Mismatching distant terrain

Seraphin

Hi folks

On my dedicated server I've got the situation, that there is some place near my base where distant terrain shows a city in the desert, while if you get near you recognize that's not true, because there is some different terrain.

After I copied a backup of the dedicated server Seed-files onto my gaming rig for local testing, I recognized that distant terrain now shows the correct terrain where it shows a different terrain on the server as mentioned above.

Now I wonder how this could happen, as its a complete backup of the /RandomGen/<Seed> directory and so the data should be identical.

Any ideas which files I could try to delete to solve this wrong distant terrain? (HubCellData?)

• 1 month later...

Hi folks, it's still me looking for a solution.

Here's a screenshot of my world on my linux based dedicated server:

20161213111916_1.jpg

Here's a screenshot of my world after I copied the dedicated servers backup onto my windows based gaming rig and playing local there:

20161213111428_1.jpg

The distant terrain is shown wrong on my dedicated server, and I can't get rid of it. I already tried to copy the files from the gaming rig, especially the hub cell data files, back onto the dedicated server but it didn't help.

Any ideas where there could be old data files on the server I have to delete/replace?

The seed is the same, just checked it again comparing both seeds ingame and directory wise it was just copied ( .../Random Gen/Ipivewagi264/... ). Also no modding done.

First of I though of a bug once, but as it's not reproduced after copying the files onto the gaming rig I'm not sure about that anymore.

I think there could be old data files which causes this error, as the dedicated server was running an A14.x map before moving to A15 some time ago. But I used a new seed then too. And there haven't been any hub cell data while A14 too.

Maybe a bug happening only in the dedicated server? I don't know.

Also the mismatching terrain on the dedicated server happened from the beginning, it's been there always. We settled our base on this place believing there's a town nearby just to recognize that's not true after we took a closer look.

Sometimes I copy the backup of the server onto my gaming rig for testing new things, then I always delete the old files there. But the terrain is correct on the gaming rig anytime, never ever had this mismatching terrain on the gaming rig. So it must be a dedicated server based problem at least.

Maybe I should try reinstalling the dedicated server, but friends are afraid we could loose progress even using the backups, so trying other ways first as it's no game breaking problem.

If you copy map files around then anything goes.

The game has been started at the dedicated server, the mismatching was there from the very beginning.

So the copying can't be the problem ;-) The opposite seems to be the case, as the copying showed the mismatching does not occur on the gaming rig.

So the problem must be on the server (where the game has been freshly started back then) whatever the problem is caused by.

Just to say ;-)

Hey there, Seraphin !

The problem you describe could be caused by you previously joining a dedicated server using a very similar seed to the one you are using, with the only difference in lowercase and uppercase letters.

E.g. A15p1b1 instead of A15P1B1

This would not be possible on your own game as the game will tell you a game with this name already exists, as for the dedicated servers, they can run these files no problem and will then show a completely messed up distant terrain for previously connected players.

Connecting to different players or server using the same name with different cases on letters however, will not be known as different, you will find the first version of the nameseed in the "saveslocal" folder.

Deleting the hubcelldata for the savegame on your machine should solve the issue, if the mapseed problem is the case.

C:\Users\Hated\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\SavesLocal\Random Gen\ABC\HubCellData

As this will download the hubcelldata for the actual gameseed your server is running then.

http://imgur.com/a/01T0T

Pic of my distant terrain being messed up after joinen a server with the seed ABC and then going to the same coords on another server running the seed abc.

In other instances there is a bug where linux servers may generate POIs differently from windows servers and rigs which results in distant terrain being wrong for streets and gravel paths, the map however was the same.

Hello Hated

Thank you for your idea. But I don't play on other online servers, only in my dedicated one. And anytime I start a fresh game I use a different seed. Your idea is quite interesting though, as Windows and Linux handle lower- und uppercase different strictly. Didn't think about that as possible reason.

On the other hand, this mismatching only seems to appear in this chunk, I think it should appear throughout the whole world if that would be the reason.

Anyway, I just shut of the dedicated 7dtd server, deleted any hub cell data on the server and restarted the whole machine. I deleted the local savegame as also the local hub cell data in the saveslocal directory too.

But it's still the same effect after that, the mismatching still occurs between the servers and the local game.

Even though I'm sure I didn't mod my server I did the same as above and aditionally copied the 7DTD .xml - config files from my gaming rigs 7DTD installation onto my servers 7DTD installation. You can guess: The mismatching is still present.

In other instances there is a bug where linux servers may generate POIs differently from windows servers and rigs which results in distant terrain being wrong for streets and gravel paths, the map however was the same.

This message got my interest too: As the wrong distance terrain is a town, that's some sort of a POI too.

My map matches the real terrain as you see it when you are at this places. Only the distant terrain is mismatching. So this could be something of the same sort?

I'll have to check this out with other towns.

As I have to search for new towns which may have the same problem on my server I thought I take a look into the ingame preview of the game client. There I had an surprise:

preview.png

Even if it's the game client, which doesn't show this town in the distance locally ingame but the landscape as it should be regarding the map, there's this town still shown in the preview. But therefore the town which should be NE of this imaginary town is missing in the preview.

map.png

Guess, it's really a problem with POI placement.

Hopefully TFP will fix it, if it's a bug which is already known.

Guess, it's really a problem with POI placement.

Hopefully TFP will fix it, if it's a bug which is already known.

I do remember in the last video they talked about getting the socket system for pois 100% polished in RWG. May want to watch it and see if it refers to what you are talking about.

• 3 weeks later...
If you copy map files around then anything goes.

If you can reproduce this in a new game where no map data got moved anywhere, it might be a bug.

Um no. You have to be able to move data files around between servers or the data format is flawed (thus buggy).

There is no guarantee when copying files raw. Was the server shutdown when copying, was something being written at the time of the copy etc etc etc.
Yeah, the server pretty much has to be shut down when you copy the files. Otherwise map and player files that were in use during the copy can become horribly corrupted. (not just in the backup, but the live files can as well. been there, done that.)

If you do an exact copy with the server shut down though, re-build the server, and then copy the files back in... You could potentially just put your issue right back in and not change anything.

My personal recommendation would be to backup player profiles, ect. Then re-build the server, copy the player data in, and start the map fresh.

• 2 years later...

I have this exact same problem on a server that was made under the latest build brand new, we have about six players and they are all experiencing this problem. On mine there is essentially a bubble around the area that is spawned in around me, and everything at a distance is incorrect, usually blank hills with terrain shooting up to build height.

Archived