Tips for Improved Performance on a17 Experimental

bigc90210

TIPS FOR IMPROVED FPS IN 7D2D A17:

1. When launching the game, press "Show Game Launcher"

2. When game launcher Window appears, Tick the box for "Show unity screen selector", Also tick "Exlusive Fullscreen Mode"

3. Press "Run and Save as Default"

4 When Unity Window Pops Up, ensure "Windowed is UN-Ticked", Select your chosen monitors resolution (or whatever resolution you want to play at)

5. In the Main menu options, ensure V-Sync is OFF (ive found I lose around 20fps with it on, and up to 30 with it on "Half").

OTHER Tips

- Set your screens resolution to whatever you want to play 7D2D at, BEFORE you launch the game

- If you change ANY settings in game, restart the game

- DONT use V-Sync, it seems to be poorly optimised at the moment

- Use F8 key in game to see your FPS

- In the Game Launcher, instead of Direct X 11, Try GL Core instead, in case you get better results

- I've found I get best results Full screen, but feel free to test windowed. If it runs like ♥♥♥♥ full screen, ensure "exclusive fullscreen" is ticked in the launcher.

----- IMPORTANT ------

I've found if you do NOT use the "Unity screen selector", despite everything in the options indicating that the game is running at 1080p on my 4k screen, it actually runs at 4k (so performance is hammered).

The above tips for me got my FPS up from around 32 steady to high 50's, so made a huge difference!

=== My System Specs ===

i7 6820K (8 Cores)

16GB DDR4

500GB PCIE SSD

GTX 1070

4K G-Sync Screen (Though I'm Playing in 1080p as mentioned above)

All welcome. I've found you can change the screen res without restarting the game, but anything else settings wise always restart I've found. I've also noticed I can set my res to 1080, and occasionally the next time I load the game it comes up as 4k again and I have to set it back. Already reported it to the devs

• 2 weeks later...
Change your resolution.

I instantly got 5x as many fps by changing the resolution to the lowest.

I'm even able to change the textures from 1/8 to 1/2 and still get about the same fps

So what step exactly made you bump the fps ? I can't believe high 50s fps with a godamn gtx1070...

So... what resolution would be the recommended for a PC with the following specs?

- i5 4690k @ 4 GHz

- RX 470 4GB

- 16 GB DDR3 @1866

I've bought the game a few days ago.

A16 was "fine" at fullHD, medium/high settings (I've used the "high" preset but diabled SSAO, AA, Motion blur, DoF and god rays), mostly 60-ish FPS with small hiccups

A17 is basically unplayable (below 20 FPS with occasional lag spikes) anywhere near buildings or zombs even after I've lowered the settings to 1600*900 with settings between medium and low.

I feel like I "have" to use V-Sync, since AMD's framerate limiter feature does not seem to work and my GPU is trying to melt while dishing out 90+ frames when there are no zombies nearby. Anyways, I still get 30-40 FPS when inside buildings even when it's off, so it does not seem to improve things for me.

This is starting to feel a bit ridiculous, as the game's starting to look like something from 10 years ago, and I still can't fight during horde events because it's awfully hard to hit anything with a jumpy 20-ish framerate.

Edit:

If I'm not a host but delegate this fine role to my friend who has a newer i7 CPU with a 1070 then my framerate problems are gone. My guess as an ex-graphics engine developer that the new A* pathfinding of the zombies is what increases the load so much that my old 4-core-4-threads CPU cannot handle it anymore. Makes sense, as there are lots of possibilities there to be calculated, so the load should be indeed very high.

(which is why most games with large mobs use extremely dumb AI-s)

Conclusion for other players with old'n'♥♥♥♥ty machines: don't be the host, find one!

Is there any way to fix (as in hold constant) or elimintate the input lag? I'm playing on a potato computer, playing at lowest settings and still getting random amounts of input lag averaging half a second. I can deal with that amount of lag in a slow-paced zombie game like this, but what I don't like is how sporadic it is.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
So... what resolution would be the recommended for a PC with the following specs?

- i5 4690k @ 4 GHz

- RX 470 4GB

- 16 GB DDR3 @1866

I've bought the game a few days ago.

A16 was "fine" at fullHD, medium/high settings (I've used the "high" preset but diabled SSAO, AA, Motion blur, DoF and god rays), mostly 60-ish FPS with small hiccups

A17 is basically unplayable (below 20 FPS with occasional lag spikes) anywhere near buildings or zombs even after I've lowered the settings to 1600*900 with settings between medium and low.

I feel like I "have" to use V-Sync, since AMD's framerate limiter feature does not seem to work and my GPU is trying to melt while dishing out 90+ frames when there are no zombies nearby. Anyways, I still get 30-40 FPS when inside buildings even when it's off, so it does not seem to improve things for me.

This is starting to feel a bit ridiculous, as the game's starting to look like something from 10 years ago, and I still can't fight during horde events because it's awfully hard to hit anything with a jumpy 20-ish framerate.

Edit:

If I'm not a host but delegate this fine role to my friend who has a newer i7 CPU with a 1070 then my framerate problems are gone. My guess as an ex-graphics engine developer that the new A* pathfinding of the zombies is what increases the load so much that my old 4-core-4-threads CPU cannot handle it anymore. Makes sense, as there are lots of possibilities there to be calculated, so the load should be indeed very high.

(which is why most games with large mobs use extremely dumb AI-s)

Conclusion for other players with old'n'♥♥♥♥ty machines: don't be the host, find one!

Thanks for taking your time out and helping the community.

Thanks and Regards

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have an

i7 3.5GHz processor

32GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 1080

and I'm getting around 35-45fps while standing still in the middle of an open field. During horde nights, I change my settings to the lowest possible settings across the board, and I range between 3fps to 25 fps. If pathfinding is the reason why the framerate drops that drastically for an $800 video card, then there's wildly extreme problems with the way the pathfinding is written. It would have to be on the level of trying to run the entirety of Crysis with each zombie.

I have an

i7 3.5GHz processor

32GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 1080

and I'm getting around 35-45fps while standing still in the middle of an open field. During horde nights, I change my settings to the lowest possible settings across the board, and I range between 3fps to 25 fps. If pathfinding is the reason why the framerate drops that drastically for an $800 video card, then there's wildly extreme problems with the way the pathfinding is written. It would have to be on the level of trying to run the entirety of Crysis with each zombie.

That's exactly why my i73930k is overclocked from 3.2/3.8GHz to 4.2/4.8GHz. OC'ing that and my RAM made a huge difference in FPS. The game doesn't care about your GPU. This is covered in the Sticky FAQ.

• 2 weeks later...

The FAQ you wrote is great. The only nitpick I have is that it doesn't actually mention that the game doesn't care about your GPU. Just a mention that it requires a minimum amount of RAM on your graphics card. Still, it's good to know that the game is this poorly optimized so I know to not expect much in the way of graphical quality.

Archived