X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Land Claims, PvP, PvE, Friendly Fire Design Poll

Hey Folks,
    we've been thinking about Land Claims, PvP, PvE, Freindly Fire a little more in-depth. We don't know exactly what we want for the new Land Claim design but we do know there are some missing elements and some things we need to improve allowing server admins to make a more tailored PvP and PvE experience and reduce greifing.

That said please take this Poll which allows multiple choices to be made and help us improve the game. Check all the options you would like to see implemented or agree are needed in some form. Also if you'd like to offer up additional topic relevant ideas towards improving Land Claims, PvP, PvE and Friendly Fire we'd like to hear them. Please stay on topic and discuss only items in the poll or related on-topic ideas. Other bugs and features should be discussed in the appropriate thread. As we do not yet have server analytics we would also like to know what current Land Claim Game settings and options you do like and use.

Cheers Richard
    The Default Land Claim size and choices are too small 41, 61, 81 and default 101 would be better
    7.34%
    We need a Land Claim 'Show Build Area' toggle option to show claim size when building
    15.42%
    We need a Land claim 'Remodel Base' toggle option to allow easier demolition
    10.49%
    Your last placed claim is your only active claim preventing cheaters from greifing the world
    5.56%
    For PvP Landclaims should offer protection but not remove the breaching and raiding gameplay
    8.20%
    We need an option to set the friends building privileges in your Land Claim area
    14.22%
    We need an option to set the friends remodeling/demolition privileges in your Land Claim area
    12.04%
    Add an option for Land Claims to make the owners blocks indestructible and never decay for PvE
    7.97%
    Add an option for Land Claim areas to Damage Strangers Only preventing griefing in PvE
    7.05%
    Improve friendly fire options: Kill Strangers Only, Kill Anyone, Kill No one, and Kill Friends Only
    11.70%

Hi Richard,

The polling aspect of your post is missing.
    Either that or it is yet to appear

Comment

Its up and running

Comment

Awesome. As per "For PvP Landclaims should offer protection but not remove the breaching and raiding gameplay", this is a big one. One of my thoughts was to have the claim block gradually increase in toughness as blocks are damaged inside the claim, eventually reaching a point where diminishing returns make it too costly in time and resources for an invader to continue. That way someone sizing up a base for a raid would have to decide the best entry point, and make efficient use of the damage they do before it becomes too difficult. That would limit the damage done to a player's base, but still allow a raider to make off with some loot. Most raids happen when players are offline, so actively defending your base is rarely a thing.

As far as the greater picture of PvP and PvE, it would be nice to have designated PvE areas even on a PvP server, like "this is the settlement where the freidly NPC are living". Something like a beginner zone where there is place to build and some starting resources, but players would ultimately need to forage beyond this in order to advance.

Comment

Originally posted by 7daysguy View Post
          Awesome. As per "For PvP Landclaims should offer protection but not remove the breaching and raiding gameplay", this is a big one. One of my thoughts was to have the claim block gradually increase in toughness as blocks are damaged inside the claim, eventually reaching a point where diminishing returns make it too costly in time and resources for an invader to continue. That way someone sizing up a base for a raid would have to decide the best entry point, and make efficient use of the damage they do before it becomes too difficult. That would limit the damage done to a player's base, but still allow a raider to make off with some loot. Most raids happen when players are offline, so actively defending your base is rarely a thing.

As far as the greater picture of PvP and PvE, it would be nice to have designated PvE areas even on a PvP server, like "this is the settlement where the freidly NPC are living". Something like a beginner zone where there is place to build and some starting resources, but players would ultimately need to forage beyond this in order to advance.
          Great feedback,
          your comments above to me would be inline with a larger claim so players can make multiple compartments to guard the claim and their goodies. We like the idea of traders and even settlements thus the larger claim sizes although settlements could be non player owned and run by NPCs as well

Comment

At the moment, the players.xml defines what blocks count as land claims, and the "keystone" block is again put somewhere in the database. So when i place a claim, the information is stored in two different places. At the database the game stores that a keystone is placed, and in the players.xml it stores that at the same position "a" (any) block there counts as a claim block.

This causes potential for data inconsistencies. Especially when you have to deal with server providers who do not have a clue what exactly to restore when something bad happens.

So: potentially it is possible to have an older player.xml file and an up to date database. Meaning you have claim blocks that look in the game as claim blocks but do nothing.

You could also have it the other way around. Having blocks that look like any block, and because of an entry in the players.xml they count as claims.

Theoretically you could have an air block acting as a claim in such an inconsistency. (I have not tested this yet.)

I've seen this happening twice. I do not know it this is still present in A13, but we had those issues in A12.

My guess is this stems from an "after design" implementation. But since you are remodelling claims anyway: please fix this.

Cheers Hegel

edit: I probably should add "It seems to me, that this is how it works now" to all of the text above.
            Thanks guys!
            Last edited by Hegel; 01-10-2016, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Claim size?
              Could be a little bigger.
              I'm using 31x31 and you can build quite a lot in that area with your first claimstone but it's too small for a big base.
              That is intentional!
              You need to tech up and make more claimstones if you want to expand.

41x41 as default already seems like a lot to me. This or bigger and you remove a lot of incentive from expanding your infrastructure.

You already have an online / offline value for land claim protection.
              But what does that mean in practice?

If the modifier is low while you are online you cannot leave your base while you are online.
              When I go on a scavenging expedition I often do not return for game days, sometimes RL days!

Right now I cannot see myself ever using two different claim modifiers because being chained to my base doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

I would want a rule that looks like "online and within x meters of the claimstone".
              Then you actually have a chance to defend your base while it is lightly protected and the lower claim modifier has a purpose.

