White flickering dots on ground textures and stones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schwanz9000 View Post
    I tend to think supporting the only alternative to Nvidia is a little more important than A18.3

It's only going to grow into a bigger problem as time goes on because of the fact that they're about to launch the 5600 XT for the low end market. It's going to be adopted by the large segment of people that only ever buy 200$ range cards. I'm an existing customer, and an early adopter of 7DtD. It's hard for me to get hyped for a game version update that I wont even be able to play because of the visual bug. It isn't as major as the combat update, or the loot update, or the object decoration update, or the quest update. At some point, the AMD support should come off of the backburner.

I completely relate to Bob Ross on this. And trust me. Each and every driver update has me writing long emails to AMD asking them to fix it on their end. 5 driver release versions and counting.
    Last edited by Gerick; 02-01-2020, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerick View Post
      I tend to think supporting the only alternative to Nvidia is a little more important than A18.3

It's only going to grow into a bigger problem as time goes on because of the fact that they're about to launch the 5600 XT for the low end market. It's going to be adopted by the large segment of people that only ever buy 200$ range cards. I'm an existing customer, and an early adopter of 7DtD. It's hard for me to get hyped for a game version update that I wont even be able to play because of the visual bug. It isn't as major as the combat update, or the loot update, or the object decoration update, or the quest update. At some point, the AMD support should come off of the backburner.

I completely relate to Bob Ross on this. And trust me. Each and every driver update has me writing long emails to AMD asking them to fix it on their end. 5 driver release versions and counting.
      Well when it comes down to it, you have a hard choice. Developing for Nvidia, causes issues with AMD cards. Developing for AMD causes issues with Nvidia cards.
      So who do you develop for? The card that 70% of people have, or the card that only 23% of people have?

They are working on a fix, but it's not nearly as easy as you guys think.

Comment

Originally posted by SylenThunder View Post
        Well when it comes down to it, you have a hard choice. Developing for Nvidia, causes issues with AMD cards. Developing for AMD causes issues with Nvidia cards.
        So who do you develop for? The card that 70% of people have, or the card that only 23% of people have?

They are working on a fix, but it's not nearly as easy as you guys think.
        For beginners, they could communicate about the problem instead of staying hush. As far as I could see with the known issues list, it wasn't listed. Doesn't that prompt worry and speculation?

You would actually be surprised to know I am both a game developer, and a game developer for unity. I'm aware of how complex shaders can be, and the fact that GLSL doesn't exactly behave the way you expect in every implementation. It would benefit other Unity developers and possibly AMD if they gave details about the source of the issue. Is it an issue with splats? Is it an issue with overlapping vertex edges? Is the ground itself not being treated as welded by AMD's surface texture optimizations?

The community around the game itself might actually have some talent that can furnish the developers with some ideas for a fix. You don't have to develop for just Nvidia or just AMD. You develop for direct X. It's not like they're trying to implement real time ray tracing.

Now if the reason for the glitch is too close to something proprietary connected to a custom implementation of their randomgen terrain? I completely understand not wanting to give away details. Still. I've heard three things thus far.

"We can't reproduce it."
        "We found a tester that could reproduce it!"
        "We haven't listed it among other known issues as a bug"

Then I see what I take as; "Here's a meme post that seems to imply people like Bob Ross and I are holding up a localization update?"
        Last edited by Gerick; 02-01-2020, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerick View Post
          Then I see what I take as; "Here's a meme post that seems to imply people like Bob Ross and I are holding up a localization update?"
          No. I was just having a little fun at Bob's words. Apologies if it wasn't taken as light humor.

Originally posted by bobross View Post
          I know there's not (currently) a ton of Radeon cards out there, but please for the love of Bob, give us some sign of hope that this is being looked at still.
          Bob was asking for "some sign", so I gave him a sign. Just something to show that "YES" we're working on it.

Schwanz9000

Comment

LMAO

Comment

No. I was just having a little fun at Bob's words. Apologies if it wasn't taken as light humor.

Bob was asking for "some sign", so I gave him a sign. Just something to show that "YES" we're working on it.

