Some things I dream to be added to the game

The Blue Fox

I decided my personal wishlist for stuff to be added to the game needed it's own thread.

I'm gonna leave out stuff that's already in high demand (see the stickied high demand thread) and just focus on stuff I, personally, would love to see implimented into the game.

A couple of these are a bit of a stretch and may be unlikely to ever be added at all but, what the hay, I'm putting them in anyway.

----------

Let's begin with combat...

Dual-weilding

The addition of a secondary hand slot so you can weild a second weapon or item in your off hand. This would lead on to the implimentation of...

Sheilds

Attatch it to the secondary hand slot and you can use it to block attacks and maybe also somehow bash zombies.

There'll be a few different types of sheild, starting with a weak starter wooden sheild, upgrading to an iron sheild, a forged iron sheild and a forged steel sheild. There'll also be a riot sheild. That's about all the sheild variants I can think of right now. I'm sure there's more stuff that one can make a sheild out of.

Swords

For a bit more melee weapon variety beyond just clubs. Short swords, katanas, broadswords, you name it. All made from cold, hard iron and steel, and all of them dealing quite a bit of cutting damage that inflicts bleed, and can easily chop off limbs and heads of zombies and other enemies.

Two-handed weapons

From spears and quarterstaffs to assault rifles, machine guns and flamethrowers. In order to weild these, your secondary hand slot must be empty, the tradeoff being weilding much more powerful weapons than anything you can hold single-handed.

----------

And now to steer the subject away from weapons and combat...

Boats

Fishing is a high demand mechanic. You know what would go great with fishing? Boats! Plus it'd be a great way to traverse large bodies of water rather than having to swim all that way or try to find a way around.

I would love to see a manually powered rowing boat, a slow sailing boat, plus a couple of motorized boats, one for cruising and fishing, the other purely for speed.

There'd also be a really good reason to use boats, that being...

Swimming hostile mobs

Waterlogged zombies are already mentioned in the high demand list, but I feel there can be more water-based threats than that, like zombie piranhas and hungry sharks!

Working plumbing

Keeping to the theme of water, I'd like to see the ability to build water pumps and piping for a working water delivery system for if the player builds their base somewhere not close to any natural water sources.

More general mob variety.

As well as more zombie variety, I'd like to see some variety with all kinds of other mobs. Especially flying mobs, since right now it's just those dumb, annoying vultures flying around.

----------

And this is where we get to the ideas that are more out there.

Trains? Trains.

I would *yay*ing LOVE to see trains and train tracks implimented into the game. It would be an amazing way to travel long distances across the map quite quickly.

There'd be a whole train technology teir system. First you'd start with a ratty little thrown-together cart of a train powered by wood and coal, complete with ratty little thrown-together wagons which have storage boxes sitting on them where you store loads of loot to take back to base.

Then you work your way up to a proper wood and/or coal powered steam engine, then a gas can powered deisel, and if you're really ambitious, you can build electric cateneries or a third rail for an electric locomotive. The wagons will become more like proper freight cars and passenger carriages as you go along as well.

Yeah, you heard me, passenger carriages, that other players can sit in while you drive if you're playing multiplayer. Oooh that would be just magic.

Could also add railway signals to help you know the track is clear...otherwise there could be a nasty, potentially explosive accident if you got more thaan one train running around on a track!

Speaking of the tracks, you use wood for sleepers obviously, and at first regular iron for rails, but then you can upgrade them with forged iron and forged steel for lovely high-speed track.

As for how you lay the track, I want to see smooth, realistic railway curves, not janky right-angles like in Minecraft.

Let's have it so you lay track point-to-point, with a ghostly preview of what it would look like before you actually place it down, pretty much like how

only the tracks in 7 days to die will be normal train tracks not a monorail.

Also we could have abandoned train station POIs in the cities, players could fix them up and use them as actual stations for their own trains.

