This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JDogg126 View Post
    You don't know what you're talking about. Sorry to be so blunt but the reason to crowd source is precisely to make the game you want and not be beholden to suits with the money. Supporting a crowdsourcing project doesn't make you an investor in any remote way and does not require the devs to take your input in any way whatsoever. Full stop.

Asking for group input can be useful at times but group think yield mediocrity every time. It's import for TFP to be designers and for them to deliver on the game they pitched that got people to buy EA but they shouldn't take too much direct influence from players who general would know a good game design unless they were shown it.
    Since ye were blunt, I'll be blunt as well.

That's pretty darn offensive, actually, all things considered.

Shouldn't take too much direct influence from players?

Players don't know 'good game design' unless they were shown?

Only people who view themselves as elitist would ever think that someone else doesn't know what they want.

It's also assuming the player base is a bunch of ignorant people who don't have any clue or insights into game design at all. This, I also think is an incredibly false and dangerous assumption.

Do you think the players are incapable of knowing, and saying, what they want to see?

Some of our players have been playing video games for decades. Do you think they don't KNOW what they want to see and what they vehemently do NOT want to see in a game they play?

Do you think just because someone is MAKING a game, that they automatically have any clue whatsoever in regards to game balance?

Take a look at all the games out there, and games in this genre. Take a look at games like Warcraft or other MMOs. Balancing is a huge thing. They refine and re-refine, and re-re-refine the balancing constantly. Almost every patch. And a lot of that input is from the community.

Any time some dev gets the bright idea that they know better than the players what the players want, disaster strikes 9 times out of 10.

The community is a HUGE and FREE resource.

Use it more, grow some thicker hide if you are going to be 'in the trenches' with the players, and learn to appreciate it for what it is, not rail against it for what it isn't.
    Last edited by Belrindor; 01-09-2016, 07:13 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

I think a group of people just throwing ideas out is not going to yield a focused product. I also think too many people play every game like their last game so they look for and suggest similar features for every game they play. A forum is a place where moderators are constantly forcing harmony and removing agitators. In that environment you end up with heavy doses of groupthink which results in mediocrity. In short this is not the place where you're going to be able to really sort out ideas for a game. To pretend that it is seems so silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Belrindor View Post
        You offered your idea. People expressed exactly what you asked for. I know sometimes it's hard to hear that your ideas aren't really liked. And disbelief is expressed in "Gee, I don't know why you guys don't like this..."

Well that's because they think it sucks, bro.

Since when is expressing someone's thoughts about how this would be a very BAD idea with how things currently are in-game, considered 'trolling'?

Implement global PVE without serious changes, and you'll have endless griefing. Yea, I know you don't give a rat's patootie about MP, your brother made that infinitely clear. But some of us do.

Do you know what 'trolling' is, Richard? It's something you don't want to hear. Unpopular speech. Or that which doesn't 'toe the line' in my 25+ years as a server and forum admin, I've seen that term thrown around every time that someone says something that someone else doesn't want to hear.

No, it's not 'trolling'. It's pointing out your flaws.

You asked. People answered.

You seem to think your presence in the forums is some gift or godsend.

Come down from on high a bit, and realize that your CUSTOMERS presence in your forum is the gift.

If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen, and if you don't want honest answers, don't ask honest questions.

It's really that simple, brother.

The latest option proposed based on the good feedback has been pretty much accepted by everyone not taking away anything. I'm not about not not hearing opinions thus the poll was posted in the first place.

Freedom of speech is a great thing but only if your actually on the same topic and have good things to offer to the conversation.

These choices below will improve whats there for server admins. This is indisputable by rational logical people. To say anything else is simply trying to stir up an argument which I won't do with you. If you can't see this logic than I guess don't understand game development.

Here are the best options

1. Kill Anyone
        2. Kill No one
        3. Kill Strangers Only
        4. Kill Friends Only

This is not to say we wont add additional land claim options to help server admins make an even better Pvp or PvE expedience.

Again I thank those of you who have made this debate pleasant.

Cheers Richard
        Last edited by The Fun Pimp; 01-10-2016, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zartuim View Post
          As a server owner, I like the option of being unable to kill players at all.