And if you try to cheese it by running or logging during an attack?
              Well, if you're not defending your base at all it is guaranteed to fall and you already told the attackers that you don't intend to defend it.

Should allies count towards "online and within x meters of the claimstone"?
              I think yes. If they are actual allies. =)

If a player kills you within your claim area, the claim modifier of nearby stones is lowered by X %.

This could be implemented by having destruction stages for claim stones.
              If you die, all nearby claim stones are damaged by one level, down to a minimum.
              They auto-upgrade after a while (like poured concrete setting) so you can still leave them buried or hidden but while they are "damaged" they provide less protection.

A siege would have a point and could be more effective for the attacker than boring offline raiding!

Newly placed claimstones start at level 1 and need time to heal / upgrade.
              This way you cannot circumvent the whole feature by putting down a fresh stone during an attack. =)

Yes, we definitely need more flexible "ally" permissions / levels.

In fact, even one more level would go a looong way and could even use the UI that you already have!
              1. Friend.
                You can track each other and the friendly fire feature applies.
                You do not see each other's bed / base location.
                You can risk meeting strangers, get to know them, and maybe even have some fun playing... without handing them the keys to your base.

2. You invite this friend again, pressing the same button on the player list UI, and if accepted you are "upgraded" to allies.
                Then you have land claim / building / demolition permission on each other's turf and see each other's bed location.

We need a Land claim 'Remodel Base' toggle option to allow easier demolition
              This should always be active in your claim area... but only work on player-built blocks so it doesn't make mining trivial.
              The "no zombie spawn" flag might work for that.
              That would make it harder to plop down a claimstone and cut through a "barricaded" prefab like through butter.

If it could be limited to blocks that a player had actually built, all the better.

The damaged / auto-upgrading claimstone idea from above could work here, too.
              Only a "higher level" claim stone would have that feature.
              You couldn't just put one down and get an immediate damage bonus against blocks in a prefab or such.

The claimstones of a banned player should offer no protection whatsoever.
              Last edited by Gazz; 01-10-2016, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Kinda, sorta, related -

How about making an "Arena Block", doesn't have to be a block maybe a flag/ statue..(server admins only) that can designate an area as a pvp zone (size definable) So ppl can set up mini games in pve servers? Just a thought for down the road as a extra thing.

Also how about LCB NOT being able to craft and more a perk point system? also defined a max count allowed per person by the admins?

Comment

Currently running PvP server and have landclaims set at 7 blocks with 12x protection. It is set at 12x for both on and offline as we don't think offline works properly. We also currently remove the land claim recipe as they are far too easy to make normally and with some of the existing bugs people could have hundreds of them in no time.

In the PvP world people raid others to get their loot but also land claims (particularly as we removed the recipe for new ones) so making the last placed one the only active one doesn't work for me. By all means have an option but please don't hardcode it. Perhaps have an option allowing max active claims for a player to be set by the server admin. If people are griefing with multiple claims then how are they getting all of these claim blocks? Are they hackers or people who are spending enough time to gather resources etc before griefing?

For the breaching and raiding gameplay, many raids do happen when players are offline and in PvP raiding is a huge part of the game. In A12.5 on and offline protection didn't appear to work so we went with the same for both. It would be great if that could work with different figures and even better if you were able to configure offline as being not in game for a specified amount of time. This would prevent people logging off if there base came under attack when they are online to get the offline boost.

When you talk about indestructible blocks I am assuming you mean indestructible to players only?

Comment

nice poll.... I have another claimblock idea.
                    If you hit a claimed strukture, could the owner name be displayed under the block health?
                    would be nice to know who you are raiding... plus you could knock and know who is living in the house^^

Comment

Originally posted by 7daysguy View Post
                      have the claim block gradually increase in toughness as blocks are damaged inside the claim, eventually reaching a point where diminishing returns make it too costly in time and resources for an invader to continue
                      I like that a lot.
                      It would allow raiding but make total destruction out of spite a boring affair.

This could even be integrated with the "variable protection" concept I outlined above.
                      Only yours works the other way.

As blocks in the claim area get damaged (not by yourself =), all nearby claimstones are upgraded into higher-than-max versions.

These claimstones auto-downgrade over time, eventually reaching their normal healthy level.
                      This system would normalise itself without getting stuck in either extreme.

Comment

Add an option for Land Claim areas to Damage Strangers Only preventing griefing in PvE
                        This may just achieve the opposite.

Put down a hidden claimstone in an area that players frequent.

Wait with your sniper rifle...

I want a way (at least for admins / moderators!) to show how many claimstones a player has currently placed and where.

An admin in debug mode should be allowed to open any door or container without breaking the lock.

This way you can investigate player bases if needed or you can free players that got stuck in other people's bases - through stupidity or some players intentionally building "player traps".
                        Last edited by Gazz; 01-11-2016, 12:30 AM.

Comment

An admin in debug mode should get the SHOW and TRACK options on the player screen for every player regardless of friend status.

That wouldn't just help with "police work". If a player needs help with a bug, this would make it a lot easier to get there.

Comment

As previously mentioned, I think the wording on the Following question should be amended a little..

"Add an option for Land Claims to make the owners blocks indestructible and never decay for PvE" (add to it) subject to the "LandClaimOfflineDurabilityModifie"

Comment

Originally posted by Gazz View Post

I want a way (at least for admins / moderators!) to show how many claimstones a player has currently placed and where.

An admin in debug mode should be allowed to open any door or container without breaking the lock.

This way you can investigate player bases if needed or you can free players that got stuck in other people's bases - through stupidity or some players intentionally building "player traps".
                              I like this one. Very important for admins.

Comment

Working...
                              X