The trains could essentially act like portable mini-bases. Store up some weapons to defend yourself with and let the zombies come!

...I'm a bit of a train nut if you can't tell. Hehe.

Airfield

The player can work to build a runway, taxiway, hangar and possibly contol tower on a bit of open, flat land, and then build some kind of device that signals THE *YAY*ING AIRDROP PLANE to LAND THERE and drop off it's cargo so you always know where to go for the airdrop.

What's more, potentially the player could BOARD THE AIRDROP PLANE for a "You survived and escaped to a human stronghold" win condition. Having this as a final objective to work towards could be amazing for the game as a whole and a satisfying conclusion to all your efforts on each fresh new map.

As a reward, it could also switch you from survival to creative mode for that map you completed so you can muck about with stuff you otherwise couldn't do in your playthrough and build whatever you like!

----------

And finally...

Bring back log spikes and zombie body looting!!!

----------

Let me know what you guys think of my ideas and feel free to add your own ideas that aren't already in the high demand list or generally requested a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
I must admit I'm a little dissapointed my post didn't get more responses and other people's opinions on my ideas. I really thought I had some good suggestions that people would like.

Pimp Dreams section isn't very active; it's mostly just wish lists.

• 2 weeks later...

Initially I missed zombie looting, but atm it's not all that necessary. The new system, where zombies drop loot more rarely but it's guaranteed to be good is better, if you ask me.

I'll back you up on Log Spikes/Trunk Tips though.

Trains would be a major, major chore to implement, and while fun, would take a lot of time usable for smaller, more immediately useful mechanics.

I do like the plane idea, especially since it could involve building a base to defend your airfield while the plane spirals down to land and then refuels.

As for new weapons-the important question to remember is, what's the use-case? Knives do slightly more damage than clubs (iirc) and can be used to harvest animal corpses. Machetes do that, much more damage than clubs, and iirc inflict bleed. What does a sword or katana do? What tier unlocks it? Why is it worth unlocking?

Shields at the cost of power strikes is an interesting idea. Expand it.

Okay, let's break this down...

Initially I missed zombie looting, but atm it's not all that necessary. The new system, where zombies drop loot more rarely but it's guaranteed to be good is better, if you ask me.

I suppose it is nice to know a zombie even dropped something immediately rather than having to check corpse after corpse after every 7th night or after you had to deal with a whole bunch of them in general. I dunno, maybe down the road they can look into how to deal with zombie loot again but for now I guess the loot bag is fine.

I'll back you up on Log Spikes/Trunk Tips though.

Thank you! Oh if anyone's interested, I found someone called Foxbond made a mod that makes them available again for survival; Foxbond Log Spikes Modlet

Trains would be a major, major chore to implement, and while fun, would take a lot of time usable for smaller, more immediately useful mechanics.

Mmm, I will admit, trains were the most pipedream of all my suggestions. You'd be pouring who knows how many resources into buiding a train and track and possibly station. Though you can essentially get a mobile base out of it.

Maybe someone could do a train mod or something but I highly doubt TFP will include trains as a vanilla feature.

I do like the plane idea, especially since it could involve building a base to defend your airfield while the plane spirals down to land and then refuels.

Yeah, having to defend the airfield from zombies would have to be part of it. Maybe even having to clear a few hordes before the plane can land.

As for new weapons-the important question to remember is, what's the use-case? Knives do slightly more damage than clubs (iirc) and can be used to harvest animal corpses. Machetes do that, much more damage than clubs, and iirc inflict bleed. What does a sword or katana do? What tier unlocks it? Why is it worth unlocking?

Swords can have more reach than knifes and machetes, and can slash at zombies, inflicting way more damage, but cannot be used to carve meat from animal corpses for obvious reasons.

They can have a extremely high chance to inflict bleed damage AND can potentially have a moderately high chance to decapitate limbs and/or heads of zombies with every power attack.

Obviously you need to craft them with forged iron, and upgrade to forged steel for a much stronger, sharper, better blade.

I dunno about what tier to unlock it at, best leave that to the game designers.

Shields at the cost of power strikes is an interesting idea. Expand it.

I'm...not really sure how to expand upon this.

Yeah, having to defend the airfield from zombies would have to be part of it. Maybe even having to clear a few hordes before the plane can land.

That said, in the early dev videos for 7Days (and I dunno if this is still canon) Navezgane was/is one of the few remaining unspoiled spots after a global nuclear war. Where else would you go?

Alternately, bringing in more survivors from whereever the plane's from could work pretty well-consider Mad Max Fury Road's moral of "when the old world is gone, all you can do is make the world where you are, better."

Swords can have more reach than knifes and machetes, and can slash at zombies, inflicting way more damage, but cannot be used to carve meat from animal corpses for obvious reasons.

They can have a extremely high chance to inflict bleed damage AND can potentially have a moderately high chance to decapitate limbs and/or heads of zombies with every power attack.

Obviously you need to craft them with forged iron, and upgrade to forged steel for a much stronger, sharper, better blade.

I dunno about what tier to unlock it at, best leave that to the game designers.

The other issue is that machetes would need to be rebalanced. Right now they're unlocked with Steel. If it were me doing it, I'd make Katanas unlock first (because technically they're highly refined pig iron) with the second rank of Hammer & Forge, and deal high damage at the cost of being extremely flimsy (half the durability of a comparable Knife) and if possible make it impossible to repair them in the field.

Longswords would unlock with Steel.

I'm...not really sure how to expand upon this.

Stunning shield bashes, perhaps?

That said, in the early dev videos for 7Days (and I dunno if this is still canon) Navezgane was/is one of the few remaining unspoiled spots after a global nuclear war. Where else would you go?

Alternately, bringing in more survivors from whereever the plane's from could work pretty well-consider Mad Max Fury Road's moral of "when the old world is gone, all you can do is make the world where you are, better."

I think I remember something about them wanting to do something about having some NPC survivors in the game.

Maybe there could be some NPC survivors randomly dotted around the map hunkered in some hiding places and you have to rescue them and give them some well-defended place to hang out and help defend. And you have to look after them with food and water and stuff. Oh, and you can tell them to go look for resources as well.

The other issue is that machetes would need to be rebalanced. Right now they're unlocked with Steel. If it were me doing it, I'd make Katanas unlock first (because technically they're highly refined pig iron) with the second rank of Hammer & Forge, and deal high damage at the cost of being extremely flimsy (half the durability of a comparable Knife) and if possible make it impossible to repair them in the field.

Longswords would unlock with Steel.

Sounds good to me.

Stunning shield bashes, perhaps?

Oh. Yeah, absolutely. Sheild bashes shall have a chance to stun zombies.

• 4 months later...

Something I've seen suggested a few times by various 7dtd fans is an airport POI. And yes, I am inclined to agree. It has to be a really rare POI, and once you find it, you can fix it up and use it for my "call down the airdrop plane" idea. Would save a ton of time.

Could have a similar idea for my trains suggestion...train station POIs complete with broken down trains, carriages and freight card and broken stretches of track dotted along the wilderness between the larger cities. Could fix all that up to help yourself along with building a working railway system if you like.

One thing I forgot to mention about my trains idea is it essentially becomes a mobile mini-base so you can travel along and have somewhere with tonnes of storage for you to loot the towns and cities with, saving you from having to continually run back and forth for potentially miles between your base and a city you're looting.

Also, something that came up in another thread is the fact that we have no real reason to go into the water. So the addition of valuable underwater loot like sunken treasure chests and sunken POIs seems like an obvious solution to me. This would also neccessitate the need for craftable diving equipment.

