This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Gronk View Post
    No, although I'd say it should go inside buildings as real fog will. It's only the warm air of a heated building that dissipates the moisture, with a cold building the fog will permeate throughout.
    It will probably still be in a POI, but turned down.

Comment

Originally posted by Gazz View Post
      There is no specific effect on fog but by... being foggy... it reduces the light level and makes you harder to see.

Now what I would like to see is fog dampening environmental background sounds and making enemy noises appear slightly louder to the player. =)
      Does it drop the fps like some of the other screen effects do?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by faatal View Post
      Maybe. I've seen old code that looked like it tried that, but it could have not worked before and definitely not working now. It will probably get addressed at some point.
      Not trying to start crap, but is this just a gimmick to improve fps by shortening draw distance or something else weird or is this an actual attempt to add artistic value?

Comment

Originally posted by Guppycur View Post
        Does it drop the fps like some of the other screen effects do?

Not trying to start crap, but is this just a gimmick to improve fps by shortening draw distance or something else weird or is this an actual attempt to add artistic value?
        It is cheap to calculate in individual shaders and the deferred screen effect is pretty simple too. I've noticed no difference in FPS, but not yet time to do major profiling until all the graphics changes are done.

The game will probably use 5% to 30% fog in normal play. Heavy fog is what people were asking too see, which modders could use if they want. We could maybe push it to 50% or 70% for special events, when we get to doing events, but above that is too much to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Odetta View Post
          All we need is a radio that plays static when something is near...
          Or a walkie-talkie that comes to life and starts advertising when a merchant is nearby)

Comment

Originally posted by Apoklypse View Post
            So,about upgrading blocks.you go from wood , stone , concrete and steel.

what happened scrap?How do you do reinforged scrap metal for example?
            I believe you can forge iron frames and upgrade those with iron then to concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by Vik220 View Post
              Are irradiated demolishers coming to A19?
              No, we're probably going to do away with radiated variants and use the texture space to make new zombies that are radiated that have their own distinct look.

Comment

Originally posted by Odetta View Post
                Well the smoke in the burnt forest disappears when you enter a poi. So there's a chance.
                That is probably just the particle effect getting culled, fog is not a game object.

Comment

Originally posted by Trankitas View Post
                  Madmole

You guys reworked all zombie skins? Maybe some screenshots? Please
                  No just one so far, it can take weeks to months just do do one zombie properly for pbr.

Comment

Originally posted by madmole View Post
                    No, we're probably going to do away with radiated variants and use the texture space to make new zombies that are radiated that have their own distinct look.
                    I like the sound of that. A grossly mutated zombie sounds good.

Comment

This sounds awesome. I hope you can pull it off.

Comment

No just one so far, it can take weeks to months just do do one zombie properly for pbr.
                        Are those new zombies going to completely replacing the current model of zombies or will they be added in addition, or are they going to be those special radiated ones? I know the Wight and Spider models are pretty old so could use a redo, but others might not need to.

Comment

Originally posted by Guppycur View Post
                          Its actually going to work, look better and not have endless edge case bugs like windshields and glass not sorting, etc. We're not planning on heavily fogging the game, but there has always been a subtle fog since A1. There still might be "foggy" days, but weather still needs polished to be shippable, but that isn't the focus here, the focus is to get linear lighting working properly and fog was one of many things that had to be changed to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Haidrgna View Post
                            Are those new zombies going to completely replacing the current model of zombies or will they be added in addition, or are they going to be those special radiated ones? I know the Wight and Spider models are pretty old so could use a redo, but others might not need to.
                            Any normal zombie you see that has a glowing green variant will be deleted and some new radiated ones made from the ground up to look mutated will be made to replace them. Probably about 3-4 unique ones, plus cops and wights off the top of my head.

Comment

Any normal zombie you see that has a glowing green variant will be deleted and some new radiated ones made from the ground up to look mutated will be made to replace them. Probably about 3-4 unique ones, plus cops and wights off the top of my head.
                              Excellent news.

Comment

Originally posted by Gazz View Post
                                There is no specific effect on fog but by... being foggy... it reduces the light level and makes you harder to see.

Now what I would like to see is fog dampening environmental background sounds and making enemy noises appear slightly louder to the player. =)
                                Thanks Gazz.

About the sound effects. I don't understand why you would want to do this. Why would you think that fog would make sounds appear closer than they really are?
                                Besides, sounds are already like this in the game. I hear a zombies and it sounds right next to me when really it's farther away. As in on the next floor or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X