Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any modders that are going to be willing to put in the work to add working colonies with in-game hirable NPCs with roles etc?

If so, that'll be enough for me to be happy, dunno about the others =) I really don't care how that content gets in the game (vanilla, or modded). I just want it, period =P

Comment

I think there is a misconception about what I wrote about the 20-30 hour guys. Fact: Most players quit at 1.5 to 2 hours. We want to polish the game up so that the first 20-30 hours is amazing. Then they can get hooked like most of you guys and maybe they will get 1000's of hours too.

We were told by publishers that we made players crawl over broken glass and they still flocked to our game. What they meant was it was buggy, difficult to learn, slow performance really hard etc. So if we could address that so the first 20-30 hours are amazing, run good, easier to learn, etc etc we'd sell a lot more copies. And it was good advice. Adding power armor/flying dragons etc you can unlock at level 300 doesn't improve the difficult / buggy first 2 hours where most players feel frustrated or not compelled and quit so we'd be better off making the first 20-30 hours really nice so they CAN get hooked and see the beauty and replayability the game has.

Additionally players have said "fix the bugs and performance and get out of EA". Its time for that. Going gold doesn't mean we're finished working on it, it just means its a stable game we can call finished. We can always add more content or dlcs after we go gold, add more optimizations, back port code from new games to the old engine, etc.

At the end of the day it takes money to keep things rolling. If we improve the first 20 to 30 hours of the game we'll have more people say its a great game (2 hour customers are going to review bomb us) and we'll sell more copies and have more revenue for future features. So in a round about way to get what you guys want (late game, more content) this is the correct way to achieve it by finishing the game in a high quality fashion so it sells well and gives us funding to keep updating it. Adding more and more crap to alpha just makes more bugs and keeps us from delivering our KS promises.

Comment

Originally posted by madmole View Post
        Last of us is short but awesome. If you were thrilled the entire 12 hours you'd still be mad? I don't like games like that, I like games that are hobby games too and you can spend 100 to 1000 hours on and put them down, come back a year later and get another 100 or so any time. Most people are game sluts though and want a new game every week.
        That game is a hold your hand while I walk you through this story game. That is not anywhere near this type of game.
        I’m not going to hate on those types of games or the people who play them... but I think if you are interested in making games like that, then go ahead and make a different game that is like that, but please don’t try to fit 7D2D into that.

Comment

Is there a way to mod changes to the map like adding a Mine with a maze of twisty passages (they all look alike - Zork) ?

I like the existing mine with the treasure in the game, it would be cool to expand on that- maybe some massive system with trader, etc.

Comment

Thanks, but what I mean is I want to be able to ship a game in 3-4 years like they can, and I want to be able to have interesting story, memorable NPCs and quest lines like Bethesda and a moddable framework for mod authors to keep the game interesting with new mods for years to come.

As for AAA, I want our game to look and feel close to the quality of a AAA game. That means it runs good on average computers, and visually looks nice and sounds nice, plays nice, all of it. Not "Why does this game look 20 years old and runs like crap?"
            A reasonable goal... Also makes economical sense I guess.

The danger comes, when this type of thinking becomes the driving force...

A few years of very good growth, and then the inevitable crash... But the money's there, so who wouldn't be tempted...
            Last edited by Menace312; 03-11-2019, 06:16 PM.

Comment

If you leave the game "difficult to learn" then it might entice people to seek out assistance here ;-)

Call me a butt-kisser, fanboy, or whatever you want.... but this community absolutely rocks. I've never seen anyone seeking help/advice dismissed or turned away

Comment

They seem to be married to the idea that the game will be "Insert their passionate idea here". We're not targeting anything but the KS list. Always has and will be that way. We've slipped in about 2000 ideas from the community but now that we have to be realistic and go gold they assume the worst and say we're abandoning them. We don't eve know who "them is" lol. Jax's dream game and guppies are two different things. How do we pick?
                I am pretty happy with TFP EA experience as a whole, even with the rocky bumpy parts, that popped up here and there.
                You got my money this go around, and will most likely, get it in the future.
                Hopefully, you give us another opportunity when you go about making "game2", in letting use experience the EA development again.
                Will be interesting (at least for me), to see how far you all will have advanced with everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Menace312 View Post
                  A reasonable goal... Also makes economical sense I guess.

