and moved all the way up to A18.4 using the standard size 4k map as a control. Everything seemed to be fine. No phantom boarder and smooth as silk. So, I slowly increased the map size to see when it would fail. So far I have come to the conclusion that a 9k map will show what you see in the earlier post. An 8k map shows no signs of distant rendering issues. Ill be testing this a little bit more this afternoon but it seems that Im making progress.

For testing at the beginning yes. Then I moved on to creating different seeds which didn't make any difference.

I can certainly post some logs, Ill do that this afternoon when I get back, maybe you guys can see something that I may have missed. From what I can tell they don't seem to show any issues. The 3 servers are all running identical hardware and are not virtual. Dual Xeon X5675, 48Gb ram, and a GTX980.

Now here is an interesting litt tid bit... Just for the heck of it I decided to start at the beginning and work my way up. I started at A18.1 and moved all the way up to A18.4 using the standard size 4k map as a control. Everything seemed to be fine. No phantom boarder and smooth as silk. So, I slowly increased the map size to see when it would fail. So far I have come to the conclusion that a 9k map will show what you see in the earlier post. An 8k map shows no signs of distant rendering issues. Ill be testing this a little bit more this afternoon but it seems that Im making progress.

I use 12k maps without any issue. What value are you using for your map size?

The map size I've been using since I can't remember when has been 9216. Currently I am using 8192 without issue, everything is in perfect working order. I was going to create another instance larger than the 9216 just to see what happens. If it works then ill really be confused lol.

So after doing multiple worlds, I have concluded that at the 9216 size is just flawed. I have made a 10k all the way to a 16k with no issuse. After successfully creating the larger worlds I went back to the 9216 and the problem showed back up again. With that said ill say that this issue is solved.

Archived