Schwanz9000

Thank you so much for the clarification. It's a big relief and I am eager to return to playing. Haven't quite gotten over that 1,500 hours mark after all. :P

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what happens to the road textures at night with this issue? All of the videos I've seen are during the day.

Would someone with this issue/video card be willing to record a video at night while standing on a road?
                Extra credit if you show the issue during the day and then use the daytime slider to show night.

Schwanz9000

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what happens to the road textures at night with this issue? All of the videos I've seen are during the day.

Would someone with this issue/video card be willing to record a video at night while standing on a road?
                  Extra credit if you show the issue during the day and then use the daytime slider to show night.

Schwanz9000
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHN7the3os8

The video shows the bug, shows the current settings, shows how changing terrain detail to low eliminates the bug, shows how any other terrain detail setting (including lowest) resumes the bug, shows the bug at night (with and without a torch).

Comment

I'm using a Radeon 5700 I bought earlier this week and I have the "sparkle" effect with 18.3 as well. I didn't notice it at first with this system build I just threw together as I thought I'd start with LOW settings and work my way up. Once I went up it became more noticeable. Now, I have to admit, I just threw this build together to make sure the card worked as the guy sold it at $200. It works, but the cpu is a pentium g4400 which is getting replaced later today with an i5 8400 setup. I have an nvidia 1070 I can throw in later to see if it disappears but I'm pretty sure it wasn't showing up on another build I used the 1070 with. Also, new to the forum and hello lol. I only played this on PS4 when a friend introduced me to it and tried it on PC a few weeks ago. Though I have to admit I'm just getting back into PC games after not having really played them since the Unreal Tourney days. So, I've been kinda hooked on using a recent gaming laptop purchase and revisiting FO4. Looking forward to checking this out on PC though as I enjoyed it a lot on PS4.

Comment

I've also got the flickering pixel clusters in what seems grey textures only like mountain cliff or roads. However i am only having this issue on GLcore, which is described here as a fix! I am also using full amd system, ryzen 5 3600 with rx 5700

Comment

The new AMD driver that came out this week (20.2.2) appears to have fixed the issue for me.
                        This driver update was supposed to fix a large number of issues with stability. I am curious if there were performance improvements also in 7d2d.
                        Edit: I only tested 18.3 (b4)
                        Last edited by lavinog; 02-29-2020, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lavinog View Post
                          The new AMD driver that came out this week (20.2.2) appears to have fixed the issue for me.
                          This driver update was supposed to fix a large number of issues with stability. I am curious if there were performance improvements also in 7d2d.
                          I'll give the updated drivers a whirl. Just bumped the g4400 I mentioned in the previous post for the i5 8400 someone sold me w/ mobo for just over 100. Just finished updating the 1tb SSD taken from an old laptop as the main drive and put in the recommended drivers for the 5700. I'll report on it with current setup and updated driver. I was thinkking of just installing that with the updated parts, thanks for the info!

Comment

Previous drivers w/ fresh rebuild still had barely noticeable white dots/sparkles/what have ya and updating the drivers to 20.2.2 had them gone in the same area I was observing them in. Fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by lavinog View Post
                              Actually, I'm sort of wondering if there was a performance hit. I just got myself a 144Hz FreeSync monitor so I've been monitoring framerates and refresh rate, along with temps on my card using MSI Afterburner. I just spent a couple of hours playing, and while looking at distance, I was seeing two things:

1. Framerates in the 60-80 FPS range
                              2. Clock speeds on my GPU SIGNIFICANTLY lower than they should be.

In other games, I'm seeing my GPU clock up to well over 1900MHz regularly, sometimes nearly as high as 2100MHz, and I've hit sustained periods in the upper 2050-2080MHz range. In 7 Days? Looking at a street scene near sunset with 65-70 FPS? I was seeing 1400-1500MHz with occasional kicks upwards.

Now, this IS on 18.4, but I didn't have a lot of play time with 18.3 before 18.4 released and I can't exactly roll the drivers back and still be able to play cleanly, but again - this is a 7 Days only issue.

And yes, I'm going to report it in the bug post, as soon as I can figure out a solid way to do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X