The danger comes, when this type of thinking becomes the driving force...

A few years of very good growth, and then the inevitable crash... But the money's there, so who wouldn't be tempted...
                  Money is a result.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirion View Post
                    I think you're probably right. Peoples' attention span are so short nowadays. Not to mention everyone is in debt, probably due to said short attention span and constantly buying $60 games lol

Still, I myself don't buy $60 games for something that will last me 10 hrs. In fact I don't buy $60 games at all period anymore, so maybe I'm just the outlier. The only times I will EVER consider buying a $60 game is if it is literally something I have been waiting for for 10 yrs or something from my all time favorite game series like final fantasy or something, which is RARE. I buy maybe one $60 game every few yrs. I value my money and my early retirement goals so I only spend that kinda money on something I actually plan to play. My brother knows many people who buy $60 games and then don't even play them. They are also often in debt. Well, their loss while I plan to retire in my 40's to very early 50's while just playing the same games I bought a long time ago because I still enjoy them
                    If I was totally engaged for 20 hours, I'd totally buy a 60 dollar game. The reality is most games lose my interest or cause frustration before 2 hours is up.

Why would you retire unless you hate your job? Start your own business and keep working, or at least have some personal development goals for your retirement. I can retire at will, but I will keep making games as long as I find them interesting to work on. I could quit lifting heavy but I like the progression of it so I keep going. I could stop reading but I like learning and evolving and becoming better.

Comment

Originally posted by Exxodous View Post
                      Remember there is a difference between what you don't like....and what is actually broken. If I try to wear a small t-shirt, it's uncomfortable and not enjoyable. It doesn't mean the shirt is broken...it just means I'm fat.
                      I can barely get into an XL and I'm not fat I'm also 60 pounds over weight but have abs. Don't let anyone tell you what is normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestarcanuck View Post
                        Is there a way to mod changes to the map like adding a Mine with a maze of twisty passages (they all look alike - Zork) ?

I like the existing mine with the treasure in the game, it would be cool to expand on that- maybe some massive system with trader, etc.
                        Just make a POI composed of helper blocks that spawn air or a block, there is no guarantee it is a working maze though, but in a game where you break anything you want mazes don't really do much.

Comment

Originally posted by Splitknuckler View Post
                          If you leave the game "difficult to learn" then it might entice people to seek out assistance here ;-)

Call me a butt-kisser, fanboy, or whatever you want.... but this community absolutely rocks. I've never seen anyone seeking help/advice dismissed or turned away
                          I might piss people off but my intent is to help them.

Comment

If I was totally engaged for 20 hours, I'd totally buy a 60 dollar game. The reality is most games lose my interest or cause frustration before 2 hours is up.

Why would you retire unless you hate your job? Start your own business and keep working, or at least have some personal development goals for your retirement. I can retire at will, but I will keep making games as long as I find them interesting to work on. I could quit lifting heavy but I like the progression of it so I keep going. I could stop reading but I like learning and evolving and becoming better.
                            fair enough. Actually to be honest it's due to annoying chronic health issues (nothing major, but annoying enough to bring my quality of life down) fatigue, motivation etc. Fixing that is my goal and I am having a hard time doing so while having to work a full time job because I need time off to just rest and recuperate etc. Everything honestly sucks when you are just always fatigued and tired. Once I fix that, then I can probably find enjoyment in work again.

lifting heavy is awesome!! I used to train powerlifting style (5/3/1, texas method, etc) but sadly due to ^^ issues I had to retire from that at least for now. Make sure you respect your health unlike me in my earlier years, once you lose it it's so hard to get it back. I hope one day I can also lift heavy again. Dunno when that will be though...
                            Last edited by Cirion; 03-11-2019, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Just make a POI composed of helper blocks that spawn air or a block, there is no guarantee it is a working maze though, but in a game where you break anything you want mazes don't really do much.
                              so is there not a block property that I can set that makes it PlayerDestroyable = TRUE/FALSE ? this would allow us to build (in designer?) places with a mix of breakable and non-breaking items.

Comment

I can barely get into an XL and I'm not fat I'm also 60 pounds over weight but have abs. Don't let anyone tell you what is normal.
                                Well, it's my "abs" that are the problem also. Problem is I've got more "abs" than I used to lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X