Dedicated Server Autosave - Simple DOS Solution

TechieZero

1st off thanks to DEADication for his post here,

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?48291-Control-your-server-with-Telnet-(Putty)

To have your server autosave - basically you need to use 3 things --- DOS batch script, Telnet working, and Plink as described in the link above.

You don't need to have a Plink session running to execute this.

Create 2 DOS batch files, How it works is that the echoed output of one batch file --- pipes into the other for Plink to use.

Here are my working examples.

The main batch file used to call Plink. Call it what you like.bat

@echo off

echo Executing save world script
echo.
echo.
echo.
timeout 36000

:Saverepeat
cls

echo Saving.
echo.
echo.
echo.
7D2Dswcom|plink.exe (your server IP on your LAN without the parenthesis) -raw -P 8081

timeout 1800

echo.
echo.
echo.
echo Looping saveworld script

timeout 5

goto Saverepeat

exit

7D2Dswcom.bat --- used to pipe the echo results into Plink above. Call it what you like of course but this is the example name.

@echo off
echo (insert telnet password here without the parenthesis)

echo saveworld

echo exit

That's all there is to it.

At these settings it saves roughly every 30 minutes.

You can call this from your Dedicated.bat script if you like to get it going after you bring your server up.

The saveworld command doesn't really do anything anymore. All the files are being saved to constantly as the client is working. It's not like this creates an extra copy that you could use as a backup either.

No offense intended, but this won't have any positive affects. It's just going to poll system resources to run a needless command.

• 2 weeks later...
The saveworld command doesn't really do anything anymore. All the files are being saved to constantly as the client is working. It's not like this creates an extra copy that you could use as a backup either.

No offense intended, but this won't have any positive affects. It's just going to poll system resources to run a needless command.

I found that when running a Dedi server --- this is invaluable. Your server for a variety of reasons can go down without a proper shutdown.

• 4 months later...

I have a quick question. So if I run my dedicated server now does it save automatically? If so how many minutes in between saves ? If anyone knows that would help me greatly. I was looking to put an auto save bat in and this tread reads like it is no longer needed or not possible to do. If so that is okay would like to run a server and at least understand how the saving is working currently. Thanks.

41 minutes ago, FrankHoliday said:

I have a quick question. So if I run my dedicated server now does it save automatically? If so how many minutes in between saves ? If anyone knows that would help me greatly. I was looking to put an auto save bat in and this tread reads like it is no longer needed or not possible to do. If so that is okay would like to run a server and at least understand how the saving is working currently. Thanks.

I run an external backup program Smartware using a WD My CLoud to backup every hour - both game directory and game saves structure. I have not known of any autobackup program in-game other than some modlets that have been created. 

Archived