Game makes my 2070 Super run really hot.

Camelslayer

So, I have a NVIDIA 2070 Super that gets very hot when playing. My computer has completely shut down due to the GPU overheating multiple times while playing 7D2D. Depending on the locale, oftentimes near water, GPU temps can easily rise above 80 degrees Celsius; above 80 Celsius is around the threshold where the GPU will cause a complete shutdown due to overheating.

Some obvious things to make note of:

1. Dust has been cleared from my PC.
  2. This is an isolated problem to 7D2D. No other game runs anywhere near as hot.
  3. I have increased fan speeds using EVGA Precision X1, which does alleviate the problem, though it sometimes requires cranking the fan speed up very high.

Before A18, I had a Radeon 480, which never had the heating issues with this game that the 2070 Super does. So I'm uncertain if the problem is linked to the change in GPU or something else.

Does anyone know if there are certain settings in 7D2D that cause the GPU to run very hot, or alternatively if there's any fix for it aside from running my fans at max speed?

Never blame a game for poor cooling... that's on you, not the game / devs.

80C is pretty common in poorly vented cases. If your PC is shutting down from overheating, it could be the CPU overheating or errors in ram.

If a PC is shutting down it is more likely a power issue anyways.

CPUs and gpus are throttling down if they get too hot, if it is a temp issue you would likely see horrendous performance before it turns off.

Bad ram cause usually app and os crashes, not instant shutdowns.

If a PC is shutting down it is more likely a power issue anyways.

CPUs and gpus are throttling down if they get too hot, if it is a temp issue you would likely see horrendous performance before it turns off.

Bad ram cause usually app and os crashes, not instant shutdowns.

You're mostly right. I forgot about the built in throttling features (mainly cuz I've never seen it happen in person). I also agree that it could relate to a power issue, and ironically, as things get hotter, they become less power efficient and therefore consume a bit more. But... while ram does often cause BSOD and apps to crash and whatnot, it doesn't always happen... sometimes it does just shutdown without warning or reason. This, I've seen countless times.

My computer has completely shut down due to the GPU overheating multiple times while playing 7D2D

When an NVidia GPU hits 82 it will slow itself down ("throttling"). 80 degrees is no problem for it to continue running. (neither is 82) In either case,

it will continue to run, just at a lower speed.

If your computer shut down while playing 7D2D it is more likely your power supply, not an "overheating" GPU.

above 80 Celsius is around the threshold where the GPU will cause a complete shutdown due to overheating.

This assertion is not true. If your computer shuts down when your 2070 hits 80 there is another cause.

All that said: You could enable the frame rate limiter in the Nvidia Control Panel to reduce temps. Try 70 FPS and see how it goes.

Also lowering graphics settings will reduce temps.

When an NVidia GPU hits 82 it will slow itself down ("throttling"). 80 degrees is no problem for it to continue running. (neither is 82) In either case,

it will continue to run, just at a lower speed.

If your computer shut down while playing 7D2D it is more likely your power supply, not an "overheating" GPU.

I was starting to question whether the power supply had anything to do with it. I was considering upgrading it anyway since it isn't a modular power supply, and that would make life easier for any cable changes.

This assertion is not true. If your computer shuts down when your 2070 hits 80 there is another cause.

All that said: You could enable the frame rate limiter in the Nvidia Control Panel to reduce temps. Try 70 FPS and see how it goes.

Also lowering graphics settings will reduce temps.

I saw it climb to about 83 when it had a problem. Seen others around the internet saying 70-80 is a normal range.

I turned off some settings like sun shafts and it had a noticeable impact. I'm also not sure if it was turning the fans up higher when needed before I adjusted the settings.

I turned off some settings like sun shafts and it had a noticeable impact.

Ya, my 1060 will run at 82 degrees and 99% usage on ultra settings. (and give a horrible frame rate) If I turn off the effects and reduce most settings to medium it will

run about 55-60 degrees and 50% usage.

I have a regular 2070 and the peak temps seem to oscillate around 75 degrees Celsius. This is on the highest settings.

I like warmth so my ambient room temp is usually 26-27 degrees and I've been playing for ~7-8 hours a day for the past ~3 weeks due to this damn quarantine and around 5 before that.

Doesn't seem like there are any overheating problems so it's probably just your deficient cooling.

I have a regular 2070 and the peak temps seem to oscillate around 75 degrees Celsius. This is on the highest settings.

I like warmth so my ambient room temp is usually 26-27 degrees and I've been playing for ~7-8 hours a day for the past ~3 weeks due to this damn quarantine and around 5 before that.

Doesn't seem like there are any overheating problems so it's probably just your deficient cooling.

Remote work? No, never heard of it)))

Archived