Also also, I was looking at my swords idea and was thinking it sounds a little OP the way it is. I mean, a fairly easy to craft weapon with a high chance to inflict bleed and cut off zombie limbs? That's a bit overkill for most of the zombies you'll have shambling about the place. So maybe a way to balance it out is swords don't have a good amount of durability. We can say that the sword loses it's sharpness due to continued use and the only way to repair it is with a grind stone or something, and you can only craft a fresh one with the forge.

Also also also, I saw working stoves be a commonly requested thing, and I fully agree. A working electric stove that you gotta hook up to your generator but it's much better and more efficient at cooking food and boiling water than anything else. Like, it cooks meat at a 1 raw to 1 cooked ratio rather than 5 raw to 1 cooked. I'm also thinking there can be a craftable barbeque grill kind of thing that can be a midpoint between campfires and the electric stove, cooking food and boiling water better than the campfire but not as good as the electric stove, and cooking meat at maybe a 3 raw to 1 cooked ratio.

Not gonna lie, alot of your ideas just sound stupid. Very few people are going to take the time to build an airport or a big train track, if those things were implemented.

You mentioned weapons like an assault rifle and a machine gun... we have both those things in game already.

i like alot of these, mostly the shields , swords , and stuff to worry about in the water.

but like what you said in one of my Post. it gave me some ideas about the water to make it worth going into to.

like some very tall trees that like to grow out or in the water, some Drowned zombies that are covered in mud, some zombie with plants growing out of them. Gators , that lake lurker idea. loot to find , sunken boats , and crashed cars , boxs , junk , and all kinds of stuff to find and scrap in the water.

weapons like shields can be both used for Offence and defence, to bash and to block. (it can't protect you from stuff like bombs and Ap Rounds but it can help you in melee action. (the block cost stamina and Speed)

and some special mods like Stun mod that acts like a nerfed down Stun baton, and the Spike mod that allows you to bash and deal more damage.

• 4 weeks later...

I gotta say, as amazing an idea as it is, working trains and train tracks are indeed a bit of a pipe dream and highly unlikely to be implimented in the vanilla game. Though maybe someone with the knowhow and too much time on their hands who likes the idea enough will make a train mod. That would be cool.

I do like the airfield endgame idea. Especially that suggestion that it summons a special extra large, extra difficult horde you have to defeat before the plane arrives. Then maybe once you beat that and get in the plane the player can be rewarded with being able to activate creative mode for that specific save so they can muck about doing whatever they like.

Totally agree with all of your other ideas in your original post plus your two cents on the popular electric cooker idea. Also having a craftable BBQ grill to bridge the gap between campfire and electric cooker sounds good to me.

As for swords...I appreciate you realized how overpowered they sounded in the original post...your idea to make them only craftable in the forge and having low durability to balance out high chance of dismemberment and bleed is pretty clever...this makes it so players will want to save swords for the tougher zombies out there. After some fine-tuning to balance how powerful they are v.s. how difficult they are to craft / maintain, swords could be amazing.

I do hope TFP are actually paying attention to this forum and taking notes of all the good ideas being suggested. I noticed they haven't been keeping that "Current High Demand" thread up to date. I know they're busy with the game but some feedback acknowledging our input would be greatly appreciated.

I think I mentioned / agreed to somewhere else in this forum the idea of scythes and rideable lawnmowers so the player can cut large areas of grass if they so wish.

The scythe could also trip zombies and have a chance to cut off their legs, and obviously if you ran them over with the rideable lawnmower they'd get chopped up by the blades.

Another thing I think I mentioned / agreed to is the idea of having animal pens so you can keep and farm animals much more easily.

If you manage to keep chickens they should occasionally drop eggs for you.

• 2 weeks later...
Not gonna lie, alot of your ideas just sound stupid. Very few people are going to take the time to build an airport or a big train track, if those things were implemented.

You mentioned weapons like an assault rifle and a machine gun... we have both those things in game already.

I would totally build the train track, bridges, and platforms. The airport, not so much. Definitely the train though.

