Learning by doing

daret

I hope, Devs will add some sort of "learning by doing" in the game again.

Like ... for 1000 head-shots with bow, you get 1 skill point to archery, after 1000 cooked meals, your Master chef skill will increase, or something like this.

Books could add something to the progression, ...

A17 is great, but the skill click point system is not satisfying.

Completely agree. They have already proven they can do it in this game, so I don't know why they abandoned it. In my opinion, the Skill/Perk Menu is completely redundant and lazy, and they should get rid of it. All skills and perks can be tied to actions in some way. In addition to base action of mining or fighting, things like scoring lots of blows to the head makes it more likely that the perk "Headcrusher" will pop, and you get a bonus, etc etc. They can be all tied to action; skills and attributes with their own XP meters, and perks with a 1% or so chance to gain the bonus, or improve the bonus.

I've gone back to 16.4 because I really dislike the gameplay now. The new POI's are amazing, but A16 was so much more fun to me. I think they were trying to make the game less "grindy", but they ended up making it grindier than ever before. Now you have to kill legions of zombies so that you can get better at.... electronics??? Organic leveling is a refreshing RPG mechanic, and several fun games use it to great effect, like Mount and Blade or State of Decay.

Lastly, recipes have no business being learned from a click menu. They should ALL be out in the world. They've totally neutered Crack-a-Books, as a result, and the journey of learning is what I really miss about A15/16.

Finding books, witch can learn you something amazing makes looting much more interesting.

I don't care about leveling, xp, ... I want to survive, explore, build.

I actually like early stage more. Looting is important, because of cooking pot, clothes, food, .... You have to think before you enter some house, because you are too weak. You need backup plan, second escape way, etc.

Later is looting less important, you are stronger and have "everything". Yes, you get stronger zeds, but ... I don't like them (silly green radiated zombies).

Doing things is the best way how to learn something, is much better then adding points to it.

I'm afraid devs will not revert to the old skill system, but I hope they will add something to it. I hope they will make looting more attractive.

Completely agree. They have already proven they can do it in this game, so I don't know why they abandoned it. In my opinion, the Skill/Perk Menu is completely redundant and lazy, and they should get rid of it. All skills and perks can be tied to actions in some way. In addition to base action of mining or fighting, things like scoring lots of blows to the head makes it more likely that the perk "Headcrusher" will pop, and you get a bonus, etc etc. They can be all tied to action; skills and attributes with their own XP meters, and perks with a 1% or so chance to gain the bonus, or improve the bonus.

I've gone back to 16.4 because I really dislike the gameplay now. The new POI's are amazing, but A16 was so much more fun to me. I think they were trying to make the game less "grindy", but they ended up making it grindier than ever before. Now you have to kill legions of zombies so that you can get better at.... electronics??? Organic leveling is a refreshing RPG mechanic, and several fun games use it to great effect, like Mount and Blade or State of Decay.

Lastly, recipes have no business being learned from a click menu. They should ALL be out in the world. They've totally neutered Crack-a-Books, as a result, and the journey of learning is what I really miss about A15/16.

Totally agree, and sadly I don't think TFP will bring back the organic system, hopefully we might see a mod in the future that implements this type of progression.

• 3 weeks later...
Totally agree, and sadly I don't think TFP will bring back the organic system, hopefully we might see a mod in the future that implements this type of progression.

I really hope so. That's really the only way I can bring myself to play A17 again. They've been pushing the limits of realism and immersion, you know? So you can't implement things that then break the immersion so badly. Why does this blueprint have a 30 minute timer on it? That's what a "potion" does; not a blueprint. In multiplayer, if someone is building/mining while the others are looting, then the builder is getting almost no XP, while the looters are getting ALL the XP, from encountering zombies.

Archived