Augur & Chainsaw Eat Too Much Gas to be Practical

PewP3r

Compared with an upgraded steel pick/axe, the augur/chainsaw really don't confer that much of a benefit vs. the amount of gas they consume. I get the speed perk, which means you save about 1/3-1/2 the time vs. manual work but it's just not worth it with the rate of gas consumption. For example, I was picking away at some bulletproof glass just now... With my steel pick, it takes me a bit more time per-block but the augur would also cost me 150 gas per-block. That's a bit unrealistic, no? Where's the incentive to use these advanced tools? Also, compared to gas consumption of vehicles, the augur and chainsaw are crazy-inefficient which is unfortunate because to me they're basically end-game tools that I should be using all the time.

I have 5,500 shale and 48 gas barrels, day 90, level 131... While I could plow through my gas using these tools, it doesn't make economical sense. Just because I have enough gas doesn't mean I should overlook the gross lack of consumption balance between these tools and vehicles. If I was a billionaire, I could hire a private driver to take me everywhere I wanted to go as well but that doesn't mean it makes economical sense. I'm talking realism here. And yes, I get that this is a zombie game but I do appreciate a bit of realism in the actual survival mechanics.

If playing on 50% block durability the auger is crazy good. I usually play this way, cause mining is just a slog otherwise, and I like my bases being more vulnerable to zombie attacks.

On 100%, yeah the auger should be a little better.

Of course, explosives SHOULD be the king of mining, sadly they are nearly worthless for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived