Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanics No backpack on death, occasionally

Hi, im quite new and am currently playing on SP to get a feel for things

Ive looked through this section and cant find anything relating to this topic

Ive noticed over the last couple of days I can die but I don't get the backpack with my stuff in it drop where I die!!

I currently have it set to "drop toolbelt", and up until a couple of days ago it worked as it should, but recently it has stopped dropping the backpack so I lose my items, which are usually my better quality items

Is this known, and if so is it due to be fixed soon, or is this a new problem??

Thanks

Jason

It is an old problem.

Back bag is an destroyable object like any other. Some times (environment) events "attack" the back bag after player death.

Like cave in where after player had died and dropped the bag and rocks / dirt still falling hit the back bag and breaks it.

The alien cops also break it when player dies just when the aliens are shooting acid at players location.

Dying on a slope causes the back bag slide down and be destroyed.

Sometime zeds keep attacking player location after player is dead and hit the dropped back bag instead.

They can not make back bag indestructible or players would use them as building blocks to dying indestructible walls.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike06 View Post
      It is an old problem.
      Back bag is an destroyable object like any other. Some times (environment) events "attack" the back bag after player death.
      Like cave in where after player had died and dropped the bag and rocks / dirt still falling hit the back bag and breaks it.
      The alien cops also break it when player dies just when the aliens are shooting acid at players location.
      Sometime zeds keep attacking player location after player is dead and hit the dropped back bag instead.
      They can not make back bag indestructible or players would use them as building blocks to dying indestructible walls.
      It is an old problem but I highly doubt that the backpack is being destroyed directly. First of all, backpacks dropped by players are blocks, not entities. Blocks do not take any damage from other falling blocks (ie. cave-ins). Anyway, the block is made of the "droppedBackpack" material.

From materials.xml:
      Code:
      <material id="droppedBackpack">
      <property name="damage_category" value="cloth"/>
      <property name="surface_category" value="cloth"/>
      <property name="Hardness" type="float" value="99"/>
      <property name="explosionresistance" value="1"/>
      <property name="stepsound" value="cloth"/>
      <property name="lightopacity" value="4"/>
      <property name="stability_glue" value="0"/>
      <property name="Mass" type="int" value="1"/>
      <property name="StabilitySupport" value="false"/>
      </material>
      - Hardness 99 means it is 6-7 times more durable than hard metal (gun safes) and reinforced concrete. Stray gunshots / melee attacks / cop vomit is not going to destroy a backpack with direct hits. You'll pretty much need to use a top-quality auger for 10+ seconds to destroy it directly.
      - explosionresistance 1 means the backpack is completely immune to splash damage (dynamite, exploding crossbow bolts, exploding cops, etc).
      - stability_glue 0 means it provides no structural integrity. It will not hold up any blocks attached to its side.
      - StabilitySupport false means you cannot build on top of it and it can not hang on the side of another block. Any blocks placed on top of it (or any falling rocks that become new blocks) will be destroyed.

Despite all this being hard to kill, the backpack has one fatal flaw: being a block, it disappears when it falls. Destroy the block underneath it and the backpack disappears. This also means that if the player's backpack is NOT spawned on the ground (ie. if it spawns in the air when the player dies), it will disappear instantly. If I had to guess at the cause of this bug, it would be this.
      Last edited by ginc; 08-12-2015, 05:15 PM.

Comment

I had a similar issue last night. I died on the road and got my backpack icon on the compass. When I went there, I could not find the backpack. I crouched, stood, reloaded save, basically everything I could but I still could not see it. So, I decided to axe the road to chip away the top layer to see if it would appear. Once I destroyed about 3 block where it should have been, I jumped into the hole and even though I couldn't see the pack, I got the prompt on screen to open it. Did that and got all of my stuff back.

I've also noticed a similar situation when I shoot a deer and it falls down, sometimes it disappears. If I rotate around, sometimes it appears in my peripheral vision but not in my direct vision. I did this until I knew exactly where the deer was, looked at that spot and got the prompt to open the deer. As I was harvesting the meat, the deer would pop into view and disappear several times.

I'm wondering if there may be a terrain mesh issue that covers things up in certain places? I'm no expert on the situation but in the case of the deer, this might be a valid thought.

Comment

I just had this bug this morning. I had a backpack FULL of goodies, stepped on a tin mine and died. No backpack, it's gone. Along with my mood of playing this game.

Comment

Originally posted by SenLim View Post
            I just had this bug this morning. I had a backpack FULL of goodies, stepped on a tin mine and died. No backpack, it's gone. Along with my mood of playing this game.
            I'm pretty sure if you blow yourself up, the bag goes and has done that for ages. I remember my first time hitting an oil barrel with a stone ax and poof everything including me gone. I just chocked it up to i blew myself up..I deserved a kick in the rump.

Comment

A horde destroyed my backpack... I had it on my map for a while but then when the horde was over it was gone.

An explosion doesn't necessarily destroy a backpack, I've blown myself up with both airfilter mine and explosive bolts... the backpack was still there.

But yea, the backpack still disappears when it shouldn't, like that time when I died from one gravel faling on my head. I hope they fix this soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike06 View Post
                This is my number one annoyance with the game right now. You're punished for dying on a slope (hill or cave/tunnel) by your backpack skiing its way down unrealistically and disappearing at the bottom. Wouldn't it be more realistic, more immersive and less frustrating for the backpack to break open like a piٌata and drop the items all over the ground? You'd still be in trouble if you can't collect your things before they despawn, but at least you have a second chance.

Comment

I can confirm this bug. To me it happens for two reasons that are somewhat similar:

1. Mining
                  You mine and get hit by a sudden gravel drop. Then the gravel hits the backpack and destroys it.

2. Getting swarmed by Enemies
                  When you drop your backpack on death and an enemy dies on top of you it will spawn a gore diamond that cannot be held by the backpack and it drops down, thus destroying the backpack. This happende to me twice when i acidentally fell in a spike pit and zombies swarmed me. Everyone dies and the backpack is gone.

Solution to both is that the backpack should not be destructable by falling objects.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilKnievel82 View Post
                    I can confirm this bug. To me it happens for two reasons that are somewhat similar:

1. Mining
                    You mine and get hit by a sudden gravel drop. Then the gravel hits the backpack and destroys it.

2. Getting swarmed by Enemies
                    When you drop your backpack on death and an enemy dies on top of you it will spawn a gore diamond that cannot be held by the backpack and it drops down, thus destroying the backpack. This happende to me twice when i acidentally fell in a spike pit and zombies swarmed me. Everyone dies and the backpack is gone.

Solution to both is that the backpack should not be destructable by falling objects.
                    I agree. Just give the backpack more ability to support weight structurally. I don't mind being required to dig it out from under rubble because I did something stupid like cause a collapse, but it ought to still be there.

As an alternate for the piٌata solution, damaging the backpack's contents would even still be less frustrating than the whole pack vaporizing.

Comment

I think I read where they are making the durability of the backpack 1000 for a13. Should eliminate most of these problems. Just not the one where the pack spawns inside the fridge. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by nitnoid View Post
                        I think I read where they are making the durability of the backpack 1000 for a13. Should eliminate most of these problems. Just not the one where the pack spawns inside the fridge. ;-)
                        Maybe a longshot, but do you have a link to that? This is the first time I've heard of it.

Comment

It was post #13750 in Developer Diary: Alpha 13. The packs are cloth now but have their own material with 1000 hit points now, or in a13 if I read that correctly.
                          Last edited by nitnoid; 11-11-2015, 10:15 PM. Reason: Found mm's post

Comment

Nice! I captured the link here. Can't wait!

Comment

In A13 the Backback still gets destroyed if a zombie decomposes on top of it-> Gore Pyramid removes Backback.

Comment

Working...
                              X