However, that said, I think it should automatically enable 100% protection of the Land Claim Block area, until the off-line limit has been met. This would stop people from complaining about griefers wrecking their base without any recourse of protection.
          I think this deserves reposting.

Comment

Originally posted by JDogg126 View Post
            I think a group of people just throwing ideas out is not going to yield a focused product. I also think too many people play every game like their last game so they look for and suggest similar features for every game they play. A forum is a place where moderators are constantly forcing harmony and removing agitators. In that environment you end up with heavy doses of groupthink which results in mediocrity. In short this is not the place where you're going to be able to really sort out ideas for a game. To pretend that it is seems so silly.
            Disagree, If the Dev's look into the forums and see a idea that they have not thought of and see the merit behind it, they can take that and refine it to fit their needs. You are right in the fact we don't know exactly what they are shooting for and if they just pick a whole bunch of ideas and slap it into the game it'll probably be a train wreck, thats still a 'IF' though. I think you are not giving the The devs (any game devs, this is not specific) the credit of making it work if they like it enough and it fits in what they want to accomplish. Ideas spark other Ideas no matter the source.

Case in point with this poll.
            Last edited by Tin; 01-09-2016, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HydroXTV View Post
              They always have been offending their customers in the first place. Madmole regularly insults their customers that speak their mind. EVERYONE who is regularly online here KNOWS that madmole gives "facts" without knowing em.... best example is(i cant quote it 100% but it was like that)

the arrow damage of a12.0 or 12.1...dunno exactly. He said that "all is fine" after PLENTY of people been saying that the arrow/bow dmg early game is too low.... 2days or so after he said "now that ive tested it,i gotta say youre right, i have not tested early game for quite a while just to make "end game" more interesting.....

so he accuses his customers as LIARS WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING WHAT HES TALKING ABOUT.... and thats not the only example of madmole (and other mods/devs do that too) .... Ive got plenty of friends that have similar examples. So instead of saying that WE ARE TROLLS they better get THEIR ♥♥♥♥ together and start taking criticism properly But yeah..... fanboys stay fanboys,eh?
              Yeah never seen them call other people trolls, I have seen them call people being ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s and not respectful with their comments though, fyi don't just say whatever as fact cause there is no reason to believe your point or "plenty of friends" as proof without actually showing proof (I am not going to dig through thread to prove your point). Then you failed by simply dismissing the majority by calling them fanboys, gj.

I voted for no on friendly fire change as if you can't shoot anyone the trolls will just break in and steal stuff and cause trouble with no chance of stopping them besides maybe a mod maybe saying no to them.

Comment

Originally posted by The Fun Pimp View Post
                Folks we’ve been thinking about PVE and Friendly Fire and want your opinion. We know we can improve this a lot and don’t really have a PVE currently but here is a poll with a simple thing we could implement soon.

So we’re thinking about removing the friendly fire game option and hard coding it so you cannot kill players in your friends list ever as this is a redundant option. With this change would come 2 new game options PVE with this setting you cannot kill players on a server friend or not. PVP you can kill everyone but friends on a server basically like our normal game mode now but with friendly fire off.

Note: the above concept would not take priority over larger game breaking bugs.

Cheers Richard
                Let me get this straight since I wasn't comfortably 100% sure what you were saying... So, you guys want to:

1) Make it so that you can't hurt people in your Friends List and remove the option for Friendly Fire.
                2) Creating 2 new game options instead:
                • PVE - Players are not injured by other players' fire.
                • PVP - Players are not injured by fire from people in their Friends List.

Is that right? Sorry... I know how it is in today's fast paced world. Sometimes things sort of "run together", as it were, when we blast text off into cyberspace. :P If I got things right, maybe this will help somebody else out there who were initially confused, too...

Comment

Poll is closed with the given feedback we're considering the options listed below with some work to be done to the land claims as well. Thank you all for your input.

Change the Friendly Fire Game Option to Player Killing with the following choices

1. Kill Anyone
                  2. Kill No one
                  3. Kill Strangers Only
                  4. Kill Friends Only

Comment

Working...
                  X