White flickering dots on ground textures and stones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphics White flickering dots on ground textures and stones

I installed a new AMD radeon 5700XT today. Ground textures and big rocks have white flickering dots like a static. I didn't experience that with my previous gfx-card; Nvidia 1060 GTX 3GB.
    Tried installing alpha 17.4 and that looks perfect. No flickering.

I have tried changing all graphics-settings. Nothing has made a difference.

Sounds like it's similar to what's been reported in this thread; https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...frame-Alpha-18

Comment

known issue and being addressed

Thanks
      QA Tester-unholyjoe)

Comment

Originally posted by unholyjoe View Post
        known issue and being addressed

Thanks
        QA Tester-unholyjoe)
        Thanks for the info. Is there an ETA for the fix? I bought this gfx-card mostly to improve my 7d2d experience and instead it got unplayable. I am considering coughing up big money for a nvidia card instead or should I stay cool and wait for a fix?

Comment

to each his/her own as far as which you prefer... I am exclusively nVidia (yes i had bad times with amd video cards way back when), so the choice is yours... as for dates.... listen carefully i will whisper it...

sorry i dont give out dates especially since there is none yet.

sorry hang in there... we are fighting for everyone.

Comment

to each his/her own as far as which you prefer... I am exclusively nVidia (yes i had bad times with amd video cards way back when), so the choice is yours... as for dates.... listen carefully i will whisper it...

Choice uhm ??? My Choice is AMD thx

Comment

FIXED

I got a 2080 Super OC instead. That worked!

Comment

Hmmm ... I've played the current alpha the first time today and can see that white flickering, so I guess this problem still hasn't been (successully) addressed?

Btw, same graphic card as the guy that opened this thread, RX 5700 XT. Game runs smooth as a cat on this one aside from that flickering issue.

Comment

As a workaround for now, you can install version 18.1 which has no such display problem

I'm sure the devs will get to it as soon as they can.

Comment

Originally posted by sammyrc View Post
                    As a workaround for now, you can install version 18.1 which has no such display problem

I'm sure the devs will get to it as soon as they can.
                    You need to install 18.1 AND rollback to 19.11.1 drivers. One or the other will not solve the issue.

Getting this as well on an RX 5700 non-XT. Although, I've noticed that this is only on asphalt, gravel roads, and some (underground) dirt textures.

Comment

There's a sorta-fix for the moment. Force the game to run the GLcore rendering pipeline.

- - - Updated - - -

Adding my bug report to the heap.

I guess I'd call it sparking. Everywhere the terrain is, the 5700 XT on certain systems will render it as if it is being swarmed by flashes of light. Here's a recording of it.

https://streamable.com/7khpm

This isn't my recording but it looks the exact same on my system. I found a few similar captures on steam, reddit and 7DTD forums. The other users who posted them did not leave details for troubleshooting this strange glitch so I will do my best to. I'm going to include the usual logs, system information, etc, but I am also going to highlight some strangeness about my system right up front. I also have a solution of sorts, I'll talk about after the system highlights.

-----------

1.) Mixing intel Haswell(2014) with modern GPU.

I imagine there aren't many people who're running old (in computer terms) motherboards and CPUs with brand new 400$ price point cards. Especially since Haswell was skipped by much of the market. Maybe the bug is constrained to an outdated bios issue where no new bios exists?

2.) My environment is a 100% clean install. Even the 1909 windows update was part of the install media. Most users are probably not running such a clean system, I expect this environment might help distill the issue more cleanly than most.

3.) I'm running windows 10 professional. If developers want me to try something or check something, I have more of the system exposed to me than a home user.

4.) I'm moving up to a Ryzen 3600 on Monday. If that resolves the graphical glitch, it may narrow down this glitch to a motherboard/cpu/gpu compatibility issue.

5.) I had a Nvidia 1060 prior without this issue. 5700 XT having this issue was both on the old windows install, and the brand new one I attempted to resolve this annoying bug.

