Steam Power (and electricity thoughts)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steam Power (and electricity thoughts)

Disclaimer: while The Fun Pimps are not trying to make a steampunk game, I still suggest this on the basis that it would improve gameplay, and may be even be utilized by a rebuilding civilization for mechanical power due to the requiremets: a container, water, heat, and a little mechanical ingenuity (more steam based weapons and items available to gadget class?)

also: I included video links for the purpose of demonstrating the probability of what I am suggesting, that is all

Base Steam Rules: Steam pressure in system has a max which it can safely hold, once the pressure is above the max it either starts breaking parts of the system or explodes (your choice devs, how unforgiving are you O.o?)

Steam
    steam engine = generates steam power, requires heat source and nearby water source of minimum size
    steam->electricity converter = converts steam power to electrical power
    see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpgZP9edhpk
    steam turret = uses steam power to launch loaded projectiles in aimed direction
    steam mine = uses a massive amount of steam power to blow the top off a metal container in a controlled explosion
    see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B76-Q6CR77c from 32:15 to 37:35
    steam pressure container = holds steam power but requires steam pump to force steam pressure into it, requires heat
    source to prevent liquification, if steam pressure stored is beyond a certain point it might explode, requires steam release valve or auto steam release valve
    I'm not sure whether the steam pressure container would work in real life, but it is worth mentioning
    steam pump = forces steam into another part of system (steam mine might require, steam turret might require)
    steam release valve = player activated, releases pressure
    steam sterilizer = if medical/surgical equipment like syringes and scalpels are introduced, this could go alongside the
    disease mechanic, lowering the chance of infection from use
    auto steam release valve = once a certain pressure is reached (max?) = then releases steam pressure
    turn steam into a trap? Could be active as long as steam pressure is at max capacity, so it could be deactivatable by
    releasing pressure with release valve
    steam valve = cuts off the flow of steam pressure to part of the system (maybe used when there is a broken pipe or if mine needs to be reset, and leaks until reset)

Gas engine = generates electrical power
    Hydroelectric Dam = point of interest with special block that generates electricity but generates tons of noise, filled with zombies and passively attracts more
    Metal roller door = like a small scale garage door (1x2 )that can only be opened when an electric current is applied
    Latcher = some kind of block with a toggle activation that changes the bearing load it can carry on all sides from x to 0, essentially making a block dropping trap more practical
    Last edited by Clauticus; 11-30-2013, 07:19 PM.

I guess nobody cares about steam power

Comment

Originally posted by Clauticus View Post
      I guess nobody cares about steam power
      I liked your ideas, but as I said in a recent post, to be able to build a steam engine then the player would need to learn from books.

The game is set in 2034 so I'd assume that most tech is electrical based, the old skills would need to be relearned.

An addition I think would be pretty useful is a steam driven chain flailer...

The Brits used a form or tank / apc during ww2 that had flailing chains at the front to destroy landmines, well why not have steam driven turrets (linked to a larger system) with multiple spinning chains about 5 foot off the ground, they spin and hit everthing in their range, sort of like sprinklers from hell

Comment

I think that if electricity gets implemented, it should be limited to small gas generators and small solar panels... able to power lights, radio, cattle fences, etc... and of course, the generators attract zombies and solar panels are extremely rare (vibration and sound... so bury it underground or something) Gas generators can be crafted using car parts.

Steam engines might work too and sounds interesting but it also sounds complicated and difficult to implement each part for it.
        Last edited by Fox; 11-01-2013, 11:36 PM.

Comment

i think what most of you are forgetting is this is taking place after a nuke war so most electronics are fried how ever solar panels that were not in use should still work same as wind generators could still be made to work as well as steam power making copper wire would not be that hard light bulbs that did not have electric current running threw them would still be viable not saying it could not be done but defiantly hard to do in a post nuke war but anyway that is just my thoughts on the matter

Comment

Originally posted by wscgsuss View Post
            i think what most of you are forgetting is this is taking place after a nuke war so most electronics are fried...
            I'm not assuming that anything electronic survived (except in the dam example). What i am suggesting is that the player makes all of the piping, mechanical components, etc. that composes the whole steam power system, including all of the larger pieces like the sterilizer and power converter.