Saw a few people suggesting the ability to attatch turrets on the sides and underneath blocks. I have to 100% agree with them. Be a great way to add more turrets to a kill corridor.

Another suggestion I saw is steel bars and yeah, why the heck do wooden / iron bars not go up to steel? It would make total sense.

Let's begin with combat...

Dual-weilding

The addition of a secondary hand slot so you can weild a second weapon or item in your off hand. This would lead on to the implimentation of...

But how would you use the tool-belt? If you tap a tool-belt number, which hand would take that item?

Sheilds

Attatch it to the secondary hand slot and you can use it to block attacks and maybe also somehow bash zombies.

There'll be a few different types of sheild, starting with a weak starter wooden sheild, upgrading to an iron sheild, a forged iron sheild and a forged steel sheild. There'll also be a riot sheild. That's about all the sheild variants I can think of right now. I'm sure there's more stuff that one can make a sheild out of.

This seems to make the game even more arcade-style... While I am not against the idea of dual weiling or shields, in fact I think it would be interesting, I do like the simplicity of the current system.

Swords

For a bit more melee weapon variety beyond just clubs. Short swords, katanas, broadswords, you name it. All made from cold, hard iron and steel, and all of them dealing quite a bit of cutting damage that inflicts bleed, and can easily chop off limbs and heads of zombies and other enemies.

Swords are on my wish list too.

​​​​​​​

Two-handed weapons

From spears and quarterstaffs to assault rifles, machine guns and flamethrowers. In order to weild these, your secondary hand slot must be empty, the tradeoff being weilding much more powerful weapons than anything you can hold single-handed.

Forget about two handed and shields and what not, I just want a flame thrower now.

​​​​​​​

----------

And now to steer the subject away from weapons and combat...

Boats

Fishing is a high demand mechanic. You know what would go great with fishing? Boats! Plus it'd be a great way to traverse large bodies of water rather than having to swim all that way or try to find a way around.

I would love to see a manually powered rowing boat, a slow sailing boat, plus a couple of motorized boats, one for cruising and fishing, the other purely for speed.

There'd also be a really good reason to use boats, that being...

And to reach your fishing plots. Would those work in the hotel's pool too?

​​​​​​​

Swimming hostile mobs

Waterlogged zombies are already mentioned in the high demand list, but I feel there can be more water-based threats than that, like zombie piranhas and hungry sharks!

I have a game where I accidentally opened up a hole from below into a river. The river started pouring into my mine. It looked pretty neat actually despite water still being a bit broken, I liked the effect. But will we get crocodiles in our mines when we break into a water body from below? That's the question :-D

​​​​​​​

Working plumbing

Keeping to the theme of water, I'd like to see the ability to build water pumps and piping for a working water delivery system for if the player builds their base somewhere not close to any natural water sources.

I just want a water collection take that fills up when it rains.

​​​​​​​

More general mob variety.

As well as more zombie variety, I'd like to see some variety with all kinds of other mobs. Especially flying mobs, since right now it's just those dumb, annoying vultures flying around.

Seconded. The vultures and dogs are painful but they are part of the world. I just wish vultures would not fly at night. We need a zombie bat...

​​​​​​​

----------

And this is where we get to the ideas that are more out there.

Trains? Trains.

I have a different train idea. The tracks are part of the world, as the current roads are. With tunnels and all. The train is indestructible, and keeps on riding going in a circle and comming past every so often (There can even be a schedule up somewhere)

You can hop on, set up a mini base in a carriage, and just better hope your train comes past when you need your stuff if you do that!

​​​​​​​

I would *yay*ing LOVE to see trains and train tracks implimented into the game. It would be an amazing way to travel long distances across the map quite quickly.

There'd be a whole train technology teir system. First you'd start with a ratty little thrown-together cart of a train powered by wood and coal, complete with ratty little thrown-together wagons which have storage boxes sitting on them where you store loads of loot to take back to base.

There are train track building games, I don't want 7-days to turn into that.

