X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanics Not getting enough skill points in single player

I think we need 1 more skill point per level

Here's the thing: In previous builds we could raise all of our crafting skills by "doing" you didn't need to spend points on it. I don't mind this change from a gameplay perspective but it does make skill points all the more difficult to spend. They used to be for "perks" neat little quality of life improvements and are now needed for actual important survival skills

With that change along with all the new electricity being gated behind skill perks and on top of that we can no longer steal workstations from POI, in a single player game that's a bunch of additional skills that we are now coerced into paying for if we want all the work stations at home (it's not as big a struggle in multiplayer ~ but wasn't the game always supposed to be balanced for single player too?)

As it stands just putting points into crafting (since we can't earn them by doing), using the new electrical systems and having the work stations at home, we can only really buy about 64% of the perks in game. We're 690 points short of getting "everything".

Now, let me make it clear: I do not ever expect to be able to buy "all the perks", but as it stands now it's hard to even be a great crafter in single player without gimping yourself entirely in all combat perks

I believe adding 1 more point per level would create a better balance than where we are now. You would be 490 points short of "buying everything" but you'd be able to specialize in at least 1 ranged weapon, 1 melee weapon and not feel gimped on crafting in single player

Note: none of my numbers include any skills you can raise by "doing" that's 1300 points of skills that you should be expected to raise from activity and not spending your level up points on

But just spending your level up points on perks and you are currently 690 short? Feels, off in single player

There's 1894 points required for "all the perks" (and another 1300 worth of skills you raise by doing), you only get 1204 points at end game (that's all levels + the 10 from starter quests)

It sure would be nice to be able to buy a little more than 64% of the perks in a single player game

There's an ongoing conversation on the steam forums as well:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/251570...scn=1499612744

Please realize I'm not asking for "all the perks", just a better balance than where we are currently

I need around 250 Skillpoints more than i can have, to have all i want.
    Sounds not that bad.

The Skillsystem is [WIP] and we diskussed it here a lot
    https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...-spam-crafting!

Comment

Originally posted by Royal Deluxe View Post
      I need around 250 Skillpoints more than i can have, to have all i want.
      Sounds not that bad.

The Skillsystem is [WIP] and we diskussed it here a lot
      https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...-spam-crafting!
      Well, the biggest change is that without spam crafting (and I'm fine that it's gone) this is many hundreds of points that you can no longer obtain by "doing", and the amount you get from leveling was not adjusted enough to compensate

Previously you could level gun smithing, weapon smithing, armor crafting, clothing, tool smithing, misc crafting, all the crafting skills by "doing"

Well, if I have to buy all of those from level up skill points, thats that many "perks" I can no longer buy because the points have to go into "functional" crafting skills rather than actual perks (quality of life stuff)

That's simultaneously compounded by not having the ability to steal chem stations and work benches, which means in single player thats more skills that are you pseudo encouraged to spend points on that were previously easy to skip

While simultaneously shoehorning in a bunch of gated electrical stuff and well.. who doesn't want to play with the new electrical stuff?

What you end up with is a volumetric amount of new skills that must be purchased from level up points, many of which you could have previously raised by doing or skipped.....

I think it's a bigger issue that's worth talking about outside of a thread about just spam crafting

I go into this in more detail in the steam thread linked above

Comment

Originally posted by kunovega View Post
        Well, the biggest change is that without spam crafting (and I'm fine that it's gone) this is many hundreds of points that you can no longer obtain by "doing", and the amount you get from leveling was not adjusted enough to compensate

Previously you could level gun smithing, weapon smithing, armor crafting, clothing, tool smithing, misc crafting, all the crafting skills by "doing"

Well, if I have to buy all of those from level up skill points, thats that many "perks" I can no longer buy because the points have to go into "functional" crafting skills rather than actual perks (quality of life stuff)

That's simultaneously compounded by not having the ability to steal chem stations and work benches, which means in single player thats more skills that are you pseudo encouraged to spend points on that were previously easy to skip

While simultaneously shoehorning in a bunch of gated electrical stuff and well.. who doesn't want to play with the new electrical stuff?

What you end up with is a volumetric amount of new skills that must be purchased from level up points, many of which you could have previously raised by doing or skipped.....

I think it's a bigger issue that's worth talking about outside of a thread about just spam crafting

I go into this in more detail in the steam thread linked above
        Progression config has a section:
        Skill points gained per level: "1"
        You probably want to change "1" to "2"
        Still sad this system doesnt allow non-whole numbers tho....

Comment

Please don't necro threads.

Comment

Working...
          X