Multi-Core support?

SpencerXZX

As the title says, are we ever going to get multi-core support for dedicated servers?

Currently I'm running the dedicated server on an i7-7700k @ 4.5GHZ because I need the extra clock speed to make up for the lack of multi-core support. Sitting right beside my desk is a 40-core Dell PowerEdge but since it has a clock speed of 2.2GHz, a single core is not sufficient for the game.

As this game grows I think we will see a much larger demand for this, and if it doesn't happen, I worry that people will lose interest.

My AMD 8320 based dedicated server has been running silky smooth for me (and I didn't even pay a dime for it :p). Although, I haven't tried a large number of players yet, only 3 so far. But not a single hitch, and CPU sits at around 10 - 15% most of the time. Even back when I only had the ancient AMD X4 965 quad core CPU... ran fine with 4 players, though it did hitch a little bit when all four of us would separate and explore, but that could have been due to the old hdd I had not being able to keep up cuz that CPU at the time only reached a maximum of around 80%.

Unless you're trying to get more than a dozen players on your server, I don't think anyone needs to spend much money on a server to get it to run smooth; just properly good internet, basic SSD, 8GB of ram or better, and a high end quad core or better (which these days doesn't cost much).

Unity does already support multicore. I'm running several servers on a Dell PowerEdge R710 without an issue. It works less effectively on AMD chips, but so far has been pretty good on Intel.

So I understand how running multiple game servers would utilize multiple cores, but are you saying that a single game server can utilize multiple cores? Because in my testing, I only get utilization from a single core when running one game server.

So I understand how running multiple game servers would utilize multiple cores, but are you saying that a single game server can utilize multiple cores? Because in my testing, I only get utilization from a single core when running one game server.

In my testing, it would use multiple cores when the need presented itself, and otherwise would only use one. I tested in a16 with one server running, set max spawn at 400, and bloodmoon count to 64. We then got 6 people on and had a party. It utilized at least 12 of the 24 cores for the dedi. (might have been 16, but I was trying to defend the base at the same time.) It went great until we hit the max entity count and crashed Unity.

I haven't set up a similar test with a17, but I haven't seen anything different about how it behaves. If one of my servers gets busy, I start seeing multiple cores active.

Archived