​​​​​​​

Then you work your way up to a proper wood and/or coal powered steam engine, then a gas can powered deisel, and if you're really ambitious, you can build electric cateneries or a third rail for an electric locomotive. The wagons will become more like proper freight cars and passenger carriages as you go along as well.

Yeah, you heard me, passenger carriages, that other players can sit in while you drive if you're playing multiplayer. Oooh that would be just magic.

Could also add railway signals to help you know the track is clear...otherwise there could be a nasty, potentially explosive accident if you got more thaan one train running around on a track!

Speaking of the tracks, you use wood for sleepers obviously, and at first regular iron for rails, but then you can upgrade them with forged iron and forged steel for lovely high-speed track.

As for how you lay the track, I want to see smooth, realistic railway curves, not janky right-angles like in Minecraft.

Let's have it so you lay track point-to-point, with a ghostly preview of what it would look like before you actually place it down, pretty much like how

only the tracks in 7 days to die will be normal train tracks not a monorail.

Also we could have abandoned train station POIs in the cities, players could fix them up and use them as actual stations for their own trains.

The trains could essentially act like portable mini-bases. Store up some weapons to defend yourself with and let the zombies come!

...I'm a bit of a train nut if you can't tell. Hehe.

Seriously I dont want 7 days to turn into a train management game. I like the idea of having trains, but they are just there, like the traders.

​​​​​​​

Airfield

The player can work to build a runway, taxiway, hangar and possibly contol tower on a bit of open, flat land, and then build some kind of device that signals THE *YAY*ING AIRDROP PLANE to LAND THERE and drop off it's cargo so you always know where to go for the airdrop.

Boring. I like going after the loot box. In multi-player PvP it adds another dimention - will you be shot at when you go after the loot box...

​​​​​​​

What's more, potentially the player could BOARD THE AIRDROP PLANE for a "You survived and escaped to a human stronghold" win condition. Having this as a final objective to work towards could be amazing for the game as a whole and a satisfying conclusion to all your efforts on each fresh new map.

As a reward, it could also switch you from survival to creative mode for that map you completed so you can muck about with stuff you otherwise couldn't do in your playthrough and build whatever you like!

End game. No thanks.

​​​​​​​

----------

And finally...

Bring back log spikes and zombie body looting!!!

I don't need these, there are plenty other things.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

----------

Let me know what you guys think of my ideas and feel free to add your own ideas that aren't already in the high demand list or generally requested a lot.

@Tahaan We're talking about a zombie apocalypse here. I don't think there would be trains just working and travelling around the place. Plus it and the tracks being indestructable has the potential to be quite inconvinient. They could spawn somewhere in the way of something you want to do.

I get your point about my idea turning it into too much of a train management game. Perhaps my train idea should be scaled down a bit to something more hastily cobbled together if it's still to be implimented at all. Maybe something kinda similar to minecarts in Minecraft only they're pulled along by a powered train unit rather than launched by powered rails. And it's more like flatbed trucks that you build on to add storage boxes and defensive turrets and whatnot.

I guess I got a little overeager with my original description since I'm just a big train nut.

Hmm...though a game where you build a functioning railway from the ground up in the way I described would be a pretty cool idea. I would play the heck out of that.

Which hand would take the tool belt weapon? Well by default the tool/weapon should appear in the right hand as you select it. Then there can be a quick button press to switch hands if you want like F does In Minecraft.

As long as there's an open pool of water, the boat would float, so yeah, you can put a boat in a hotel pool for the lolz if you want.

Yeah I suppose it would be possible for hostile ceocodiles/alligators or whatever to go wherever, even being washed down into yer mine by rushing water.

Yeah I wasn't sure if there was any point to implimenting an endgame idea. I mean, the game is meant to be played indefinitely, right?

Still, I like the idea of an airport POI and the idea of having the player set up a dedicated spot for the airdrop plane so it's not dropping at random locations.

Archived