6.) I tried multiple clean installs AMD's driver suite from October onward. Issue present in all of them.

7.) I did try to undervolt. Run fan profiles. Use Vsync. I verified the card was completely stable in other games and also did stress tests with OCCT, MSI Kombustor, Furmark. Zero artifacts detected in artifact detecting benchmark and stress test softwares.

------------

The solution: Hold shift on launch. Choose to use the GLcore render option. Vulkan and Directx are both having this graphical glitch. GLcore is not. The appearance of the glitch is completely independent from settings other than this. Changing the settings from high to low, or any mixture, doesn't seem to make the glitch any worse or any better.

------------

Forum standard for bug reporting:

Vulkan log: https://justpaste.it/3bfmg
                      Default render log: https://justpaste.it/35jn5

Issue image: https://streamable.com/7khpm

World file: Null. This issue was present on multiple public servers and my own freshly created single player servers. Plus, issue resolves with GLcore rendering, and re-emerges with default and vulkan. The world isn't corrupt.

------------

Summary: The RWG terrain glitters and sparkles madly like some kind of twilight vampire unless one of the two alternative render engines is used.

Game Version: Alpha 18.2 (b5)
                      Platform: PC
                      OS/Version: Windows 10 1909
                      CPU Model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz
                      System Memory: 16320 MB
                      GPU Model and VRAM: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (8047 MB)
                      Screen Resolution: 1920x1080
                      Video Settings: All of the above in vulkan and default render cause the bug. Nothing causes the bug in GLcore
                      Game mode: SP and MP client

Did you wipe old saves? Yes
                      Did you start a new game? Yes
                      Did you validate your files? Yes
                      Are you using any mods? No
                      EAC on or off? On

Bug Description: Projection textures utilized to cover the RWG terrain features such as roads and such as desert dirt fail to properly be rendered as "water-tight." so flashes of the skybox or something else appear through it.

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug:

1) Have a 5700 XT and system specs like mine.
                      2) Launch the game with default renderer.
                      3) Witness the disco inferno of all the ground around you.

Actual result: Incomplete rendering of the contiguous surface.

Expected result: The game to look normal like it did when I had a 1060

Comment

Originally posted by bobross View Post
                        You need to install 18.1 AND rollback to 19.11.1 drivers. One or the other will not solve the issue.
                        That's doesn't seem to be entirely true. I'm running 19.12 drivers without any issues with 18.1. Mind you, I was running 18.10 when I first tried 18.2 and consequently rolled back to 18.1.

Comment

I know you guys have a lot to work on but over 2 (edit: 3) months later I can't even enjoy this game anymore.. Can we please have some sort of estimate on when this bug will be worked on?
                          As for specs, this game ran fine for me up until i added in a 5700xt, unfortunately i sold the card i was using before, and am now left with an amazing GPU (80-110 fps on premium benchmark games) but left to stare at flickering white dots when i try to enjoy 7 days to die.

Comment

Originally posted by ask83r View Post
                            I know you guys have a lot to work on but over 2 (edit: 3) months later I can't even enjoy this game anymore.. Can we please have some sort of estimate on when this bug will be worked on?
                            As for specs, this game ran fine for me up until i added in a 5700xt, unfortunately i sold the card i was using before, and am now left with an amazing GPU (80-110 fps on premium benchmark games) but left to stare at flickering white dots when i try to enjoy 7 days to die.
                            Same. I'm running my RX5700 with Overwatch, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and Generation Zero with no issues on any of them. The issue is ONLY in 18.2 and later, and ONLY with newer than 19.11 drivers it seems, but it requires rolling back to both of those (not one or the other) to make it stop. Also, I attempted to take a screenshot, and it does not appear in the screenshot. I also get the issue on GLCore, unlike others.

I know there's not (currently) a ton of Radeon cards out there, but please for the love of Bob, give us some sign of hope that this is being looked at still.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X