Comment

Originally posted by Fox View Post
              Steam engines might work too and sounds interesting but it also sounds complicated and difficult to implement each part for it.
              In reality it is true that steam and electricity work very differently, but the beauty of video game mechanics is that they can be virtually identical. Just off the top of my head there is only one key difference between electric mechanics and steam mechanics, and that is the constant maintenance needed with steam (heat to prevent condensation), I guess that "max pressure" is another one but that exists in electricity also (voltage, its just a lot less prevalent)

Comment

Originally posted by wscgsuss View Post
                i think what most of you are forgetting is this is taking place after a nuke war so most electronics are fried how ever solar panels that were not in use should still work same as wind generators could still be made to work as well as steam power making copper wire would not be that hard light bulbs that did not have electric current running threw them would still be viable not saying it could not be done but defiantly hard to do in a post nuke war but anyway that is just my thoughts on the matter
                I think you're mistaking nukes for EMP blasts... nukes don't have the effects of an EMP, just the radiation which as far as I know doesn't effect electricity.

Comment

I like the idea of adding something mechanical in nature into the game. The basic principle of a particular MC mod that's not worse then a wild dog is that the work involved still exists, it just changes the activities required. There are other mechantical based mods for MC that take the work out of the equation, allowing you to do basically nothing to get whatever you want and I don't agree with that.

Right now I like the idea of staying active in the game, the idea that if I don't constantly maintain my base defenses the zeds will get in. So anything that promotes stagnation is something that I'd prefer to leave out of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Object View Post
                    I like the idea of adding something mechanical in nature into the game. The basic principle of a particular MC mod that's not worse then a wild dog is that the work involved still exists, it just changes the activities required. There are other mechantical based mods for MC that take the work out of the equation, allowing you to do basically nothing to get whatever you want and I don't agree with that.
                    I understand what you mean, Equivalent Exchange is a lot like that. Basically the way I picture steam being used is just when you are in your base and defending. "Fire up the steam engine boys, I hear bandits a' comin'." TFP would obviously edit how much heat and maintenance the whole system needs (which affects how costly it is to use, ie: how much coal you will use to keep it running for a 10 minute period), but I doubt it will ever be something like redstone from Minecraft or wiring from Terraria, where you build it and forget it.
                    Last edited by Clauticus; 11-04-2013, 06:39 PM.

Comment

I like this idea

I like idea of Steam power, it is realistic and cool.

This should be implented.

Comment

I just added "steam valve" to the list, I have no idea how I forgot about that. It is pretty important for cutting off the flow of steam when there is a leak in real life.

Also a note about steam power water consumption: it doesn't need to be a thing if its being pumped from a large water source, because the process never actually involves breaking down or destroying water. Again drawing from a real life example: nuclear power plants. These are essentially giant steam engines, they just have a different heat source, and they can recycle the same water over and over again.

I wish one of the devs or the admin would think about this idea and either say, "Yes we will do it in the future," or, "No, we will not implement this," either crush my dreams or confirm the potential reality. I dislike thinking hopefully about what could be but might not be.
                        Last edited by Clauticus; 11-04-2013, 06:40 PM.

Comment

it would be nice if we got use of steam power. but as said. at 2034 peaple dont know how to use steam like we did 200 years ago. we would have to find some books at a library/school

Comment

Originally posted by Hellevik View Post
                            it would be nice if we got use of steam power. but as said. at 2034 peaple dont know how to use steam like we did 200 years ago. we would have to find some books at a library/school
                            To make the more complicated steam engines, yes, but not for simple ones. By "a simple steam engine" I mean the rocket type, I don't think that it is powerful enough to do anything besides distract a zombie, but it generates rotational power with steam, and it was the first steam engine ever developed, and by the Greeks no less. It was also known as the "Hero Engine."

EDIT: here is a link to a video with a hero engine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FyhNpHeHMM) it is seriously just a hollow ball on an axle, that propels steam out through those tubes to rotate.

By the way, there are plenty of hobbyists out there that like to make steam engines and harness their power, so one possible survivor NPC could be one of those. Another thing, steam is beginning to make a comeback, as it uses far less fuel that purely gas powered cars, and generates much more torque, and steam engines have been made recently that are capable of full power in about 5 seconds.

EDIT: I just had a thought, this could be an incentive to search for survivors.
                            Last edited by Clauticus; 11-30-2013, 07:26 PM.

Comment

heh... considering the loud noise pressure release valves usually create... sounds like a very good zombie attractor...

Comment

Working...
                              X